Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Larini vs 2bular - Page 3 - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Larini vs 2bular

Sorry to resurrect an old thread.  I've had a 2bular valved back box & decat on order since the start of February, but I'm still waiting... 

I'm not here to have (much of) a moan, because I understand it's hard for a small business to manage peaks in demand.  However, I'm getting close to calling it a day, asking for a refund and ordering a Larini equivalent (which is in stock) so I can start enjoying the car again.  It's been off the road for over a month without an exhaust, which was a bad move in hindsight, but indicative of how my expectations have been managed...

Just seeking views whether I might be missing out by going down the Larini route, or if this still sounds 'special' enough from the cockpit?

I don't necessarily want something ear-shattering, but I want it to put a smile on my face without winding the window down, and give the car a sound to match the looks.

There's very few recorded comparisons, so unless you can find someone with a bedded-in Larini to listen to, it's somewhat guesswork.

I found the 2bular I bought for my old Elise a little boomy at some motorway speeds, but I know Jim can modify them to suit (2nd helmholtz chamber, etc) if you're specific about what you desire. When all was said and done, I probably preferred the sound of the induction mods to the exhaust mods. They're definitely cheaper!

Edit to say: My 2bular order to delivery timescale was also months, probably would have been years if I hadn't badgered him on the phone to the point he probably got fed up and 're-prioritised' things.

Edited by trcm
  • Like 1

I listened to a lot of exhausts for for my S and the 2bular was by far the best sounding its just a shame they take so long to get but it was worth the wait

Edited by j141
  • Like 1

Thanks Tom/James.  Yes there aren't many around with direct experience of both, so I appreciate the input.  I was considering using man-maths to justify buying the Larini as well, so I could directly compare myself and then sell one of them.

I think instead I'll be just re-fitting the OEM system with a decat pipe (for some reason my UK MY14 S has a third cat..) so that it wasn't a complete waste of time taking it off, then just wait for the 2bular... 🕰️

I have had a couple of 2bulars on different lotus and they would be my number one choice for an aftermarket silencer. I do agree with @trcm though, you just need to keep on chasing Jim on the phone very frequently. 

• Like 1

Yes I ended up waiting twice as long as I was originally told, at the time I believe Jim had just started outsourcing to Germany for some of the work.  I was very pleased with the end result (had the non-valved back box on my S) - the 100mm carbon tips suited the car perfectly, much better than the trapezoid shape.  It was also boomy at low speed, so would suggest a valved one.

• Like 1

Thanks, yes I've done some regular chasing but getting a bit tired of the false hope, I'd rather an accurate estimate of 'it'll be another two months' rather than 'it'll be shipped tomorrow' (once a week for two months)..

It's the valved box on order so I think it'll be worth the wait at least.  Decat going on tomorrow/Saturday with any luck...

• Haha 1

Just chiming in - I've had a 2bular QT system on order and paid for since the 4th Jan, with an original estimate for delivery of less than 2 weeks.  Like others I've had umpteen promises for delivery dates that come and go, and it appears Jim won't answer the phone to me.  It's now 5 months since ordering and without explanation, my money has been refunded this morning.  I appreciate that Brexit and Covid have had an impact, but as said above, a bit of honesty would be nice, rather than constant hollow guarantees.  If Jim had said at some point during the last months that he couldn't fulfil the order I could have made alternative arrangements and saved myself a whole lot of hassle, instead I've got a trackday coming up at Silverstone in the near future with little time to source a suitable exhaust (Cup 430).  Buyer beware. 

• Sad 1