Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
The Long Old Road Ahead (Time to Strip!) - Page 11 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

The Long Old Road Ahead (Time to Strip!)

Well today has been pretty busy, mainly interior today as I'm mostly out of dirty things to do whilst I'm waiting for parts to arrive.

Firstly I had to add some flappy ears to the rear window surround as it is partly held in place by the door seals.

Mask if off, spray glue...

DSC05541.jpg

Then press in place.

DSC05543.jpg

Job done.

Needed to do the same on the A pillars, although having fitted them it needs it along its entire length not just the bottom. The previous owner had these held in place with no more nails on the door seals!! LOL

DSC05554.jpg

Also needed to fit the window demister to the passenger side which involved cutting the dash leather, something that I was not looking forward to!

Here the view from behind, access is very poor! Needed to get a good covering of contact adhesive on there though.

DSC05550.jpg

Then slit the leather, and press it into the opening from above

DSC05552.jpg

And then fit the vent, again a bitch of a job....

DSC05553.jpg

Yeah I know its not perfect, but its really not an easy thing to be working with I can assure you and its my first time!

And here it is all fitted, will have to do some work on the slow windows again some time, but for now they are fine! I'm trying to concentrate on essential MOT things only!

DSC05561.jpg

Wired up the starter motor.

Took the battery off charge and thought I'd see what works and what doesn't work.

Heres the list so far......

What does work

Edited by Simon350S

Chunky Lover

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Area all the fuses OK? Does the Turbo have the changeover relay for the headlamps like on the S2? If so check it's the correct type, i.e. has normally-open and normally-closed contacts and that it's working correctly.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

I've not checked fuses & relays yet as it got too dark last night, but it'll be my first port of call today.

I do have a funny strange feeling that a number of relays were swapped back and forth (possibly nicked) whilst all the fault finding was going on with BigSi's car as we had big headaches trying to sort his pods out. They wouldn't come up. Coincidence? We'll see!

Cheers for letting me have them bits Dodgy, my old turbo smoked like a bitch last time I drove her so would have needed a rebuild and the wastegate diaghpram was starting to perrish. These along with the new engine should see her cover many a trouble free mile, hopefully!

Chunky Lover

OK

Headlamps sorted, there was a missing relay that Mutski on here will be enjoying the use of when he gets his engine rebuilt!

Anyways, new relay purchased, pods go up and down, so appart from a number plate lamp gone all the 'main' car lighting now works exactly as it should.

Still the indicators and hazzards to sort.

Brake lights, and a new reverse switch to be obtained.

Frightened the horns onto working by flashing a new halfords set at the car. Scared that it didn't want to have such crap on it the original has now sprung into life following a liberal soaking of WD40 down the compressor outlet! GOD THEY ARE LOUD!!!!!

Off out to check all the dash lights and fit the instrument clusters.

None of my parts from anyone turned up today so I'm stuch doing electrical faulting all day. Atleast that'll be one major problem out of the way!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update

Brake lights working

Hazards and indicators working, they magically started working whilst testing fuses, so I have no doub't they'll pack up again at some point!

Having to drive to LotusBits in the morning to pick up a crossgate cable!

Edited by Simon350S

Chunky Lover

OK few more bits done.

Reverse lights didn't work even when shorted out, had to clean up EVERY conector in the reverse cabling and fit new spades. New switch should be here tomorrow.

Wipers now working, delay module is however not, so just taken it out of the system for now.

Washers working. Jets were all bunged up with black sludge, had to take it out of the car. Don't EVER attempt to do this, its a c**t of a job! LOL However with my chunky arms I managed it, just... be very careful, you lose that wing nut or drop the pipe and your screwed!

Both number plate lights now working.

Thinking about it EVERY light on the outside of the car no works as it should.

Alternator exciter wire reterminated (it was a joke before) so should have no problems there.

Getting there.

No MOT on Monday though Graham, as still not got the engine running. Will be filling her up with fluids tomorrow though.

Edited by Simon350S

Chunky Lover

Good effort mate,

Steaming ahead on this one, its a good inspiration when you have the mot coming up, makes you pull your finger out, Once again great effort in a really short time, job well done and good luck on the grand engine start up :rolleyes:

Regards danny

A

We have insurance! :)

As theres a small possibility I'll be putting petrol in her tomorrow and as I'm doing loads of wiring bits I thought it best to be safe rather than sorry.

A milestone I think.

Thankyou Footman James, stll had my details from 4 years ago, Rachel was very pleasant to deal with.

Chunky Lover

Jon if I had the time I'd pop over and help ya, but ive got 4 days and them I'm away till the factory do.

Well...

Turns out the electrics weren't 100%

Rad fans and interior fans not working. Found the problems after an hour or so of faulting and proving things, there was a loose spade connector in an inline fuse in the engine bay, and 2 earths are knackered and had had supplies butchered from elsewhere, got to finish it off in the morning but they are working now which is cool!

All the binnacle is in and working, its great having a full set of working lights and having all the guages back in just makes the car look that much more finished! :)

One delivery didn't turn up today, and they were the remaining coolant hoses I needed, so I'm just finishing up being 'creative' with the old hoses until such time as the new ones arrive.

Delivery turned up from PNM so I've got a reverse switch, rad fan, gear gaiter and a few other bits from him to pop in tomorrow.

DAD HAS BEEN A HERO TODAY!

