Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation - Page 21 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation

Fabian

are you sure they are orange. As you know mine are also red and I haven't found any Google pictures of orange ones. I just wonder if the colour only appears orange in the film due to snow reflection or something. Did you get an answer from Tyrolia?

Now that's a solution! Subjectivity of perceived colour, especially given wildly differing colour reproduction from one computer screen to the next, could have been a real hamper. 

On 04/02/2017 at 15:23, Lotusfab said:

Have located the guy who worked for Olin and allegedly made the skis. So have asked him what colour the bindings were!

This is the sort of stuff that keeps you up at night!

Nothing keeps me up at night believe me ;)

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

I'm sleeping better now the fuel tanks have been sealed! ?????

Skis

Well who knows whether the following is fake news or alternative facts, but on the internet I found some interesting information. No it's not about Aliens! Apparently the skis looked like Olin comp SLs, but four unique pairs were custom made for the movie. They had the same graphics but were longer! My feeling having viewed the movie again is the Tyrolia 380 bindings were probably orange. I am still waiting for confirmation. 

Wheels

Im still searching. If anyone knows of cx500 centres please let me know. I also need the rear 4 x 15, 20 hole Compomotive Lips. 

Fuel system

with the tanks sealed I now have to work on the exterior, removing and treating all rust spots and then painting with POR15. I have PMN making a stainless crossflow pipe. They have also supplied the correct rubber pipes including the special ones for the crossflow pipe. 

• Like 1

IMG_1285.JPG.4f70e8340e28066f4793d1baadcfd760.JPGSpurred on by posters from another time and after four weeks of back breaking labour the final coat went onto the tanks, they're done.?????????????The inside and outside now epoxy POR15. As I said before I would not recommend this method unless you are prepared to do many, many cleaning cycles. Anything less will result in an unreliable fuel system and a blocked filter! 

Have to give the engine bay a good clean and start to put the fuel system back together.

skis

having searched for months Ive learned a lot. Here's the bombshell for anyone who's not a skier, skis of a particular model come in different lengths! The Olin MKVI COMP SLs are no exception! Having scoured all the known universe I found serval of this model but they were 185s. I'm happy to say I think my search may be at an end thanks to a Lady who is supplying a second pair of Olin MK VI COMP SLs, size 205. Mr bonds foot gives a clue to the ski size, look along the side of the ski.

Also a very big thanks to our Austrailian enthusiast Roo who not only saved my S1 project by supplying the clock for my periscope screen, but has picked up the Portland skis and is kindly shipping them to me - thanks Lotus Forums! 

• Like 1

Wheels

still illusive. What I have so far,

3 cx500 centres, front  Lips .

barrels can be made so really only need one cx500 centre and the rear Lips. I will swap the front 15 x 1.5 Lips for 15 x 1 if anyone wants to? The wheel suffered air loss with the 1 inch lip so the wheel centre was moved to the outside of the 1.5 inch lip. This solved the problem but is not Bond! 

I have a plan if the rear Lips don't turn up on eBay. The are available without a rolled edge. But using my Compomotive front Lips as a pattern I can get them remade. 

That is fantastic news Fabian,  Really pleased you finally got your tanks sorted and the ski issue is now sorted too, Big well done to the members who helped you ship those hard to find find bits also :thumbup:

2 minutes ago, Lotusfab said:

Wheels

still illusive. What I have so far,

3 cx500 centres, front  Lips .

barrels can be made so really only need one cx500 centre and the rear Lips. I will swap the front 15 x 1.5 Lips for 15 x 1 if anyone wants to? The wheel suffered air loss with the 1 inch lip so the wheel centre was moved to the outside of the 1.5 inch lip. This solved the problem but is not Bond! 

I have a plan if the rear Lips don't turn up on eBay. The are available without a rolled edge. But using my Compomotive front Lips as a pattern I can get them remade. 

Wheel wise Fabian just hold out for the last centre as one will turn eventually soon anyway, probably when you have stopped looking is normally the way !  :) 

Its just a pity the lotus pcd is not 5 x130 as bloody loads of cx500 for the porkers have been on recently :(

A

IMG_1285.JPG.833f6c081eab1b8077ec01194a4fc762.JPGA little "Off Piste", ( they don't get any better) my investigation into the James Bond bindings continues. I found a picture from Tyrolia 1981 bindings, I shows there were no Orange bindings available to the public. However apparently Tyrolia did make Neon Orange bindings only available to Tyrolia for their own use! So I would say the Bond Tyrolia 380 bindings were Neon Orange.IMG_1301.thumb.PNG.35054d7fa1d4073ac9ee5dd82c28b46f.PNG

It just so happens it's an easy colour to buy!

Anyone on here good at making graphics?

Have finally managed to contact Tyrolia directly. They are very proud of their bindings and rightly so. The chap I spoke to was very helpful, but not old enough to have been there when the movie was made. He is making enquires. In the mean time I took all my bindings out to start their renovation and noticed I have two colours. They were boxed they arrived and so I didnt really look at them. It seems I have a pinky/ orange colour and red. Could this be the bond colour? Will have to rethink the above in light of this and wait for Tyrolia to respond.