Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Headlining Adhesive - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Headlining Adhesive

Need some advice. There must be an easier way of removing the old adhesive from the ceiling of my car! Any one got any ideas. I'm bored of just picking at it.

Ta

Mark

Look what Q's brought us. Isn't it nice!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Mark, LotusFab (Fabian) used some solvent based wonder fluid that cleaned the old adhesive from the sun visor/clock  mounting board he picked up from me recently. It looked brand new after he'd cleaned it. Ping him a PM I'm sure he'll tell you what he used.

Normally Aspirated - and lovin' it!

Hey Mark,

did you find the info on a decent adhesive removing solvent? I'm just prepping up for a headlining/cantrail/visor pod retrim. All trim etc removed. Next job, remove powdery headlining!

cheers

Dean

I used a paint scraper, actually came off really easily. Makes a big mess so seats out and cover interior would be my advice.

C43

9 hours ago, C43 said:

Makes a big mess so seats out and cover interior would be my advice.

Definately my plan! Seats out, bulkhead trim off, steering wheel off, A pillar trims off, lots of masking, dash and carpets fully covered! Ill post pics for reference when I'm done.

I am friends with a local trim company and they gave me some good advice.

I scraped the roof of all old glue and old head lining, was not as bad as thought. Then stuck 6mm foam on the roof first to give a smooth finish. This was done by applying contact adhesive to roof and foam, leaving to go tacky then applying the foam. Next was to apply the head lining. I did not apply any contact adhesive to the head lining, only the foam already on there. However I applied the head lining whilst the contact adhesive was still wet. We then used a paint roller to smooth it all out which helped a lot. Initially it hands down a bit but as the contact adhesive goes off the bond is better and better. Sounds tricky and easier to do with a  helper. I have some 6mm foam spare if you are interested. BTW we will be at Brooklands if you want to see the finished job. Get contact adhesive that is heat resistant seems to be the big issue as the roof does get hot on a sunny day.

I also re trimmed all the little panels, these are pretty easy to do and for those I applied contact adhesive to both surfaces.

cheers

C43

BTW we are also in a JPS S2!!

Hey Christian,

that's great info. Much appretiated. I like the idea of the extra foam. I'll PM you my details for your spare. I'm going to employ a trimmer to do the header trim with the stiching around the clock etc, also the sun visors, and the main roof liner panel stitching. This needs to be straight and parallel!

I see the main challenge in getting the roof liner on centrally and the mid stich running true with CL of roof as it runs back. Once thats in place, roll out to cant rails both sides....that's the plan in my head!

I placed my order for material with SJ today, all being well with weekend weather permitting and material delivery, I'd like to have mine done by Brooklands too. 

It'll be great to see your JPS Christian. Roll on summer!

cheers

dean

I wish someone (SJ?) would sell the material pre-cut with the stitched lines already done. I need to do mine but probably never will as I have a piece of unstitched material which I dont have any way of getting stitched reliably straight.

Important advice above to use heat-resistant glue. I used spray adhesive on another car and when parked in the sun it fell off!

Don't need to remove the glass. The finishing pieces of trim do need to come off around the sides of the roof but all are easy (too easy!) to get off. Seats out makes it all easier but they are only 4 bolts each so not a big job.

I did not do the stitching. The roof lining was so bad I just wanted if gone! As a note once I changed it the stale smell from inside the car went as well which was a positive for sure.

C43