Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
The Lotus Evora 400 Audio Upgrade - Page 3 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

The Lotus Evora 400 Audio Upgrade

James when you eventually wired in the new harness, did you find the speakers were quite quiet? Im presuming its more down to the settings for the amp but I have to turn the stereo up to around 30-35 whilst driving to hear the speakers properly, Im just wondering if I need to do something else as i can't see it being very loud?  the previous speaker set up was louder but shite.

prob just some twerking right?

• 1 month later...

I've finally got around to sorting my audio upgrade. I was pretty sceptical about how much difference if would make given how noisy the car can be, and I was nervous heading over to collect the car yesterday. Needless to say I shouldn't have been worried. The difference is huge, and to me at least it corrects one simple thing that was really letting the car down. The car now feels much more fitting of its price tag - the components that came out were crap.

I used a local installer in Macclesfield as when I stopped by for a quote he knew all about the 400. He'd just finished an install on one a few days earlier. Probably not the cheapest, but I was given confidence in the fact that he already knew about the need for harness change, location of sub and amp etc..... I also benefited from all the research and decisions that went into the other install, something that was important to me as I don't know where to start with audio stuff!

I went with Audison Voce speakers and tweeters, Audison Prima sub and Prima 8.9 amp (the Voce sub and amp are bigger than the Prima apparently and won't fit in the factory position). 

I've only done a short journey so far, but very, very pleased. 

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I'm getting ready to dive into upgrading the stereo in my Evora 400. 

Can someone tell me exactly what ISO cable they are buying?  I assume, based off the info here, that currently there is nowhere to plug RCA's in on the back of the headunit?

There is no ISO connector in the car. It’s a custom loom, car to Alpine.

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

James I am embarking on the same route as what you did to your Evora 400.

1/. With the benefit of hindsight would you have chosen different components and setup?

2/. What cabling do I need to change to set it up similar to your setup?

3/  Any  pic on how you eventually installed the tweeters?

4/  where is the cross over located and installed?

Thanks 

Great thread! If I manage to acquire an Evora 400, I will definitely be revisiting!

I have to wonder why Lotus don’t offer something similar from the factory. It sounds like it would be simple enough for them to do as a cost option.

Edited by Traktion

Welcome, Paul.

The more that you find out about the department at Lotus that deals with audio matters, the less that you will be surprised. Evoras (of all ages and flavours) have generally always had issues with factory installed sound systems - from subwoofers being wired to the wrong channel to DAB aerials not even being included on 'top end' DAB systems. The idea that the factory could offer an improved sound option is frankly laughable, unfortunately.

There is nothing wrong with the Alpine W990BT head unit in the 400's. It's a mid-top end double din unit that actually has an impressive specification sheet and some still quite up to date features given it was launched in lat 2014, early 2015.  It's navigation features and online, real time TMC features are right up there.

I believe the main issues are around the quality of the install and the speakers, in that essentially is is the most basic of installs with cheap speakers and wiring and very little sound deadening etc. So when you ramp up the volume it just sounds like a metal tin of quality street is being shaken about to a rhythm.

Upgrade the speakers and wiring, add some sound deadening material, and voila, 100% improvement. It can also be upgraded to take DAB too, although you still need to buy a DAB aerial for that to work.

i agree that maybe Lotus should spend more time on getting the installs correct. But then what would you rather have, a great sounding stereo of the best handling sports car on the planet. My preference is the latter so carry on Lotus, you're focussing on the right things for me.

• Like 1

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

I’ve mentioned it on another thread but I’ll mention it again for future E400-30 owners. If your vehicle is equipped with subwoofer option, a little tweaking with the settings will be sufficient. It’s not the best but even for an audiophile like myself, it’s not bad.

First problem with the Evora is the way the tweeters are arranged and directed to the window, there’s seems to be sharp resonance and seems harsh without some adjustments. Secondly, because of the way factory crossovers are either a cheap piece of junk or default settings which doesn’t allow the deeper decibels to separate over to the woofer, you get a mixed range of MHz coming from all speakers, which distorts with anything over 1/5th max volume.

Lastly, because of the smaller cabin with not too much soundproofing, there’s a noticeable amount of reverberation. 

Easy remedy is going into setting and putting the fade 70-80%rear and adjusting the treble, increasing the bass with moderate mid-range. You can also download an Alpine app that may help fine-tune the settings. 

The subwoofer didn’t even work until my fade was at 60%, which confirmed my suspicion of crossover mating and settings.

Lastly, there’s a sticky that gives a step-by-step instructions on proper setup. I’ve done both and I wasn’t a particular fan of the step by step adjustments that’s on the sticky. If you look at the pattern of the sequential adjustments, it’s heavy on the mid-tone range. Not bad if you listen to Yani all day. But if you use the quick adjustments that are preloaded on the Alpine, you can adjust the presets depending on your music taste. 

Again, not bad but I’d say it’s on par with most factory vehicles without premium sound upgrades. I’ve considered putting better speakers, but as I weighed the options (literally) I couldn’t justify adding 20lbs extra when the stereo is on mute most of the time.

