Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Dodgy adjustable suspension - advice needed! - Page 2 - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Dodgy adjustable suspension - advice needed!

Well I did go for a few drives with the wrong suspension setup when I believed the springs were settling and it was a massive difference - to be honest, I think the biggest change is probably from changing the rubber cups at the top of the springs and dampers - these had turned to rock whereas my springs were just fine (if rusty) and the dampers had plenty of juice left in them. The impact it had on comfort was insane, so I'm hoping the final setup will be this way too. 

Previously, me SE would feel more like an elise, really rough over all surfaces - you could tell the quality of tarmac via your ass, not just through the wheel. 

That's not really how I roll. I want comfort. But I also want a tight ride. So hopefully by next year when EVERYTHING is done it's gonna be tip-top!

But I would advise a lot of people to just change the rubber inserts as it quick and cheap - and it's probably going to make a difference to the general feel of the vehicle. 

• Like 1

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

• 4 weeks later...

I put the original springs back on the car after having them shot blasted and painted - unfortunately I didnt switch sides so the drivers side still leans a bit :P

Just got new matching rear springs from Gaz. This time they actually check out - both are 13 mm thick, 80 mm inner diameter, 300 mm long and with 8 active coils - so we're talking 250 lb springs, S4s spec. I'm a bit scared to mount them on the SE because this is a fair bit stiffer. Don't wanna destroy my chassis. Gotta call Lotus and see what they say about it. 

Otherwise, with the rear dampers dialled in the SE feels remarkably like the Exige Sport 350 I drove in terms of ride, athough of course not torsional rigidity.... 

• Like 1

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

Great news Vanya, glad to see it is all going back together well and your happy with the new set up :thumbup:  Will be intresting to see what Lotus says on the matter regarding the rear spring set up :yes:

A