He has driven half way around the world to pick up some urgent parts, most significantly my crossgate cable and several other items from the great guys at LotusBits. They are OUTSTANDING! and a flying visit to our mate Sparky :)

New seatbelt from them as well, whilst refitting the old ones, I noticed the drivers belt was not the original and had actually had the buckle shape created with an angle grinder to fit in the clip! :(

Dad got treated to a ride in the LotusBits Micra Rally car and shat his pants almost! LOL

Tonnes of bits here to fit now, but they shouldn't take too long.

Tomorrow afternoon should see me rebuilding my carbs in readiness for fitting them either late tomorrow night or early Monday morning.

MOT Tuesday latest, thats the plan! :)

Fingers crossed!

Edited by Simon350S

Chunky Lover

Got I got wasted last night, ended up going to town clubbing and didnt crawl back in till gone 4am

Still not feeling great, the result of which was a very slow functioning me today!

Forced myslef to go work on the car but everything was difficult, glad I did it though cause I did manage to get quite a bit done.

Todays list....

New rad fan fitted, all connected and cables tidied up.

New otter switch pipe fitted and connected.

Coolant system completed utilising a couple of old pipes.

Turbo oil supply cable made up and fitted.

Cam covers final fit with new gaskets.

Reverse switch fitted

Remaining gearbox oil drained.

Coolant system filled with antifreeze & water. 12 litres so far, will have to top it up when she's running properly and bled.

Engine oil filled. 6 Litres of cheapy oil, will change it out after a few days of gentle runningand fill it up with good stuff.

Gearbox oil filled. 2 Litres, thought these boxes were supposed to take 3?

Then....

Ran her on the starter with the plugs out to see if we can get oil pressure.

RESULT!

Had about 20 psi on the guage towards the end, very happy indeed!

Rebuilding the carbs in the morning, hopefully have them done and fitted by close of play tomorrow. Actually, I WILL have them fitted as tomorow evening I want the car to be pretty much finished ready for MOT tuesday!

Thats the plan anyway, fingers crossed!

Edited by Simon350S

Chunky Lover

20psi on cranking! Not bad mate :)

I cannot believe how much you get done! What a hero!!

Лотос - для тех которые знают разницу

ENIGMA for those who are paranoid or download one :)

Ah well...

Finally beaten, by a set of carbs!

Started stripping them thismoring and after getting one of them part stripped, but struggling to get a couple of bits off, and realising that time was just running too short I had a bit of a flap and gave up on them. Trying to pull me out of the depression I had sunk into Dad phoned a few people and finally came across a garage that said they could do them today. He came and gave me the news and off he trotted super zippy quick to drop them off. Great. Pulled myself out of my pit of self sorryness, with a lot of help from Lisa and went back out to start on the car again.

Lisa and dad then rushed of later this afternoon and picked them up to wizz them back to me to fit....

Oh how rong I was to assume they'd do a good job....

They are stinking, I've got a bag of orings and washers that haven't been used (don't know if they are supposed to have been) and a broken leg on the pivot of the floats of which I believe happened whilst they were in their care. Oh yeah and the choke mechanism is still sticking on the one carb which I can only assume means they didn't take it appart.

FED THE F**K UP NOW!

This pretty much puts the kabosh on me travelling to the factory in it. Very pissed off.

I doubt there will be any chance of either getting them done properly or getting the money back from the garage for what was a

Edited by Simon350S

Chunky Lover

Simon,

Sorry to hear your dramas, we have all been there at some point while undergoing rebuilds,restorations and so on.

Just put it down to a bad day and have another crack in the morning, may be just bolt on the ebay carbs, put some fuel in the car and keep your fingers crossed and see what happens!

Good luck with car and keep us posted regards danny

A

Thats a shame, you were gunning along fantastically. Shows you that people need to earn your trust to do things to your spec/ level of detail. Bag of unused O rings and a broken float leg is abit unforgivable and basic though.

Got to get those carbs right after all the work you've done. Dont skimp on the job that could make or break the car.

Keep your head up!

Simon

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

Oi thomas!! We didnt battle throught that stinking hangover sunday for you too be beaten by a set of carbs!!! End of!! Iam in work till 1 tommorrow and can be with u by 2 want some help?? You have done so well mate dont give in now, ring your sis if u get this before one tommorrow and organise somert i know u havent got my mobile number at present. Peace duds.

I'm very unhappy, this car has taken over my life of late and I have so many other things that I also need to be doing and should have done before I go away Thursday morning.

I'm in the same boat, my GT2 is dominating my every making moment and it's not doing me any good, I understand what you feel like when something goes wrong - I've had so many setbacks it's mind boggling. You do run the risk of spreading yourself too thin over things - if you miss the factory, you miss it's not the end of the world and you'll get it to another factory event.

Accept it - chill out (Bulmers does it for me) and try not to fight the inevitable, it's not the end of the world :)

If I dont get much further this next few week on mine I'm downing tools and chilling milling over x-mas, it's not worth the stress and you do worse work when youre stressed !

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

Oh Simon :) you cannot let it get you down mate, chin up! Can you make a good set out of the 2 sets you have?

Лотос - для тех которые знают разницу

ENIGMA for those who are paranoid or download one :)

Made some phone calls this morning, the guy who did the carbs admitted he did break the pivot post but that the fix should never cause a problem and if it ever does then he will replace it. He's kind of an aquaintance of a friend so I do have a little belief in what he says. The dirt in the barrels of the carbs was from where he had used an air line to blow out all the orifices but he did not flush the barrels out after and for a

Edited by Simon350S

Chunky Lover

Well done mate,

Glad to see your dramas are finally getting sorted, it all does not look so bad the day after will a little chill out session,

Hope you get her sorted and keep us posted ....is she running now!

Regards danny

A