Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Upgrading nav maps - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Upgrading nav maps

My nav keeps telling me I need to upgrade the maps. I have registered on the appropriate site and know how to get the data off the unit but can't fudging find where to insert usb stick/sd card/micro ad card ....

where do I insert he memory for the unit to regicide its there and what type should I be using???

stu

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Access to the micro SD slot on the Alpine 920r is behind the removable button panel on the left

It is pretty clearly shown in the manual, the links to which I gave you in this thread :)

18 hours ago, gregs24 said:

Not sure what regicide is but it sounds nasty.

Which head unit are you talking about ?

Regicide is the deliberate killing of a reigning King. Think Charles 1st in England and James 1st in Scotland. I guess the lesson is if you are going to be King, don't be the first King with your name!  :0

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

28 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

Regicide is the deliberate killing of a reigning King. Think Charles 1st in England and James 1st in Scotland. I guess the lesson is if you are going to be King, don't be the first King with your name!  :0

Not looking good for Stuno1 then !

• Like 2

It might not work through the SD card, I know on my 2011 tech pack car there was a USB cable in the passenger foot well right up behind the glovebox, I think thats possibly used for updates. 

Confusion..the instructions state a 'micro sd' card is needed (bottom in the inage) by it is too small???

The top sd card (size unknown) does fit and is 8gb as recommended BUT there is no option to 'collect information' in the menu when you get to the correct place???

image.jpeg

I have the application on my laptop and when I insert the card (via sub stick) it states no device (alpine) can be found. So I assume i would need to get the nav info on the sd card from the alpine unit first, then plug in to computer for latest updates and then back in to alpine unit? 

Yes, download the "device" to the SD card from the Alpine unit then put it into the computer and upgrade - otherwise the app does not know you have an Alpine unit nor which model etc....

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

I think (can't remember exactly) you may need to copy the application update on to the SD card and apply it to the unit first to be able to collect the device information. Hence the warning on the link I gave you above

Clicking on the arrow by the warning on the link above gives you these instructions

http://www.alpine.co.uk/support/firmware-map-update/ine-w92xr-ine-w977bt-navigation-application-update.html

Don't forget to do a back up once you have collected the device information. You can do it on the same SD card

Thanks chaps. No dice, give up! 

- Tried various sd cards of various capacities 

- Tried some after formatting 

- Tried saving the zip folder suggests above and inserting sd card

Wonder if the 2nd owner aspect makes a difference although can't see why it should. The first stages worked ok for me, (i.e. application update, gathering device information and back up), will be attempting map update in the spring.

Maybe take it to a local Alpine dealer??

5 hours ago, Stuno1 said:

Confusion..the instructions state a 'micro sd' card is needed (bottom in the inage) by it is too small???

The top sd card (size unknown) does fit and is 8gb as recommended BUT there is no option to 'collect information' in the menu when you get to the correct place???

image.jpeg

The bottom card is definitely the one you want - the top is a Sony 'M2' card, which certainly won't work even if it fits. You need to push the card in far enough enough that it latches, in case there is something wrong with your slot, here's a video of me inserting a card into mine, after which it was detected by the unit:

(Apologies for the heavy breathing!).

Ta, worked out it was the bottom of the two pretty quickly. Sadly there was a card jammed in the unit which I had to remove and I am now thinking (hoping not) it may have damaged the pins/connectors.

• 3 months later...

Updated the maps on mine this evening, no problems, it took just over an hour to download on to the SD card and upload to the Alpine 920r

• 2 months later...

Did you get a free map update, or pay for the latest ones from alpine.naviextras.com ?

I tried the map update process as mine is using NavTeq maps from 2011.Q3 apparently,

as I was led to believe a newly registered INE-W920R would be entitled to a free update, but haven't found an option to get that :(