Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation - Page 149 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation

Well think Inwas wrong. I have measured the exhaust guides and valves. After cleaning them up and measuring they all have hardly any wear. They all have the correct clearance. It appears the play at Cold is correct!IMG_6048.thumb.JPG.e516eeee2eb7a9bbc9b681eabf36c918.JPGIMG_6049.thumb.JPG.0f6852504043a0459604ab30f713c3ec.JPGIMG_6050.thumb.JPG.3e1f345b69439cf5308269fe76b6fcd7.JPGthe whole top end of the engine is now with the aqua blasters! I think I'm still going to paint it when it returns. Any other thoughts?

It's all still going up to see Pete at PNM! 

• Like 1

Engine Experts

Is that second compression ring the wrong way round? There are no markings on any of them. The groove is a the top. My cards on the table I think it should be groove at the bottom? It would really help if some has a definitive answer?IMG_5991.thumb.JPG.f79ead61a96158cff50506ae4c6c8ef8.JPG

I have measured most of engine. Within the error margin of the readings it all appears in good shape. Despite this I believe it's worth getting someone with forty years experience having a look. 

If the second ring is inverted surely the oil will scrape to the top when it should be scrapping it to the bottom?.

Fabian, I'm no engine builder though I have successful experience in Lotus Twincam cylinder head work, specifically guide clearance and port/seat work. It's correct to mike the stem diameters for wear but have you tested the guides' ID's for wear with plug gauges? That would be a finely graded set of rods, fractionally larger and smaller than valve stem diameters to be used as " go, no-go " checks. The intakes will tolerate very tight clearances indeed, and exhausts are not a great deal further out when optimal for road use.

As to the 2nd rings, they look to be of the Napier scraper type and, if so, are to be run the other way around as you suspect. The ridge/edge functions to complete oil control beyond what the main oil ring assembly will do.

• Like 1

Thanks Steve, very useful info. I measured the internal diameter of the guides using the micrometer and expanding guage. I got the same readings for all the guides. They all measured the lowest internal diameter in the range. The valves were at the thickest diameter of the range. There's little play on the inlet valves by feel. The exhaust there is more play but theyvall feel the same. I conclude this is normal, butbitbwill be getting checked by PMN. 

Thanks for the ring info I will look up the ring type. 

There's only two things I can criticise on this car build. The fuel tanks and the radiator. I'm thinking if taking it  apart again  and replacing them. Has anyone used the aluminium S and J fuel tanks? Axminster are perfect but pricey. S and J are £260 plus vat. But I don't wish to use them if the quality is not spot on. Thanks.

It's a lot of money but this is way beyond what I thought anyway. If I were to sell it would only ever be at perfect prices, so I guess that means aluminium.

Been thinking about it. I'm probably going to replace the middle rings, even though they are new. The reason being the modern design is better so it seems foolish not to out them now.

The cylinder head etc will be stunning after the aqua blast the trouble is the finish will not endure. I think I'm leaning towards painting the aqua blasted bits. Still it will have saved a lot of work on the head and be totally carbon free! Those core plugs are a bugger. I removed all of them. Try not to knock the top ones into the head. If you do you will have great fun trying to remove them. At first I spent ages, but then I got a technique and can now remove them very quickly. In essence you need to get the plug up against a straight edge placed into the hole and then lever them out. Best not to whack them through in the first place! 

Still undecided on painting the metal bits.

Getting into the Doldrums a bit with this now after 2.75 years! But there it sits with no engine😫😫😫😫IMG_6083.thumb.JPG.d6e18f340862e9164fdef726b4dcd014.JPG

Latest problem that's tipped me over the edge the gearvlever is 7 mm and the knob 8 mm, only a Lotus can do this stuff!

Must be a manager putting it on! 

1 hour ago, Buddsy said:

I d say thats way too much sealant.

If its assembled and any is squeezed out of the joint thats exactly what has happened inside.

Which will get into water ways or oil ways. Multiple times on this forum people have had seize engines caused by hylomar or silicone blocking the oil ways.

just a heads up. 

buddsy

What's your view on painting get aquablasted engines?

8 hours ago, Buddsy said:

I had the turbo and manifold done in the zircotec

buddsy

How does your wastegate not look like something salvaged from the Titanic which they usually do ? It looks new but the same model as the original one?

Gear lever and knob fix.

The thin gear lever is 7 max 1.0 pitch thread. The thicker stick 8 mmx1. So how to change. Havn't completed it yet but will drill out and tap the original insert in the knob to 10 mm. Then insert a 10-7 mm helicoil. I tried tapping a piece on aluminium to 7 mm and screwing into an 8 mm drilled out knob. It didn't work the Ali collapsed. I think the helicoil should work if I can tap the knob out to 10 mm. Lot of hassle!

Engine

Plan to take it all to visit Pete at PNM this month ASAP if the snow disappears. Once the Maestro has inspected it I'm hoping to buy anything I need and reassemble. May have to leave the head for valve lapping. Camshaft seals and  core plugs to replace. Then onto Carburettors and gearbox. I've been studying the manuals and videos. Seems pretty simple to rebuild the carbs. Armed with my sonic bath It should be easy. If the sonic doesn't bring the bodies up it's off for aqua blasting again.

Oh and they have rebuilt my water pump, happy days! The radiator is proving a problem. The upgrade to Ali is expensive because no one has produced them in Bulk. Spoke to Coolexperts who make the Elan radiator. They tell me in about six months they may remake them. Around £300 plus vt is the guess, sadly I can't wait. Mr Bond must have the car working this summer! 

Well One of my fuel tanks is missing!

I have taken them both out and shall be using Axminster Ally tanks. The aim of a test is to put it back together, sometimes you've got to take it apart again! IMG_6101.thumb.JPG.5d450358a6c0d5081cc0b4dd7c06dccc.JPGIMG_6099.thumb.JPG.0b4e417286b5fda5a1837e5df3619f89.JPGIMG_6095.thumb.JPG.b6e41eabc9fb93cc7749d1f2649c786e.JPGIMG_6103.thumb.JPG.b53fe82c5d3f512a7b1ac23c0a09e192.JPG

Have started the carbs. Very dirty and gummed up! The sonic bath so far is pretty disappointing. It removes the dirt but at 80 degrees and 40 minutes in with the correct fluid they are only slightly cleaner looking. May have to aquablast!