Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation - Page 131 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation

The metal part is a power transistor screwed onto something. Normally they are mounted to a heatsink to dissipate heat from switching loads or amplification. What is it mounted to and where do the wires to it end up ?

• Like 1

2N3055 transistor, the interior light delay unit.

This is controlled by 2 diodes, one from each door switch so its operated when either switch is closed.

Actually i have always found the wiring diagram is pretty accurate on these cars, there are various versions of it though. The best one for our cars is the one marked "Essex Commemorative Turbo Esprit". I can send it if you dont have it, or LMK if you need me to come over and have a look at anything.

• Like 1

Ahh thanks lads, yes sorry Andy you did tell me it was a transistor! 

1 hour ago, jonroberts said:

The metal part is a power transistor screwed onto something. Normally they are mounted to a heatsink to dissipate heat from switching loads or amplification. What is it mounted to and where do the wires to it end up ?

Hi Jon, 

its on the post. I can't see it on any wiring diagram?? Andy have you located it? IMG_4947.thumb.JPG.ac8cd7177158021414e0cd37db05516a.JPGI think I have sorted the electric mirror problem. My car appears to have two L/R switches. A redundant one under the dash and the real one on the right door card! You have to love Lotus, never a dull rebuild! 

The one under the dash is the aerial switch even though its marked L-R. They must be thinking of the aerial viewed when lying down :).

Here is the delay unit:

Wiring Diagram del.jpg

Thanks Andy, didn't have that diagram . I can finish it now! 

Here's one I had for the mirrors refvthe L/R switch. . Spookily there was a  unused green wire! IMG_4943.thumb.JPG.eb8cb4d3fb5ef672d41a037132774311.JPG

Note the diagram doesnt show the L-R aerial switch under the dash. Thats because it shows the cockpit stereo and the aerial feed is taken from the power amp so the aerial goes up when the unit is turned on.

Non cockpit stereo cars had the rocker switch under the dash, this is connected to the green wire which is shown on the diagram, instead of this wire going the power amp, and the other side of this switch goes to one of the fuse box connections.

• Like 2

IMG_4972.thumb.JPG.c325254e148bbe9090e5bce1f438799c.JPGAmplifier panel passenger footwell

I have to make this panel and wire the amp for the cockpit stereo. Here's what the amp looks like. It fits to the back of this panel. Does anyone know the carpet configuration?Any pictures?  Is there another carpet behind this panel on the bulkhead? Does the bottom carpet go under the panel or finish at It? Thanks.IMG_4971.thumb.PNG.496c489798f1ba83f0f4fedaa08a7180.PNG

This is one of the last jobs before the dash is bolted in. The vacuum pipes are sorted and the airflow pipes are clean and ready to fit. Then underdash carpets and the amplifier and the dash can be fitted followed by the binnacle. Just need to be sure of the carpet fit. Maybe an Essex owner could help with some pics? 

I will review my Bond pics and see if I have snapped that area....

• Like 1

Well, I've been working on this for a very long time now. Despite all the hours and hours it still progresses at a snails pace. I have finally got to the carpet under the dash. But so many jobs left to do. Cleaning the air pipes is one of the most tedious which I did yesterday. I still can't fit them till the front edge carpet is in! Still,it's about to start looking very James Bond inside! 

You're a race snail!

Still much faster than most restorations. 

Just keep your eye on the prize. You'll soon be driving about in a fantastic car feeling just like Bond. 

:) 

• Like 2

It's getting there......

1 hour ago, TAR said:

You're a race snail!

Still much faster than most restorations. 

Just keep your eye on the prize. You'll soon be driving about in a fantastic car feeling just like Bond. 

:) 

I feel the need for a White Turbo next with Tobacco interior - you know you want to Fabian😉

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stephenwhyte said:

I feel the need for a White Turbo next with Tobacco interior - you know you want to Fabian😉

😬😬😬😬my hands are getting sweaty and shaking! 

Another museum pic.IMG_0285.thumb.JPG.86111c646beffd657e55684c8541669e.JPG

• Haha 1

Amp fitted to back of toe board.

IMG_5007.thumb.PNG.ff7046fcef9320c6204f58295427df20.PNGThe connectors are USA type Molex four pin. I managed to get some. Nearly ready for a power test. 

I have had trouble locating the correct bulkhead speakers. Until I locate some I'll be running on under seat and the fronts. 

Does anyone know what cars had Maystar speakers? 

Don't worry,  the wheel arch carpet has to come out again for the heel pad fitting.

I'm tired! Have been doing this car everyday for two years, which is fine if you don't have a life! Still cutting carpet. It's hard to believe how much work is involed. Of course cutting the material is only the first step. Reallly tricky on a decent quality carpet. Still about five days later it's getting there. I'm getting into the nitty gritty stuf now. I have had to order a new throttle cable and choke cable. The choke cable is held in by a Lucas terminal connector! Great money saving idea, if not a little odd! Here's where I am now.....IMG_5038.thumb.JPG.546b784a5e7db9d8642a16f0c03d7b3e.JPGñ

IMG_5039.JPG

IMG_5036.thumb.JPG.cfc2a0b3ef020888481b5897b3b09fc6.JPGIMG_5037.thumb.JPG.d02e625939f010de07996ee5058ee910.JPG

The drivers wheel arch carpet has been cut but isn't fixed, it has to go off for the heel pad stitching. Likewise I have to prepare all of the leather carpet binding in Lotus Gold from fresh leather hide. 😴😴😴

5 hours ago, Lotusfab said:

Passenger side all wired in.IMG_5027.thumb.JPG.64581923526a73368a3eaa5625cacbd5.JPGIMG_5026.thumb.JPG.e88e1397f391ec43cd5b6a640a283771.JPG

Great job! I’m at the same stage with my car... where does the lose conection on the last pic go? Just hangs there on my car...

• Like 1

I believe it's a buzzer logic box connection which is connected to the door switch and not fitted? 

IMG_5042.thumb.PNG.eefb0521df36d82960ab97d7fb17fe1e.PNG

Anyone have a buzzer on their car which sounds when the door is open?

• Like 1

Some countries have to have buzzer which sounds when drivers door is open or seat belt not fitted. Not UK.

I dont have any switches on bonnet or tailgate, never seen these on early cars.

• Like 1