Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Evora Sport 410 - Page 37 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Evora Sport 410

Bibs

• Gold FFM

It's funny but when I loaned my neighbour (911 996 C4S) the 400 for the day, his first comment was "it's so quiet!"

I could pick a lot of words to describe the Evora but I wouldn't have chosen quiet. Seems a lot of 911s, especially later ones and the AWD models have serious tyre roar issues. Massive rear wheels and the wheel arch being basically inside the car can't help.

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
1 hour ago, JT73 said:

(2) opening the window...wow!  The noise from the exhaust is even more epic!  Actually shows that there is a reasonable amount of noise insulation within the cabin.

Windows down and built up area, noise bouncing back off the wall?

The only thing I find with the Evora is that when driving on wet roads, the noise of the water hitting the wheel arches seems quite loud, but I guess that just reflects how quiet the cabin is generally. Only the good noise (engine and supercharger) gets through.

• Gold FFM

Is it the sound of the wheelarches, or the floor of the car? The whole thing is a solid piece of aluminium on the bottom, does make a bit of noise. There isn't a lot between you and it either. The wheelarches on the 400 are some weird felt stuff, I assume the same on the older car

James Martin (JayEmm)

I don't think I have ever driven my Evora with the windows up. Even in the rain. Gosh, I must be weird but might explain why I don't give a stuff about how the stereo sounds. That and the fact I'm practically deaf in my left ear anyway. Hmm, just realised that's the side the wife usually sleeps/sits on too. What a weird coincidence that is....

Must warn my son, marriage is bad for the hearing. And the sex life. Ho hum. At least I have my Evora. Every cloud an' all that.

Bye...

• Like 2

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Just wait for your first tunnel with window down ;)

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

On 11/01/2017 at 08:55, JayEmm said:

@DJW from my experience of the Evora on track, it takes a hell of a beating before anything starts to give up. After about 10-12 consecutive laps I eventually started getting a small wobble under heavy braking, but I think that was relating to something else on my car.

The brakes certainly never gave even a hint of fade. 

My own limited time with an Elise and I have a similar conclusion to @C8RKH, which we discussed at the Xmas meal. The Evora I feel so much more confident in, I can really push it. I expect the V6 Exige is very different to the Elise, but with the Elise I always have this concern it could go badly wrong which just isn't there with the Evora. No doubt more time behind the Elise will change that but the Evora seems quicker, easier.

I think confidence will depend how close to the limit you are. On the limit in the 220 I have incredible confidence with it sliding about at any speed.

The V6 early days felt "like" it gave me incredible confidence. That turned out to simply be down to the fact I was so far off the limit whilst still blown away by its performance. I also suspect it is possible to find the limit of the brakes in the Evora relatively quickly. We had the race pack on the V6 which I believe is the same as the Evora but lighter car. We managed to kill them in a few laps of Ledanon in the summer pretty convincingly. We managed to boil the OEM brake fluid at Spa too on an early trip.   

One of the reasons for getting rid of the V6 was we we're starting to find the limit and the pace at which this happened was a little "thought provoking".

Lotus Register - https://www.lotusregister.com

• Gold FFM

Many moons ago my dad ran a team that was one of the support races for British Superbikes. At one point they decided to rule bikes should use "road spec" brake fluid only. Yeah, that rule didn't last long.

I recall seeing a performance brake upgrade advertised for the Nissan GTR - £20k! Frightening.

A guy in EVO recently upgraded the brakes on his E46 M3 (a known weak point) and that was £5k I think. Car is only worth ten

James Martin (JayEmm)

Changing the fluid is always good idea for regular track day use. That's the only thing I've done to my brakes on the V6 Cup.

The Evora 400 stood up very well to track use at the Goodwood launch. It is dramatically more capable of running fast for extended periods than many of the alternatives such as the Nissan GT-R. The Sport 410 can only be better still. -70kg is one of the best upgrades you could ever give a car's braking system!

This is trackday pace. Running at race pace is an entirely different matter.

I doubt there's a single road car on sale is capable of racing on standard brakes. My Caterham race car is running high spec vented floating discs at the front plus uprated master cylinder, pads, fluid and a brake balance adjuster. I'm now having to uprate the rear brakes due to too many races ruined by brake fade. I never once had any brake issues at all with the standard brakes in over 10 years of trackdays in the same car.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Maybe I'm just a big girl but I like to think I've always got a little bit left in reserve on a track day - its just odd that the Evora is the most expensive car I've ever had, therefore the one I shouldn't track... but I just want to!

• Like 1

James Martin (JayEmm)

Jonny: agree. You already have the two piece AP Breakes on the Cup, right? I had the standard breakes and they just didn't survive the heat (especially in Spa) well ... the Pads were ok ... 

The PFC now are just ones you can't kill no matter what ... 

21 hours ago, NW76 said:

Jonny: agree. You already have the two piece AP Breakes on the Cup, right? I had the standard breakes and they just didn't survive the heat (especially in Spa) well ... the Pads were ok ... 

The PFC now are just ones you can't kill no matter what ... 

The LF1 had the 2 piece brakes the same as the Cup. 

Lotus Register - https://www.lotusregister.com

Well I think the availability of a alc st wheel in red was mentioned in an Option list some time ago, so part of the "normal" Option list I guess

Would like to see a 410 with the Tartan seats / int trim (no kidding - I really like them in the exige, ok I also ordered imperial blue seats with my Evora, more a minority Thing / decision ;-)

That's just the normal option list for the 410, the seat will be red alcantara also. It was just not ready yet was I was looking for an order.

I've got leather and alcantara in similar car (elise and PGO) and every time I much prefer alcantara.

I feel that more confortable and it's not too hot or too cold depend of the time. I've got also better feeling when driving with no sliding in the seat.

For this steerling wheel, my reserve on it is to don't have a place in leather to put my hand all the time when driving (like it is in the Club Racer), as mentionned, it will be dirty quickly.

But it's easy to clean, for grey one, I don't know for red but with the right product it should be.

Why be classic when you can be unique

for you chaps with a 410, are you able to comment on how much less civilised the 410 is compared to the 400? getting any kind of test drive in a 410 is proving remarkably difficult!! I am interest to know cabin noise and how much firmer the ride is, if anyone is able to comment, it would be much appreciated!