Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Mudguard brackets.... - Page 5 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Mudguard brackets....

29 minutes ago, Benmac said:

Ooh, could I get a pair too please?

Not looked at mine yet but having "been there, done that" with umpteen stupid brackets rusting on previous Lotus I've owned (the similarly placed brackets on Exiges being a good example) I think it's safe to say that this would be a good investment.

Hi Ben, PM me your delivery/invoice address and email, and i'll send you an invoice over.

Can I put my name down as well please. My car hasn't seen any rain, but having gone through my old Elise S1 converting it from brown screws to stainless, its well worth getting on top of it before they get like those in the photos. THANKS!!

• 2 weeks later...

Ive just fitted a set of there after mine crumbled away and really pleased with the quality and fitment, defo a DIY home job.

I would advise to take special care when removing the apanel top bolts to check how many spacer washers each has (mine had 3 in total).  When reassembling I found the best way to fit is to attach the top 2 bolts first getting the apanel to front clam gap correct, then fitting the bottom ones.  Also a dab of copperslip as always should help future problems

• 2 weeks later...

I'd advise to get on with it now.

Having said that I got my brackets many moons ago and have so far only fitted one side. This is simply that I ran out of time when doing the work and the side I didn't fit is inaccessible in my garage. On that basis this is clearly a case of do as I say and not as I do.

One other tip is that Lotus fit the panel the bracket fits to with heavy steel penny washers as spacers. I bought some light weight plastic washers to replace those too to save even more weight. Why fit light-weight body panels with heavy spacers?  ACBC had a thing or two to say about heavy washers so I feel I'm justified in doing this and not sure why Lotus didn't?

In an ideal world you should avoid fixing stainless to aluminium where water is in contact with both, so plastic washers are not a bad idea at all IMO.

I experimented with titanium brackets when I developed these, but folding them caused them to shear so I think it would have to be done by heating the material with a torch -proved too costly in terms of time given it is after all, just a mudguard bracket.

8 hours ago, Miguel said:

I experimented with titanium brackets when I developed these, but folding them caused them to shear so I think it would have to be done by heating the material with a torch -proved too costly in terms of time given it is after all, just a mudguard bracket.

Now if you could do a titanium exhaust - I was so keen when I heard Lotus were going to offer one, but the price is a bit steep at £5500. I think the wife would spot that on the credit card bill!

Bibs - didn't see duralac in the forum shop? Will have to turn to fleabay.

15 hours ago, Bibs said:

I can pop you a squirt :)

Now there is a sentence I never thought I'd see on this forum.

• Like 1

Blessed with the competence to be a slave to the incapable.

Currently without a Lotus, Evora 400 Hethel Edition in Racing Green with Red leather and 2010 Evora N/A in Laser Blue and 1983 Lotus Excel LC Narrow body in Ice Blue all sadly gone.

You're thinking Brad Pitt

You're hoping for Angelina

You're reality is nearer Keith Chegwin.

Chin up old bean!

• Like 1

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

How many sets of these have been made and sold now @Miguel? Time to retire? :lol:

Lotus should take note of the demand for replacements.

Ive got my set here still (never fitted to my NA) and will do the 400 in the spring.

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

Did a quick count last week as it happens, something like 25 sets so far. Mostly UK but recently branched out to Europe and the US with a couple of orders. Bibs kindly showed a set to Lotus but never really heard anything from them -unsure why they don't just have them made in stainless, it's probably not much more expensive. And no, don't think I'll retire on the proceeds ?

This weekend I took the offside headlight out to do the clear coat and guess what I found?  Yep just some brown flakes where the mudflap bracket should have been.

Michael, Ive emailed you my details as I need a set of your fantastic brackets please.

IMG_4156.JPG

• Like 1

That really is shocking. Where they designed and made in Italy before being shipped to Hethel. Or worse, where they Austin/British Leyland new-old stock that just fitted?

• Like 1

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Its amazing, almost everything else under the front wing looks like new.  To compete on the world stage they need to sort stuff like this out, and I say that as a long term committed Lotus owner and fan.

Porsche GT2 and GT3's do not come from the factory with undersealant and so the wheel arches are very prone to rust, especially as they are hidden by plastic liners. It always surprises me what you find out about the seamingly indestructable Porsche cars when you really start to dig.  GT2 and GT3 owners are expected to dismantle, steam clean and wax these areas every 3-5 years.

Now, who said a Lotus had bad build quality?  Lol - it seems that if your name is Lotus you get no clack just grief. But if your name is Porsche - oh my, well, magnifique, perfection, superb - even when it's not.  Ho hum.

• Like 1

The small print.

Scary bit is these aren't the only mild steel brackets on the car, albeit they're the most exposed I guess. Think i'll get another batch finished as I have a hunch I may get more enquiries soon.

Adrian, email winging it's way to you shortly.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

doh........Ive only just spotted this and I replaced mine with the lotus ones about 2 weeks ago......

mmmmm.....should I buy some spares....lol

:lol:

The Faster You Drive...The Slower You Age

(Albert Einstein  14 March 1879 - 18 April 1955)