Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
3.0 V6 Conversion - Page 4 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

3.0 V6 Conversion

I think it just did.........oops! no it looks like I've started it off again. biggrin.gif

Ok,

Q.Whats the injector flow rate of a 2001 Jaguar 3.0 V6 @ 4.5 bar fuel pressure (black injectors)?

no seriously I need to know.

Punky

I just spotted this in the question thread.

I assume you know you defo have 4.5 bar (not that it actually matters), but the best way to work out the required fuel value in MegaTune is to actually measure the injectors you have.

All you need is one of these.........

IMG_0733750x562.jpg

Just hook up each injector to a 12v source (as long as it is a high impeadance injector) and run it for a minute, measure how much fuel is ejected into the bottle and that is the vaule to use in MegaTune.

You really should test all your injectors anyway as they are second hand to make sure they all have the same flow rate (-/+ 5% ish) and a good spray pattern otherwise it will make mapping a bit of a pain.

You could also damage the engine because if you have one injector which is much less than the others then that cylinder will run lean at WOT and melt the piston, not good!

Hilly

1981 S3 4.2 V8 6 speed (The Mutant)

Mutant V8 Conversion Thread

Knowledge is power .................... apparently.

Something to tempt you to spend money when you've got a few gigs under your belt.....

prod4_big.jpg

Clicky

Very sexy.....

Simon

Yes they do look very nice, but the inlet tuning lenght will be way off (too short for the 2nd and 3rd harmonics) which will destroy the low end torque of the engine.

Fine for a race engine which spends most of it's life in the upper third of the RPM band, pants for a road car.

If you look at Punky's lovely engine pics from a few days ago, on the wiggly inlet manifold there are 2 inlet runners for each cylinder, one shortish one for the upper rev band and the longer one to generate more torque low down, the ECU will switch them over at a certain RPM using valves.

Even the short OEM runners are longer than those TBs, Ford/Jaguar go to the effort of having both for a reason.

Hilly

There is an intake system out there that i've only seen once and can't seem to find again that lookes like a hand written lower case "e" or omega sign joined at the feet. It uses the multiple resonance frequencies that can be accomplished by a loop system... because of the loop you have the possibility of harmonic resonance of every wavelength multiple of the loop circumference.

Modifying esprit's.. now that's fun..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

• 3 weeks later...

Just read through this - stunning work. Tip my hat to you sir - you've done a A1 job on that.

Love to hear how you get on with it in the near future.

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

There is an intake system out there that i've only seen once and can't seem to find again that lookes like a hand written lower case "e" or omega sign joined at the feet. It uses the multiple resonance frequencies that can be accomplished by a loop system... because of the loop you have the possibility of harmonic resonance of every wavelength multiple of the loop circumference.

I'll admit I'm old skool - those TBs are lovely.. are we not on the verge of getting into volumetric ram-induction here chaps - usually it's achieved through an cam/rpm trigger rather then vacuum pressure sensor and requires an active inlet plenum. Thing then is you need to have a compromised outlet manifold to take both. Putting the green hat in the drawer for one second - personally if the engine has enough beans low down then free the horses up high I say.. sure torque gets you there faster if you have traction but the top end is the fizz and if it takes too long to get there then find ways to reduce the inertia.. hopefully this engine will get to spend lots of time in the upper third of its rev range anyway.. hoooah! Cuiser or sports car - there's the question>?

..all very lovely.

It's alive.. alive!!!..

altimeter.gifsai.gif

I know this is kind of a side-issue that we've been discussing here.. but It would be interesting to see what and intake and exhaust plenum with the omega like loop design on both sides would do. I would think that if you were to make one have a loop diameter on the exhaust that would be resonant with the intake loop diameter (circumference would be more correct I guess) you could create quite a power monster. I realize the two circumferences would have to be different due to exhaust gas pressure/intake vacuum resonance qualities, but it sure would be interesting to try an experiment with that.

Modifying esprit's.. now that's fun..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

Hi guys.

First of all thanks for all the nice comments and recommendations, and feel free to discuss any side issues and ideas on the conversion as all input is welcome. :welcome:

Cheers Hilly for the heads up on the injectors,I did see it on your earlier post,but as I had all the top end of the engine assembled and sealed I was trying to avoid stripping it all down again.In the end we just took an educated guess at the flow rate and adjusted the required fuel in the megasquirt software until we had a good steady idle and so far the tuning seems to be going ok. The injectors did get a good blow over with carb cleaner before fitting and seem to be ok at present.

Those throttle bodies do look the dogs,I spotted them originally on ebay as the company have been advertising them on there,but I probably wouldn

Cracking stuff there Punky, brilliant work.

So where are the videos of the thing running then ???? :welcome:

The good thing with MegaSquirt is that it is possible to guess stuff and get a car running, however as it is so confiurable you always find yours self fiddling with it ...... If you find yourself a bit stuck with anything tuning related,then MS the forum is very helpful, or drop me a PM as I have done a bit with MS.

I am a bit peeved that you got your car running before mine, especially as you spent all that time helping out with project Shhhhhh, hats off to you, a top effort.

Hilly

Edited by hilly

Punky,

The motor looks great mate :no glad to see you have it on the road now

the new wheels look fantastic, look forward to catching you at a meet and having a

mooch in the engine bay :P

looking forward to your future mods regards danny :yes

A

very nice job you have done,

Can I ask does your Esprit have the new light cluster fitted on the rear? As I looked at one in a very similar colour to yours about a year ago.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Thanks again guys and hurry up and get yours finished so we can have a sound off at one of the lotus meets later in the year :lol:

Hi chris, No mine has got the standard toyota lights.I think I know the car you mean though, wasn't it for sale on ebay awhile back, same colour, same wheels,2002 rear lights and twin vent rear hatch.

yep thats right the last owner didn't have it long

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Thanks again guys and hurry up and get yours finished so we can have a sound off at one of the lotus meets later in the year :lol:

I am working on it.........................

Hilly

• 2 weeks later...

Punky and I went out in the car last weekend when he was down this way.

Not only is the engineering very comendable but the car goes and sounds great !!

I dunno if the VVT was kicking in or not but the torque was impressive, but the sound.....once that has a tuned exhaust on it it'll be one of the best sounding Esprits around without a doubt.

Top bombing :thumbsup:

Cheers Jonathan glad you liked it :lol:

and thanks for the good deal on the rear spoiler.It should look great when I get it all sprayed up :whistle:

SESPOILER007.jpg

SESPOILER032.jpg

SESPOILER024.jpg

Sorry Hilly for the delay with the vid, seem to be having a problem getting, a mate,a camera,the time and the weather together in the right place at the right time.Was going to try this afternoon, my neighbor was available with a decent camera phone,Then the heavens opened and now I

and thanks for the good deal on the rear spoiler.It should look great when I get it all sprayed up :whistle:

Blimey you didn't hang about with that one !

Actually don't worry about money for it - consider it a car warming gift - I feel a bit rough taking paper from a guy who spent 5 weeks restoring another guys car, it probably would still be in the loft 10 years from now anyways, nice to see it on such a good car !