Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Radio for Esprit S2? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Radio for Esprit S2?

Just wondering.. does anyone know what radio was originally in the Lotus Esprit S2?

Looking to buy one at the moment but don't know where to look. I've seen a few 70s radios on eBay etc. but if I put a random one in wouldn't that ruin originality? Or does a radio not matter much? 

Much obliged.

Find an old sales brochure . That will list the optional extras like radios

Find an old sales brochure . That will list the optional extras like radios

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Been looking for a couple of weeks now for any radio in the 70s era but it seems everyone now knows the value of classic car parts.. seen several go for 40 to 50 points which I am not paying I'm afraid. Just a heads up if anyone else is looking for one. Hopefully there will be one at a car show for cheap.

We have just gone through the same process and have fitted a sharp which the car had at the time. I can get the model number if you want.

BTW we ended up having to buy three as on the first one the radio worked but not the tape player and then the older radios have special connectors that we could not get hold of. We now have a spare set of connectors and one which is tape only and a second that is radio only if you are interested.

C43 

• Like 1

That'd be great if possible mate, thank you! 

Oh wow sounds good, I'm assuming they are all the same size to fit? 

Aj

9 hours ago, Aj said:

That'd be great if possible mate, thank you! 

Oh wow sounds good, I'm assuming they are all the same size to fit? 

Aj

yes standard size. they are at my brothers so if you want I will send you his e mail address and you can talk to him directly. We have connectors, one sharp tape player and one sharp radio and tape player but the take does not work (no sound). They are black and look perfect IMO.

Christian

• Like 1

Sounds great mate that'd be very useful! Any idea how much you/he would want for one? Thank you!

Aj

• Gold FFM

I am sure I have a Blaunkput somewhere that came from an S2. It has radio cassette and was working.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

I had an very early S3 and a 78 Eclat both fitted with the same unit, hence when I got the offer of this one I took it knowing the scarcity.

• Like 1

That was great thinking mate, most people have chucked their old radios away - the reason they are rare I assume.

• Gold FFM

I think I may have two units as I had to break an early Eclat a couple of years ago that a guy used a still saw on to remove the engine. True, he was a clown. Anyway the car was wrecked so I bought what was left off him as spares parts for future use. If I can find them you can have one for the postage but give me a week to dig it out as I cleared my garage last time home to make way for the task I am about to start tomorrow, changing rear wheel bearings, plus I will have to remember where I stashed it when I cleared the garage and shed out.

• Like 1

Speak to Andy Graham at Lotus. He can tell you exactly what was in the car when it left the factory. I did and found an original Motorola radio cassette. It is so crap it's unbelievable but it has Lotus written on it which makes it brilliant!!!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johnpwalsh said:

I think I may have two units as I had to break an early Eclat a couple of years ago that a guy used a still saw on to remove the engine. True, he was a clown. Anyway the car was wrecked so I bought what was left off him as spares parts for future use. If I can find them you can have one for the postage but give me a week to dig it out as I cleared my garage last time home to make way for the task I am about to start tomorrow, changing rear wheel bearings, plus I will have to remember where I stashed it when I cleared the garage and shed out.

Haha that does sound amusing! Wow I'd really appreciate that mate! Sure thing, good luck with the bearings it'll be worth it!

48 minutes ago, PhilW said:

Speak to Andy Graham at Lotus. He can tell you exactly what was in the car when it left the factory. I did and found an original Motorola radio cassette. It is so crap it's unbelievable but it has Lotus written on it which makes it brilliant!!!!!

Haha sounds good mate! I may have to try that

• 3 weeks later...

Just read that the series 1 and 2 radios were not standard size.. Does anyone know if this is this true? Don't want to purchase one from eBay or something if it won't fit! 

Edited by Aj

Oh okay thank you buddy! Glad I didn't waste money on one I was watching. Don't suppose you know the size roughly?

On ‎16‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 22:24, Aj said:

Just read that the series 1 and 2 radios were not standard size.. Does anyone know if this is this true? Don't want to purchase one from eBay or something if it won't fit! 

I do remember in the 80s making up and spraying filler plates to enable me to mount a clarion tape deck  in my mk1 astra y reg. So yes there were odd sizes units that had little  to do with the size hole the dash the car makers made. 

• Like 1

Oh wow okay mate! That's fair enough. I was thinking of increasing the size of the hole to fit one but I'm a huge fan of 100% original so not sure if that would ruin originality or if it counts as an 'adaptation'. 

I've just ordered my provenance certificates from Andy Graham who confirmed that my car came with no extras.

The factory option radio for the S2 was a Motorolla LT551 or LT558, so it could have been that mine was either a dealer or retro fit.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Daniel said:

I've just ordered my provenance certificates from Andy Graham who confirmed that my car came with no extras.

The factory option radio for the S2 was a Motorolla LT551 or LT558, so it could have been that mine was either a dealer or retro fit.

Nice one mate, thanks for the info!