Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation - Page 104 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation

• Gold FFM

Fabian where exactly is your garage (post code, door number) is it alarmed, lock spec, easy access for a trailer  etc. Are you and the wife going out or on holiday anytime soon. 

just concerned I might add 😜

• Haha 1

How you manage to contain your excitement throughout this rebuild process and not rush the work is impressive - loving watching your work Fabian........although even more photos as you go would make the experience even better. Those wheels look absolutely stunningB-)

• Like 1

Some things are quick and others very long. You have to switch off and ignore the time. It has just taken me over an hour to phase the intermediate shaft and I havn't even torqued the pinch bolts! Incidentally make sure when the steering column goes in you get the nuts and bolts correct. The nut is purpose made and the same as the S1/S2.IMG_3908.thumb.JPG.b06da339b08a3418551a2e0e618d783c.JPGthey are 10 mm bolts, the originals on this case!

Essential the universal joints have to be offset by 30 degrees or three splines to the left at the steering end. It's real tricky to do on your own. Two people would be a lot quicker! 

Well mines phased correctly. The universal joints are in real good condition as is the steering column and I put in a recon rack from Lotusbits. Should be real smooth! will finish putting the column back in tomorrow and then on to the loom!😀😀😀😀

• Like 2

That column UJ phasing thing is a good example of how Lotus cars are designed by proper engineers. You wont find that in a Ferrari manual.

IMG_3925.thumb.JPG.2e362b355210f6e1d3ac0712bfe4f0dc.JPGIMG_3927.thumb.JPG.99f2c5d78cb8210f279cf7adf4ce6af2.JPGThe rear loom is repaired and in! Don't worry the handbrake cables are now under the fuel tank! I have copied the original loom installation using P clips. The only variation I have used stainless screws instead of rivets. I have put some pictures as a lot if these cars have incorrect loom installation due changes over th years. Mine was totally original so ai was lucky. 

The handbrake is really good with the new mounting and components and a spring it works really nicely. I am just waiting for the fuel system bits to return and then the rear will be mostly done. Need to start on the left front loom and the heater system. Then can't rails,  shower edging and some black paint! It looks worse than it is most of the nasty stuff is now behind me. It's just depressing how many hours are needed to make seemingly no changes!

The top picture is the fuel pump inertia cut off.

• Like 2

Headlight pods

Ive done these before. Have all the bits cleaned and plated. Before plating file off the ends of the pin which may be burred after any hammering. Redrill the holes to remove dirt so the pins can be fitted easily. The bearing housings are handed so remoember where you got them from or experiment if you mix them up and loose one like me! Don't rivet them until your absolutely certain you gave them correct. Use a small washer on the back of the rivet so it doesn't pull out of the pod or body. Job done. IMG_3936.thumb.JPG.cf0789987752762ce13a33259e4778ca.JPG

Heater

Started to reassemble the heater and valve. There's a lot of parts in here and a lot of silicon! I should have taken more pictures of the system. The valve bolts to the pedal box.IMG_3937.thumb.JPG.a55881c2879687d27ef0dd8363c141f0.JPG Have cleaned and repaired the front loom. Just need to refurb the fan harness. It's all in pretty good condition. 

• Confused 1

Just two more brake lines to fire to the master cylinder. It reminded me of my Franklin brake flare tool, one of the best things I have ever bought every pipe perfect! Here's a link.

• Like 1

http://fibreglassservices.com/

Have bought a few parts from here recently. Miles has been in the Lotus business for many many years and was one of only two people allowed by Collin Chapman to manufacture parts. He has lived the Lotus story written some books and sadly recently sold his garage? He still does parts but he  doesn't advertise. He's a very nice chap and knows just about everything. He can supply just about anything you may need. I spent several hours talking Lotus on my last visit to West Sussex!

• Thanks 1

Thats interesting as I called him a few days ago looking for parts for my Elite and Esprit. He told me he had no stock of parts anymore for either model. What sort of spares did you get from him?

:) 

It's getting there......

Hi Tim, that's odd. I got a lot of stuff. I've been down there and he's  got a lot of parts. He recently sold his garage on the website and had to relocate so maybe he was unable to supply at the time. He is the elite expert and I have seen lots of elite suspension parts. All I can suggest is to try again - I think it will be worth it.

Havn't been done much recently. I thought it would be useful for any other restorers to see how the loom is secured. It's all P clips, sometimes back to back like a butterfly. Even the oiled cooler pipes are held with P clips. They are screwed and riveted depending on the locations . Spire clips are used to secure the screws if it's a flat piece of metal or fiberglass. Else they are just screwed into the fiberglass if the other end is not protruding. Here's my exact copy if the loom installation. My car has a full service history up to about 4000 miles before it went off road about 16 years ago. I has only moved one since then when I started it to check the engine rebuild and move it to my garage. 

