Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Custom Exhaust Advice - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Custom Exhaust Advice

Gentlemen,

I would like any advice you may have available for the 're-customisation' of my exhaust into a twin-twin 4 pipe exit (2 each side left and right) bespoke system. Makers/builders primarily and sizes/configuraion/prices for my SE running 'a few power mods'? Karl?

I have already previously had the twin exit system hand built and want to improve on this system for a number of reasons that i'd rather not go into on the forum. But mainly because of the failure of this system AGAIN but also for more freedom of flow for the power and flames exiting my rear end!

I do have a proviso in that i would ideally like the work done on or around the middle of the week beginning the 12th of Feb say Thursday 15th and close to or in close proximity to Ipswich or Strattons (Lotus main dealer on the road to Norwich from Ipswich). Kimbers?

A tall order i reckon but i don't really have the time to go anywhere else as this is my half term and the only time i have free and i am having work done at Strattons (Suspension :D ) and my family live in Ipswich where i will be over the week!

If the location isn't do-able, anywhere nearer to me in Surrey/Middlesex would also be an option?

Many thanks in advance.

Rog B)

2009 World Singstar Champion

No I don't like the Europa, Evora or Exos.

"Like a cockmonkey with 3 cocks."

SLEG_Rog.jpg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nooo keep the twin.

You can introduce too much void in the exhaust by going OTT and creating extra back pressure post turbo as the gas pulses struggle to exit in a uniform manner. This can cause post detonation in the system as well creating large pulses of additional back pressure as they explode.

I had a little diagram floating around somewhere but bigger is pretty much not always better.

You'll get better freeflow by wrapping the exhaust to keep the gas hot, plus quads just look wrong on the Esprit. Be careful, the next stage is cabage shooters !! :D

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

Nooo keep the twin.

You can introduce too much void in the exhaust by going OTT and creating extra back pressure post turbo as the gas pulses struggle to exit in a uniform manner. This can cause post detonation in the system as well creating large pulses of additional back pressure as they explode.

I had a little diagram floating around somewhere but bigger is pretty much not always better.

You'll get better freeflow by wrapping the exhaust to keep the gas hot, plus quads just look wrong on the Esprit. Be careful, the next stage is cabage shooters !! :D

Jonathan

Your "little diagram" was attached to my thread about "Sport Exhaust--Looking for Advice". Very interesting.

brucet

I haven't done it yet, a few people on here have though.

I'm planning on wrapping from the Turbo backwards to the exhaust system when my cat needs replacing.

Added heat in the cat 'shouldnt' hurt it.

Manifold was an idea as well but not totally sure yet.

Quad pipes are the way forward for me! Wrapping won't solve the problem i currently have!

But cheers for your comments.

Rog

SLEG_Rog.jpg

Hi All,

IMHO quad or twin exhaust do actually look wrong on 4-cylinder Esprits. I personally like a good free flowing single pipe exhaust best. IMHO a steady stream single pipe exhaust system is the best way to go power wise and also for the looks.

Cheers

Marcus

www.PUKesprit.de

Marcus

Yup that looks pretty neat, becuase the pipes are not WAY over sized, it's been done with taste.

If you want that I would use the twin you have and put a Y split at the ends to create your 4.

Try Jetex, they do a fair few DIY bits and tend to be a good suplier.

Yup that looks pretty neat, becuase the pipes are not WAY over sized, it's been done with taste.

If you want that I would use the twin you have and put a Y split at the ends to create your 4.

Try Jetex, they do a fair few DIY bits and tend to be a good suplier.

I would always do things with taste! Hence the tailpiece add-on is a no no too! Whole new bespoke system is afoot methinks 2x 2.75 or 2x3 each side spitting fire! :o

RE: exhaust diagam mentioned above and in other thread - Had it on good information that on a turbo car - bigger is better. Your pic may be true of N/A's but not a blown engine!

Just what i heard.

Thanks for the feedback anyways.

Rog

SLEG_Rog.jpg

The only difference is the turbine is producing back pressure straight off the manifold.

Thats fine but remember the system afterwards also has the ability to produce extra back pressure on that.

That's also why the race cars came off the turbo and straight out the back.

Becuase the volume of the system is much larger than what's being filled by a 2.2 litre's exhaust put out you can get detonation within the pipes, as you can appreciate the expolosion goes out each way and can cause added back pressure. It might not affect your top end but might affect the lower end (1000-3000 rpm).

In my mind it matters not, the process is the same - gas pulses moving out of the pipe.

My twin does this atm, you cover one pipe up and it idles lovely, you uncover it and it becomes somewhat lumpy it also causes a slight stutter on initial pickup. It adds about 13hp (dynod) but the livability has gone down somewhat....having said that it sounds wonderful when it's all warmed up and is much more responsive, when hot. (something that supports that theorey)

Then again I've never been one for 'rules' either.

pm rodger (might not be much help)

i say if it looks pretty then do it!!!!!!

