Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Evora 400 positivity thread… - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Evora 400 positivity thread…

Neal H

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

I'll happily contribute to this one

+Spent last weekend at the Festival Italia at Brands Hatch. Hundreds of Italian exotics there, mostly Ferraris. Everything from Dinos to 488 GTBs and everything in between. Looking at a lot of the newer cars, I realised I actually prefer the styling of the Evora. Genuinely.

+Sounds like no other car I've been in (stock). Truly spectacular considering the engine's humble origins. Toyota know how to make a good engine.

+Ride and handling are superbly judged. I can't think of much that would be quicker A-B round here, except probably an Elise or Exige.

+Getting back in my M3 after three months without it. I've been using the Excel mostly this week. M3 felt lardy, totally disconnected from the road and generally a bit wooly in comparison to my Lotuses/Lotii/Lotus

+Never driven anything that gets so many (positive) comments from all around

+30ish MPG when not hooning

• Like 1

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

Best exhaust sound this side of a Lambo

More comfortable ride than most Exec saloons 

Auto so much better these days, similar to  F-Type 

Sublime handling and steering

Closed exhaust makes it super quiet when needed 

Other drivers are more courteous to you than if you drive a German mobile 

IT'S BRITISH 

• Like 2

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

• Gold FFM

I actually prefer the exhaust note to the Lambaudi V10. To me the V10 never quite changes pitch enough, but the Evora's V6 really changes character as you rev it. Sounds quite agricultural at low revs, then smooths out and becomes an ear shattering experience. The guys at Central tell me the GT4 sounds like an old F1 car, I can believe it.

James Martin (JayEmm)

• Gold FFM

I think it should come as a massive compliment to the 400 that I was window shopping for McLaren 12Cs and Ferrari 458s recently and I though even if I did have the money to upgrade, would I actually want to? Genuine answer is I don't know if I would.

James Martin (JayEmm)

Although I love cars and always have, I've struggled over recent years to actually get excited about anything enough to spend my money on. The 400 is the first car in an age that has properly got my juices flowing. I remember thinking after my test drive that it's like a drug that I need to have more of.

• Like 2

• Gold FFM

It certainly has the ability to draw attention from much more exotic material. Probably because people have become very familiar with Lamborghini and Ferrari's offerings, not to mention Porsche

James Martin (JayEmm)

They sound OK in tunnels (excuse wind noise) 

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

11 hours ago, JayEmm said:

I think it should come as a massive compliment to the 400 that I was window shopping for McLaren 12Cs and Ferrari 458s recently and I though even if I did have the money to upgrade, would I actually want to? Genuine answer is I don't know if I would.

Will one-up you here: I cancelled my McLaren 570GT order after test-driving both the 570 and 400 twice each :)

I still encourage people considering the 400 to test drive everything within their budget; McLaren, Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini etc. Don't take anyone's words as gospel, and just drive everything yourself and see what stands out as the best.

Edited by chylld
  • Like 2

2016 Evora 400 | Signature Silver on Red Alcantara

I do actually enjoy driving mine more than I did my V6 Exige! I think it offers probably 95% of the sheer driving enjoyment of the Exige, combined with much greater comfort and refinement. In terms of A to B road pace, there would be almost nothing in it.

To echo the comments made:

love the exhaust, steering, ride and handling, not to mention powerful and feel some brakes. Oh, and don't forget the manual gearbox - no issues with mine, enjoy using it.

My two boys love it too... The school run is about to take on a whole new dimension.

Edited by IanPops
Typo

I was just out for some lunch and an R8 convertible drove past me, which to be honest I only really noticed as I was looking directly toward it as it approached. Basically it could've been any German saloon car with the sound it was making, making it even clearer just how good the 400 sounds. I've been similarly unimpressed this week with other comparable sports cars including a Lamborghini gallardo that was distinctly dull in comparison.....

I'm sure the Audi R8 is a very good and very well accomplished car. But you hit the nail on the head Colin, to me, it is just another very good, very accomplished Oooodi. I really do not think I would get the same "buzz", or feeling of excitement, specialness, aloofness that getting in an Evora gives one. Every time I passed a new TT in the R8 I'd be asking myself why did i spend 100% on this when it looks just like that!

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

• Gold FFM
2 hours ago, C8RKH said:

I'm sure the Audi R8 is a very good and very well accomplished car. But you hit the nail on the head Colin, to me, it is just another very good, very accomplished Oooodi. I really do not think I would get the same "buzz", or feeling of excitement, specialness, aloofness that getting in an Evora gives one. Every time I passed a new TT in the R8 I'd be asking myself why did i spend 100% on this when it looks just like that!

Andy

That is precisely the sensation you get from an R8. It's the sort of car that if I had a sensible 17-year-old son who wanted a go, you'd probably let them because it's completely safe, neutral and easy to drive. I can see why city types love them. But as a "supercar" it fails miserably. Even on the interior front, they're nowhere near as special as their premium commands, and the comparison with a TT is right:

Here's a 30-something thousand Audi TT

audi-tt-interior-audi-tt-roadster-interi

Here's the £110,000 Audi R8 V10 interior...

audi-r8-v10-spyder-1.jpg?itok=2baDPFpp

...and the engines in the R8 both appear in numerous hot Audis (granted in different forms). The R8 is nice, but it's not special.

I got my 400 back today and within five minutes was reminded why I love it - drives amazing, sounds amazing, then pull up at the Bird in Hand where a young lad and his Dad were very interested in it - they're Lotus fans from Australia and had come over for a tour of classic. The young one hadn't seen a 400, as @chylld appears to have stolen Australia's annual quota. So naturally had to take him out for a quick ride.

James Martin (JayEmm)

So seeing as car hadn't been used for a week, popped out in it at lunchtime to Paul Mattys to look at Elan +2's B-)

Stopped at garage for some fuel, with the inevitable drop to 1st and blip in sports mode.  2 mechanics came out and were admiring car, waiting for me to drive away to hear the exhaust again, mentioned it looked like a McLaren. Went into pay and cashier and other person asking about the car ...was it a Ferrari ? Lol.  Made a little noise on departure <whistle>

Next at Mattys some positive reactions from staff there re looks and again exhaust noise   

Popped into an Indy on way back to look at some other cars and once again owner of dealership giving positive views of car  

Needs a wash now 

We always seem to agree @JayEmm;)

To me, the nicer interior is actually the TT's above - the R8's is dated and may well be an A6 2.TDI Sline Estate for all I know.

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

The R8 shape just hasn't aged that well, IMHO.  And the interior has aged even less well.  I also prefer the interior of the TT over the R8.  Another point in favor of the TT is that its radio is a standard double DIN size and easily replaced (just like the 400's radio).    

I was away for a week, got back today....

got back into the 400, after volunteering to go and do the family shop :lol:

What a car! What a noise!

glad to be back behind the wheel, shame it's still filthy from my Zandvoort trip! Better get it cleaned tomorrow night, for Brands as we're travelling down Friday night.

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

• 2 weeks later...

I just renewed the insurance on my 400. I have two years no claims on the policy, but seven years no claims on the policy for my much loved, but old and nearly worthless Saab estate. The Lotus costs me £50 a year more.

The tax on my high performance, near supercar 400 is almost half of the cost of the aforementioned Saab, another bonus of being an early adopter.

So basically it's cheap as chips to own, and this is a car that has kids (and often adults) losing their shit when I drive past them as it looks and sounds, well, a bit mental.

• Like 2