Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
what is a supercar - Page 3 - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

what is a supercar

esprit350

Hi,

A quote from Top Gears Jeremy Clarkson when he reviewed the last of the Esprits:

"This is definitely a supercar, looks good, goes quick, nothing else really matters!"

Got that clip as a WMV if anyone wants it, not brilliant quality, but watchable. :( I think it's small enough to email.

Owen.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The question is a moving target year after year IMO. The "supercar" badge continues to rise every year, thus, older cars fall off the list.

I may say that the Esprits may have been "supercars" in their day, but not by today's standards of what I consider a supercar. My feeling is not limited to the Esprit, but rather other "former" supercars as well.

Hopefully, the new Esprit will be able to garner "supercar" status by today's standards.

Interesting point on the "supercars" in their day" Cliff.

Maybe, now, when you can buy any model Esprit for less than the

cost of a new top of the range Ford Mondeo, we have to look back

at each model the year it was made, and then i think we could dub

every one made a 'supercar'.

:)

Ideal tag......................Supercar Classic or Clasic Supercar.

Super car is not just about performance, my estate car will outrun my S4 but my estate car will never be a supercar!!

I think the esprit is still a supercar provided it is bracketed as a classic supercar. The design is Old but Classic. The performance is now good but no better. The handling is great but not as useable in the real word as most of the four door Jap crap around. As a package it is outdated but...................and its a big but, as you drive down the street people will still stop and look!!! When you get in it and drive, it is not transport, its an occassion!!!

Now that to me is the essence of a supercar!!

I posted on a different forum a poll before buying and I chose the term Demi supercar. I was told by the masses it was not demi but super. The reasons cited were, unique, outrageous yet stylish, something to dream about and turns virtually every head you pass.

Even Mr Clarkson said he liked ford switches "air of quality" in his DB9 monologue on a TV re-run of Top Gear about 30 seconds ago...

I read back a few posts about 4 seater supercars, could you consider the Ferarri 412? :)

the problem is the term supercar is from a period of what were percieved to be supercars of their era, muira's, countach, 308's etc.. in the 70's 80's they were supercars and the esprit was fortunate to be classed as one, reguardless of its engine size.

now the e sprit for insurance is under classic car insurance however the bracket i am in and the listing on my insurance is stated supercar/exotic.

these days the cars are not classed as supercars, you cant use that reference because it wasnt meant for todays cars, todays are so over engineered the new hypercar term really has to be used for them all.

a true supercar, was a bone shaking, heat producing jaw dropping and eye catching machine, i think that the esprit still falls into this catagory moreso im afraid to say i feel this is more represented by the pre stevens cars.

however when i saw punkys car on the road for the first time driving behind then along side i would say that in terms of looks, stance, height and overall bloody noise it competes with todays cars.

is the esprit a supercar, yes it always has been and always will be, you cant take away something from this car that was given to it at a time more prevelant than today.

the goalposts are always moved to suit those who want things to fit in with how they view the world, sorry it doesnt work that way, when you define something as being what it is then that is what it is reguardless of what era it now is.

i proudly say i own one of britains best known, best loved exotic supercars, and no-one will take that away from me.

I take issue with the statement that old supercars are dropping off the list because they aren't as quick as new cars. I believe once a supercar, always a supercar. A Miura is still a supercar. A GTO is still a supercar. A Maserati Bora is still a supercar. Their styling, rarity, reputation and exoticness (if there is such a word) is what makes them supercars. You normally see them travelling only at the same speed as other traffic or stationary so their speed compared to modern cars doesn't really come into it. It's more the noise, the drama, the experience. I don't believe an M5 is a supercar despite it's sheet speed. It's too civilized, too normal-looking.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

I agree with Trevor.

A supercar is designed to pull blondes. A BMW is designed to pull caravans.

Nuff said?

Proud recipient of the LEF 'Car of the Month Award' February 2008

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "Wow, what a ride!!"

A BMW wasn't designed to pull caravans (it's rubbish at that), its designed to pull teenagers with no sense of style and people who use words like "Hoe, be-atch and well smart". :P

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

I'll concede that, Kimbers innit. Dat Beemer is well sick, man.

But my caravan line was funny...

Proud recipient of the LEF 'Car of the Month Award' February 2008

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "Wow, what a ride!!"

I fought vat my comment bart da well smart Beemer was well cool....innit!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Thanks Chris - spot on - hadn't seen that before! :cheers:

And if Jezza says it's a supercar that's good enough for me!!

And just spotted the point where he stalls the Esprit - just outside the village where I live - on the Charlbury to Shipton under Wychwood road...

Edited by Iain

1983 Turbo Esprit - Silver - 'Lottie' and 1999 Elise - Norfolk Mustard - 'Liz' Daily driver - 286,000 miles and counting!

Well there you have it. Funny thing though, Clarkson's predictions were all wrong. Now there a more supercars than ever. I don't think supercars are all about "look at me". I think you really have to love cars and the mechanical wonders supercars are.

Cheers,

Clay