OUR CURRENT COLLECITON :- MODIFIED LOTUS ESPRIT, FULL VEILSIDE SUPRA (BEAST 409.3bhp), NEW ADDITON TO THE TROOP, 1996 S CLASS MERC (FULLY PIMPED OUT, DUB EDITION)

This is sexy IMHO!

lotus1.JPG

Rog B)

Whose car is that? I love the smoked tail lights. I've been thinking about doing that to mine and wonder if it is painted clear with a hint of black or a 'smoked' film....has anyone else on here done this with successful results?

Edited by Paul93Lotus

Whose car is that? I love the smoked tail lights. I've been thinking about doing that to mine and wonder if it is painted clear with a hint of black or a 'smoked' film....has anyone else on here done this with successful results?

That car is for sale ex Switzerland. The add is on the ramspott&brandt web page in the sales pages... :D

Olaf S400 project www.esprits4.de

shapeimage_1.jpg

I made a 4 pipes exhaust. Do you like it?

Nick from Italy

PERFECTION IS NOT A GOAL, BUT A SYSTEMIC ANOMALY !

ESPRIT S4 2.0 L - MY 1994 : 2003 rear lights with LEDs, TAROX front brakes, 330 mm / 10 pistons, CDA air Filter, RAM AIR CONERSION, CLUTCH red hose upgrade, Eprom #10 from PUK-Germany, TAROX brake discs, adjustable dampers, POP OFF, High Performance Primary and Secondary Injectpors, Electirc Water pump, hand made 4 pipes exhaust stainless steel, oil catch tank with air filter, Custom interiors made by CUSTOMINTERIORS Parma in double colour, 3 additional coloured gauges (turbo, vacuum, gas).

There is a place not to far from strattons just off the a47 at a place called mattishall. The company is called power and performance and they make custom stainless exhausts. They did my esprit and i am very happy with it. The number is 01603 880060. The address is unit 3, quarry works, honingham, norfolk NR9 5AP. They have a website.

http://www.powerandperformance.co.uk and an email address of sales@powerandperformance.co.uk.

Hope this is of some use mate???? cheers chris

Chris,

Thank you very much for that information - i shall try them when i get up to my folks tomorrow! You're a star. Could you PM me a few details of price etc?? What they did? I take it yours is the white stevens twin left hand exit????

Rog

Nick - that is a lovely piece of work on that very lovely Esprit.

Rog B)

Edited by SE Owner :-D

SLEG_Rog.jpg

Rog,

did you check Larini System? (www.larinisystems.com) located in the south of England, don't know exacly where.

An exhaust pipe like the one in the picture cost 414

PERFECTION IS NOT A GOAL, BUT A SYSTEMIC ANOMALY !

ESPRIT S4 2.0 L - MY 1994 : 2003 rear lights with LEDs, TAROX front brakes, 330 mm / 10 pistons, CDA air Filter, RAM AIR CONERSION, CLUTCH red hose upgrade, Eprom #10 from PUK-Germany, TAROX brake discs, adjustable dampers, POP OFF, High Performance Primary and Secondary Injectpors, Electirc Water pump, hand made 4 pipes exhaust stainless steel, oil catch tank with air filter, Custom interiors made by CUSTOMINTERIORS Parma in double colour, 3 additional coloured gauges (turbo, vacuum, gas).

Thanks Nick,

But i have a bespoke system as good as, if not better than the Larini system with my current twin exit system, wanted to go to twin twin. I am gonna check these guys chris mentions as they are close to where i want the work to take place - if the qulity is right!

My contingency plan is to go back to the builder of my curent system!

Thanks again,

Rog

SLEG_Rog.jpg

Hi to all,

I personally like a good free flowing single pipe exhaust. A steady single pipe exhaust system is the best way to go power up, it's light (weight/power ratio) and also looks great.

Bye Borut

LOTUS Esprit Turbo SE, 1990

P.U.K. racing turbo charger

ECU chip 1.1 bar

Motorsport racing fuel pump

RC racing High Flow secondary injectors

RC racing High Flow primary injectors

custom made titanium free flow exhaust

Electric CC pump

Double size Chargecooler, heavy duty version

Racing air filter

BOV

Crankcase Breather filter

Ram air converison

Uprated Valeo clutch with 25% more torque

KW85 HT leads, IW22 spark plugs

S4S wheels, front mask, rear spoiler

My exhaust was blowing at the flange and decided to get a new onef made. I went to Powerflow/Top Gear in St Albans and was quite amazed at the guy who made it from scratch, cutting the pipes and bending same, I opted for the the straight through single pipe exit but also decided to have a piece of flexi pipe put in as well basically to allow for any engine movement. The exhaust note now is quite something and sounds awesome compared to what it sounded like before and more respectable. Total cost for the exhaust was

Im waiting to pick up my car from http://www.aas-exhausts.co.uk/, quad exit, de-cat sports exhaust, very highly respected in the North East, Powerflow have an awfull reputation up here for some reason.. 500 quid fitted, will get some pics on maybe Thursday :beer:

Im Brian and so is my wife