Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation - Page 136 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation

I am still looking for a knob for the A/C as shown in the above pictures. These knobs were radio/amplifier knobs made by Bulgin, as marked on them, and they evidently had a recess in the base to hide the nut which Lotus ground off so the back side of them is flat instead of having a nut recess. There is no nut in the Lotus setup to hide as its behind the graphic panel.

I hav found similar knobs, also made by Bulgin, and ground off the recess but they are not quite the same design.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2018 at 10:36, markt said:

Got a lead on who can supply a replacement heater panel Andy?

I drew these up years ago when I couldn't find a replacement, got one on my car, but needs doing properly to smarten things up a bit.

Lotus bits

38 minutes ago, Andyww said:

I am still looking for a knob for the A/C as shown in the above pictures. These knobs were radio/amplifier knobs made by Bulgin, as marked on them, and they evidently had a recess in the base to hide the nut which Lotus ground off so the back side of them is flat instead of having a nut recess. There is no nut in the Lotus setup to hide as its behind the graphic panel.

I hav found similar knobs, also made by Bulgin, and ground off the recess but they are not quite the same design.

How on earth did you find that out?

small knob is obsolete since 2007. Original part number (I think) is A079P6013F.

Good luck with your search.

:) 

It's getting there......

I have just been looking through my parts. The fan knob I have is the same. I have the two lower ones. So just one to find. I could cast a new one from resin if I can't find another original. Heres a sharpe picture of the Bond car heater controls. Note the led surround is chrome! IMG_5384.thumb.PNG.6fd2245a3924248727ac4da8825d2ba6.PNG

IMG_5387.thumb.PNG.428888b7146b6c183dd894c0328541b7.PNG

SJ has the smaller knobs too, albeit with a slightly different circumference pattern. The cover is identical apart from a white dot. 

594A38CB-3513-464B-BC9F-DE0F69F7A4AD.png

• Like 1

Ad initium

20 hours ago, Lotusfab said:

Simple matter to cast them if needed. Hopefully should be able to get some. How many do you need Andy?

Only one, as I fitted A/C to the car I added the control.

Well I've just bough this an original panel. I have found a company that makes replicas. Their construction is good but graphics are poor. I need to find someone who can copy this and add the correct wording.IMG_5398.thumb.PNG.134c4a8df34b7c82581c666c58e0b6ce.PNG

I still have my original panel which is in very good condition also!

I thought the Bond ET had the words 'FAN' and 'SCREEN/DEF.' instead of symbols.

How is the panel you've found any different from what is available elsewhere?

It's not! I bought it so the graphics could be copied exactly. Then the words added and fan symbols removed and the whole thing put onto a translucent panel! This is a very long process! 

As someone pointed out the Turbo Esprit wording on the remakes is nothing like the original! 

Anyone got any ideas?

Also does anyone want a worded panel?

The Bond car inside

Winguard rear view mirror with dip and RM610 panasonic cockpit stereo. 

IMG_5415.thumb.PNG.ef690fde03f68cbb49a42ff541bb90f0.PNGI've been doing a bit of research on ABS plastic vacuum forming. Some of the parts on the Esprit were made in this way. It is relatively easy to make a vacuum forming machine. I'm thinking of having a go at making the door corner pieces out of ABS as the originals are damaged and some are missing. I. May also have a go at casting the Aircon knobs out of resin if the normal suppliers can't help. Parts seem to be becoming more of  a problem recently.  Some one needs to start making classic car parts on a large scale using scanners, 3D printers, casting, vacuum forming and CNC machines. We seem to be in the dark ages in the UK compared with the states. Maybe I should give Jay Leno a call. He has his own in house scanning and printing! 

I have to rebuild the drive shafts shortly. They seem pretty straight forward. A matter of cleaning then new boots, grease and circlips. My friend put me onto this Redline CV2 grease, seems pretty good!IMG_5395.thumb.PNG.9ddacd5ecc1d32f4b878550dee56c22c.PNG

• Like 1