Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Corsa alternatives - Page 6 - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Corsa alternatives

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
7 hours ago, NANO said:

Ryan ... Autoplus Sportzentrium (Mister C. G.) ?

Yes that's his son's. He's getting closer to beating the track record of where we were with the V6 cup. He already did better than the 2nd best time which was from a GT3RS driven by a pro. The only guy to do better than him is another International Pro with a full blown Ferrari 458 challenge car. He's about 2 secs away and judging from his in car laps he still has a lot of areas where he can improve. 

IMG_20160416_103900977.jpg

On 16/03/2017 at 14:43, French Frie said:

Gary, would you please measure the tread depth on your PS4 ? I received my Cup2s few days ago, and I was surprised by how the grooves are not deep :ph34r:!  I measured it and depth is only 6mm (F&R)... i understand that they are semi slicks, but it meant less treads to me, not less deeper treads ...

Tread depth of PS4 were 11mm

• Like 1

Hi Gary,

it was very nice sharing the garage with you at Spa! I hope you and your mate got home without too much hassle.

My Corsas had suffered from quite e few heat cycles and had only 5 mm thread left before Saturday and I found them much less confident inspiring and less grippy compared to new so I need new tires for the road and wet tracks soon.

I understand you have experienced new Corsas and new Michelin PS4 on wet tracks. How did the Michelins perform at Saturday compared to new Corsas?

Cheers,

Ulli

Ulli - Good to meet you too. I have never had Corsa tyres, so I cannot compare. I have a set of forged wheesl which I run Tofeos on for dry days. The PS4 were fine in the wet, cleared the water well, but obviously as the speeds were low I was not pushing the stiffness of the sidewall. On the road they were fine too.

I did have a bit of a steering wobble on the motorway that I need to investigate as a rebalance did not cure it.

We managed to squeeze into the Lotus home, was not too much hassle, had a few beers Saturday night and watched some of the Rally in Spa.

Hi Gary and thanks for the info! Stiffness of sidewalls isn’t my primary concern as I have a second set of wheels with trofeos for dry track days too. The PS4 seems to be a very good tire for road and wet tracks then. I think I will go for a set. Would be good to know what the cause for the steering wobble is though.

Wobble fixed by a rebalance. One wheel was way out, must have been done badly as it did not look like a weight had come off. 

Front of car riding much higher on these tyres than on 205 trofeo. It is very noticeable to the eye.

going to change dry to zzr and get ride height and geo reset

Jut read the whole thread as I need some new rubber to replace my Corsas.

Thinking super sport, or cup2 but sounds like super sport have been replaced with a tyre that doesn't fit?

what did you guys go for in the end?

Edited by TonyKL

Hi Tony (yes the vx finally went and I too am an Exige owner now)

I am in the same position as you as about to buy new tyres for use this summer, I'm now down to Avon ZZR or Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 (now fitted on the 380) as a choice.

I would prefer the new Michelin PS4S but still no sizes for us.

Little info on the Michelins and I was always happy enough on R888's in the rain  so the ZZR's are holding 1st place at the moment, so watching for more info.

Martin S

Hey Martin, congrats!  How are you finding the Exige?

Back on topic, I had ZZRs on my S2 and I liked them but they are hard, I am worried they will be too hard for me, don't want a harsh ride.  Cup 2s are very tempting but worried about wear rates.

2 hours ago, swanny71 said:

The Pilot Sport 4's I've just fitted in standard sizes are fantastic on the road. Unless you track the car regularly, I can't imagine you'd ever need a more extreme (road compromised) tyre.

I was hoping to fit Pilot Sport 4S but they don't go small enough

21 minutes ago, TonyKL said:

I was hoping to fit Pilot Sport 4S but they don't go small enough

I know, but my point was that I really don't think you'd be missing out on very much if you fit PS4 instead of PS4S.

1 minute ago, swanny71 said:

I know, but my point was that I really don't think you'd be missing out on very much if you fit PS4 instead of PS4S.

True but I understand they are made in a very different way.

Did you run Corsa's previously, if so how do the PS4 compare?  (noise, conform, grip, etc)

• Gold FFM

Pit stop of trofeos

Im not quite as quick as the f1 guys...

8B14780D-E2A4-4D64-A381-27B174785939_zps

the trofeo looks a lot more aggressive on the car as it has squared sidewalls.

Edited by JG220
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, TonyKL said:

True but I understand they are made in a very different way.

Did you run Corsa's previously, if so how do the PS4 compare?  (noise, conform, grip, etc)

Came straight off a decent set of Corsa's onto the PS4.

Less noise, more comfort, better 'feel' through the wheel and a percieved improvement in grip. I say percieved improvement in grip because it's been so long since I've been out in the car when the roads weren't soaking wet or covered in winter shit/grit/leaves etc.

Note: Corsa's were on standard V6 wheels, the Michelins went onto a new (to me) set of forged wheels so some of the improvements (feel and comfort maybe?) were due to the lighter wheels. 

Either way, the car feels even nicer to drive now than it did when I bought it back in July. I also fitted PS4's to my daily driver (BMW 130i) last year and felt similar improvements.

6 hours ago, TonyKL said:

Cup 2s are very tempting but worried about wear rates.

Wear rate on Cup 2s should be ok, at least better than other semi-slicks, but as I said elsewhere on this forum, the treads are not deep (6mm new)... I would be able to tell you more about them once mine will be fitted !

rain abilities should be ok as well, as there are 3 large grooves, and they are fitted as standard (and even the only ones homologated!) on few cars, as 458 Speciale and the new Bugatti Chiron...

i'll keep my Super Sports for winter, though :whistle:...

dear all. just a noob feedback : I have swapped my very very used Avon to new PS4 (not s).

My best lap time with the Michelin is the nearly the same than with the avon. So for a beginner, real changes come from the driver :lol:

3 minutes ago, geartox said:

dear all. just a noob feedback : I have swapped my very very used Avon to new PS4 (not s).

My best lap time with the Michelin is the nearly the same than with the avon. So for a beginner, real changes come from the driver :lol:

Comparing to ZZRs?

I have concerns about over-heating Michelin pilot sport 4 on track the same at the corsas.

Anyone tested Nankang NS-2R on Exige? I have tested them on my Elise and this was a very positive surprise. Will test them on Exige, too.

Regarding ZZRs: I struggle to find a really good suspension setup on Exige. I liked all other tyres I've used so far better (Corsas, Trofeo R, PS4)... Is it just me, or did anyone else find that ZZRs want a completely different setup? For start I went to much lower pressure at the back (2.1 bar) and a lot softer bump and rebound and it improved the oversteer a lot. Still the back of the car is not predictable enough to fully enjoy it. Will test on PS4 over the weekend to have something to compare to.

I have a set of Cup2 on the way and will also test Nankang NS-2R. So far I was most impressed with PS4.

Regards

Samo