Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
The Evora 400 Diaries - Page 22 - Evora Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

The Evora 400 Diaries

JayEmm

Was that Hethel's diagnosis of " over-use of copper slip on the wheel hub "  ?  Sounds a lot more serious than a creaking seat, but so loud it shouldn't be too tricky to find. Was it like that when Hethel looked at it?

If you want to drive slowly round a Sudbury car park while I listen outside or lean out the passenger door give me a shout.

CV joints are on drive shafts so would be coming from the rear, not the front.  Most CV problems are FWD related because of stress of transmitting drive when on lock.  Hubs have ABS reluctor rings round them (a band with either square holes or square teeth for magnetic pickup to sense rotation) and if they break can produce clicking but usually ABS fail light comes up. 

• Like 1

Phil           Leave me alone I know what to do - I think. 

• Gold FFM

Yes that was Hethel who told me it was excessive copper slip causing the noise. I questioned the diagnosis and asked how that could possibly cause this kind of racket, but so far I haven't had any one get back to me with a proper explanation.

I've no warning lights come up but you're not the first person to mention something ABS-related as a possibility.

What I cannot understand is the fact I gave the car to Hethel and told them precisely how to make the car do this, and yet they still return it to me making this kind of noise. If they don't fix it soon I may just drive it around Brands Hatch making that racket, should be a great way to show off the new model - guess the broken part!

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

• Gold FFM

Unless my ears are deceiving me it's the fronts making a noise, and Lotus have already had my wheels off to clean the hubs.

James Martin (JayEmm)

• Gold FFM

For all of the noises my car makes and shouldn't, there is at least one noise I couldnt live without - that amazing, multi-layered scream out the back.

Anyone else feel like this going from a 30 into NSL with the exhaust open?

35966559ab2b3c05d9d6efd2137f2215.jpg

• Like 1

James Martin (JayEmm)

• Gold FFM

The car is back at Hethel presently. Apparently the hideous noise it was making was due to the same issue as previous, but the build-up responsible was in fact between the brake and wheel hub. Still frustrating they couldn't test it properly before giving it back to me. They are going to test thoroughly this time before giving back to me.

Big list of issues for them to work on, including more silly stuff like the driver's window not dropping the correct amount, and leaving a gap in the window at the top. Fingers crossed when the car is returned it will be improved in many ways

James Martin (JayEmm)

On 22/06/2016 at 19:16, JayEmm said:

Oh, and your chassis number will indicate car number - but the code is different for manual or auto. It's "1" for manual, "2" for auto. So mine is 10116 - meaning Manual car #116.

21012 here, so auto #1012 :)

2016 Evora 400 | Signature Silver on Red Alcantara

• Gold FFM

So.... I was due to collect the 400 tomorrow. Just had a phone call from Customer Services to inform me that during their work on the HVAC unit, something got broken and they need to effectively start again.... so I won't be getting my car back until next week.

Assuming I pick it up Monday, that will bring me up to a grand total of twenty days without my car during my ownership.

James Martin (JayEmm)

• Gold FFM

Oh no, what a travesty. I mean, I literally can't think of anything worse. How are you going to cope?

You bought a car from a low volume manufacturer. It has a couple of teething issues and they are doing (and will continue, probably for longer than the warranty period) to try to sort it out.

I'd respectfully suggest you stop moaning about it and be a little less righteous. 

Edited by JG220

Funnily enough my missus has had 5 new minis over the years and not one recall.  Suppose some can be unlucky. 

I think everyone can accept a certain amount of warranty work, but when it could have been avoided (seats creaking after 1k miles ..... Should have been picked up on test cars) , or not fixed in a timely manner once and for all, that's when owners start to lose faith in the brand. 

BTW have you bought another mini since ?

Edited by DJW

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

Personally, I think Jayemm has reported on his issues in a fair and reasonable manner and as a possible future 400 buyer, i've been watching with interest.

@JG220is right that perhaps our expectations should be different for a handbuilt sports car that they would be for a Ford Focus. However, as fans of the marque, we do no favours by simply writing off issues as somehow beingexpected, as at this price level Lotus do still need to up their game in order to win over new buyers and to rid themselves of the reputation that some in the industry still bring up regularly (even if, often, it's not deserved).

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, DJW said:

BTW have you bought another mini since ?

That experience put me off, and I doubt I'll be able to sell again at a profit as I did with that one! They were very hard to get hold of in the first few years of production.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

A $100,000 car needs to be sorted out, hand-built or not.  This is especially true in other markets with limited dealership networks.  For example, I'm not driving 3 hours each way to the closest Lotus dealership on multiple warranty claims.  And no, I don't live in the woods, but a major metropolitan area! 

• Like 1

Out of interest, I had a new Mercedes C Class (work mile muncher) that broke down within 30 minutes of leaving the dealer, then twice more in the first week.. It then needed a new head gasket after just 35,000 miles and many other relatively minor, but exasperating issues fixing in the three years before I lobbed it back at them.

It does happen, it's the nature of cars. At a similar price point, my neighbours brand new F-Type chucked a check engine light on his 3 mile drive home from the dealership. It went back with less than 15 miles on the clock! 

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

9 minutes ago, Bibs said:

That experience put me off, and I doubt I'll be able to sell again at a profit as I did with that one! They were very hard to get hold of in the first few years of production.

Those first 5 words sum up what majority of people think when they experience problems with cars, or hear of others having those problems.  Lotus are in a highly competitive market place and can't afford the poor PR.

Know what you mean about first minis though, as managed to get a cancelled Cooper S in first week of launch and sold on for profit 3 months later.  Ahhhh the good old days lol. 

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

You can do all the QC testing you like but you'll never be able to iron out every single issue. Plus, there's only been what, 200 or so cars maximum in public hands for these matters to arise and this is a new model.

I'm not suggesting it's not annoying. I just think people need to be more realistic with a brand new model. And also remember, the issues now arising are brand new to Lotus, as well as us. There will inevitably be some trial and error in developing some fixes, and also time necessary to work out what needs doing in the first place.

My Dad's advice has always been never buy a brand new model; always wait for it to be out a couple of years for all the issues to be fixed. And his background is Ford and various vans.

Also, can we just ditch all the comments about "Lotus needs to get its act together if it wants to compete" and related BS. It's almost as if us Lotus fans are judging the brand more critically than we would any other brand, mass produced or otherwise.

And before anyone adds that "Lotus hasn't got the best reputation and therefore needs to do it better than everyone else" - that's just unrealistic. Only time will remove people's memories of times gone by and even time won't help when people continue with unreasonable expectations and snap judgements.

Right, rant over. None of the points made above are directed at anyone in particular; these issues are just ones I fell very strongly about.

• Like 1

Maybe people's varying expectations is the issue. A new model is a new model, be it a fiesta, Evora or supercar. All will have issues of some nature or another. Either way it's good to see how lotus react to such circumstances which is always very good. 

• Like 2

@Gm77 Appreciate your views but at the same time if current Lotus owners have a view that could help Lotus in the long run, they should listen.  A companies best PR machine is its current customer base .   If a portion of them are unhappy or have views on how things should improve, they should be listened too.

It's  a cut throat world out there and the weakest will fail.  For those of us that love the brand, but are frustrated by its short comings on occasions, do we sit back and say "that's just the way it is" and watch the brand slip into oblivion in the future, or do we voice our opinion and hope that Lotus takes notice. 

I feel for the dealers that bend over backwards to help out, but quite often have their hands tied by HQ.

None of this pointed at anyone specifically either :)

Edited by DJW
  • Like 2