It was maintained by Bell and Coville and other professional garages. This was quite fortunate as all of it was factory correct, even the alarm system which at first I didn't understand but later found circuit diagrams. The only part which had been modified was the ignition circuit. The car had undergone a restoration but never made it to the road. It had many new parts, mostly in the engine. I decided to start again as I find it annoying unless everything is like new. It's very expensive to restore the Turbo, much more than an S1 or S2 because it's a totally different car. There is more of everything and it's far more complex. The chassis is a total redesign over the earlier cars. In a lot of ways it's a modern car. I don't think the figures stack up for a restoration of this quality. With prices around the high 20s to early thirties I can tell you I have gone well beyond this and it's still not finished! I have done all the work, so If you think of paying the professionals to do it you will be on a loss of maybe £20k. For me it's not about the money I look forward to driving this car and bringing it to some events so you can pic it to pieces! I hope to get both if these Bond cars to the NEC when this one is complete. I think if they are next to each other it will make a great photo. So on with the resto.....

loom engine bay.

The plastic connector on the harness is for the engine loom. When you upgrade the ignition this becomes obsolete, the electric ignition requires just a positive feed. The rev limiter is your foot and the boost gauge! Don't miss the inertia switch out, if you crash you need the fuel pump turned off. IMG_3963.thumb.PNG.a66fe77eb3856d80e38a5cf7791d518c.PNG

You can see the P clips if you look carefully. 

• Like 2

The inertia switch bolted to the side wall on the left of the picture. I really like the idea of a backup piece of string to the tailgate lock, so think I will introdipuce this essential mod. Also I will add the compulsory fire extinguisher system. The annoying thing about these restos is when you think you have all the parts you don't and have to order more. My next batch is already on the way as I type this! 

Over the next week I hope to get most of the external bits back on, like the can't fails and silver trim.

leather

after weeks of searching I have been unable to match exactly  the original Conelly hide. I have got very close but for me that simply not good enough. I must have exactly the correct colour,  as I will find it an annoyance. So only one option left .I have found a company with a £30k machine that can match the Connelly pigment. I plan to buy two new hides and recolour the entire car to exactly the correct shade - once new leather has been used to cover the dashboard, seats and door cards. I will be getting all the beige cloth replaced as new with a new headlining. Then I will look forward to fitting the cockpit stereo, with its iPhone mod. Dave kindly supplied the stereo with the original harness to attach to the car! Still a lot if work ahead!

Miles at fiberglass services has supplied me a new Lotus cambelt and filter. I look forward to finishing the engine. Although rebuilt they put it back in a hurry to sell the car without paying attention to the external appearance. I will rectify that and get the unit back in. I have been supplied with a new input shaft washer and clip, essentials unless you would like a hole drilled by the input shaft in the side of the crank area! I can't find any pictures on here if the circlip and input shaft so I will post some when I get around to it. Bond Is Back - errrr or will be shortly! 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Tyres

need to sort this has anyone bought some recently? If so please can you post a link here to save hours of searching, thanks. I have heard Vredstein are good value, but am having trouble sourcing them.

• Like 1

Heater box with water valve on top.IMG_3947.thumb.PNG.d8d4708e4c3c3492a95207a8eafe0ab0.PNGyou can see the water valve mounting hole, which despite posts on here I now believes bolts to the car body and notbthe pedal box as described in another thread.

Oh I have been very luck and have managed to get the original bonnet seals from Lotus via Miles. So I have the half round for the rear, foam for the tailgate and inner tube for the front(I hate that inner tube seal).

Here's a great picture, ever wondered how the speedo cable was secured? How about a rubber P clip bolted to the chassis with the earth cable? Also notice there are two P clips here. Just have to figure out what went in the other one and also the one on the far right of the picture! Brake cable???IMG_3965.thumb.PNG.8f175a23f9b4a0a12aca932d552d65f5.PNG

I found when I got my car the rivets on the plastic P clips holding the fuel return hose to the RH tank had corroded away and the hose had fallen down and was resting on the RH radius arm and moving up and down with the suspension! 

• Like 1

All the motivation you need right here, your garage soon!

Screen Shot 2018-04-13 at 10.51.27.png

Stunning work Fabian, it will be really nice to see a Copper Bronze Turbo in actual Copper Bronze!

• Like 2