-Jim

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

The Sub doesnt work with factory settings because they strangle it. The person who came up with the settings has a lack of basic understanding of sound and what frequencies speakers can reproduce.

I published elsewhere my own settings for the Lotus default setup (with sub).

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

• 3 months later...

My '17 Evora 400 (Federal) did not come with the subwoofer option, and as we all know, the stock audio is laughably poor.

I'm a bit confused as to what parts I will need to add a sealed subwoofer in the factory location, as previous posts have indicated that I need to buy a bracket, and others have said I need the subwoofer shell (which apparently comes with the crappy stock subwoofer, which i obviously don't need). 

In the parts diagram here (https://www.lotusgarage.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=626), do I need #30 (mounting bracket, subwoofer for $10)? Do i need #2 (sub-woofer speaker for $293, which looks like it includes an enclosure for the subwoofer)? Do I need both? Any other parts I would need?

I would like my subwoofer to be sealed, much like the S1 audio upgrade detailed in this thread/video (

I know next to nothing about car audio, so appreciate you Evora audiophiles out there in pointing me in the right direction!

Edited by ncitrdude

Same position as you.  Lotus Silverstone looked into and and I would have had to buy the subwoofer with the bracket and then thrown it away.  It didn't seem cost effective so we went for replacing the existing speakers and using sound deadening.  Pleased with the results!  The idea that they came up for a future next stage was to position a thin subwoofer under the passenger seat - maybe one day

18 hours ago, Peegee355 said:

It didn't seem cost effective so we went for replacing the existing speakers and using sound deadening.  Pleased with the results!  

Did you replace the tweeters or just door speakers? What speakers did you use?

cheers

Blessed with the competence to be a slave to the incapable.

Currently without a Lotus, Evora 400 Hethel Edition in Racing Green with Red leather and 2010 Evora N/A in Laser Blue and 1983 Lotus Excel LC Narrow body in Ice Blue all sadly gone.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm currently deciding whether to upgrade the speakers in my 400 with components or a simply replace the ones in the door with a set of full range coaxials.  Before I go one way or t'other I'd like to know what crossovers, if any, have been used.  I can't find any details of what/where in the service notes.  Can anyone who's been through the pain let me know where I can find them?

Thanks in advance.

• 5 months later...
On 07/07/2018 at 12:06, ncitrdude said:

My '17 Evora 400 (Federal) did not come with the subwoofer option, and as we all know, the stock audio is laughably poor.

I'm a bit confused as to what parts I will need to add a sealed subwoofer in the factory location, as previous posts have indicated that I need to buy a bracket, and others have said I need the subwoofer shell (which apparently comes with the crappy stock subwoofer, which i obviously don't need). 

In the parts diagram here (https://www.lotusgarage.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=626), do I need #30 (mounting bracket, subwoofer for $10)? Do i need #2 (sub-woofer speaker for $293, which looks like it includes an enclosure for the subwoofer)? Do I need both? Any other parts I would need?

I would like my subwoofer to be sealed, much like the S1 audio upgrade detailed in this thread/video (

I know next to nothing about car audio, so appreciate you Evora audiophiles out there in pointing me in the right direction!

Did you get any answers to this question? I have a 400 and am upgrading the stereo. I don’t have the factory sub. 

Upgrading the front speakers, amp, head unit(for CarPlay) and potentially a sub. I’m getting a 3 channel sub to make adding the sub easier if I don’t do it initially. 

I would love to know the cost of parts to order for the sub mount and enclosure.  Does anyone know what part numbers (in the attached pic) are required? 

E54E00C4-5A68-4EA0-A19D-FE57BD3E0E59.png

Rjandern, i did not. When the shop who did my audio upgrade opened up my car, they found that there was a factory subwoofer/enclosure, even though it wasn't on my options list (and i could never hear it work). Either it wasn't hooked up, or it was so bad that i couldn't tell it was even there.

Long story short, they reused the enclosure and put in an aftermarket amp/sub, which sounds 1000x better.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Just underwent a fairly simple upgrade to my Sport 410 stereo, which has transformed the sound quality.

Installed an Alpine KTP-445A plug and play amp and Focal PS130F speakers with sound deadening. No sub woofer at this point.

• Like 1

cool looks a easy option that, were the spekers a nice fit, and wht did you do with the tweeters this kit comes with?

ase these the speakers

https://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-focal-ps130f_p-32013.htm

its worth updating the alpine software via usb too

Just installed a KTP-445A inline amp to power a set of Hertz Mille Pro MPK 130.3 components, speakers yet to be installed; also no SW in my car.  The KTP doesn't show great specs at < 1% distortion @ 45W RMS, however at 2.5x the power of the factory HU it seems to add clarity will at slightly higher volume levels.  The KTP is plug and play and tucked in nicely behind the Head unit using double sided tape, fyi I cut 24 inch out of each side of the supplied wiring harnesses, as it was bulky and not needed.

IMG_3048.jpg