Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Evora S1 ambient lighting - Page 3 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Evora S1 ambient lighting

This looking good isn’t it! I’m going to see if I can do this as well, having the LED strip lights on when headlights on would be really neat, it’s not an in your face light just creates a nice ambience!

What relays should I be getting?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
3 hours ago, Brendonian said:

This is amazing. Do you have any idea of the cost involved in all this?

I'm about $45 in so far, but didn't source from China, which would have reduced costs by at least half, in exchange for having to wait 3 months to receive parts. 

2 hours ago, Techyd said:

This looking good isn’t it! I’m going to see if I can do this as well, having the LED strip lights on when headlights on would be really neat, it’s not an in your face light just creates a nice ambience!

What relays should I be getting?

If going for lowest cost, you could get either a single DPDT, or 2 SPST 12V relays. For simplicity, I went with a 2-channel 12V relay module, which is basically 2 micro SPST relays on a pcb with some screw headers. 

• Thanks 2

Awesome - thank you @agentdr8 !!

I had a brief look at the ICM yesterday and can see where the changes are to be made.  The PCB you note above, sounds like the best option, where / how did you mount this?  If you're able could I get a picture of it in situ.

I'm guessing as well that the dome light wire will be driver side for me, given I'm right hand drive?  Another question on this bit, did you use the same relay at this point or did you wire both relays up with the ICM?  I'm guessing yes so just trying to figure out the work required against the dome light wire near subwoofer?

Thanks in advance for your help - this is great thread by the way and I may look at the engine bay illumination as well, could be a neat touch.  I'm already thinking of spraying engine cover red...

10 hours ago, Techyd said:

Awesome - thank you @agentdr8 !!

I had a brief look at the ICM yesterday and can see where the changes are to be made.  The PCB you note above, sounds like the best option, where / how did you mount this?  If you're able could I get a picture of it in situ.

I'm guessing as well that the dome light wire will be driver side for me, given I'm right hand drive?  Another question on this bit, did you use the same relay at this point or did you wire both relays up with the ICM?  I'm guessing yes so just trying to figure out the work required against the dome light wire near subwoofer?

For my car, I just double-sided 3M VHB'd the pcb relay module to a nearby flat surface. But for the one I'm putting together for @Brendonian I plan on 3D printing a small ABS enclosure just so it looks/feels more polished. Less concern about it touching any metal if the tape fails too (not that I've ever had that happen with VHB). 

To be honest, I'm not sure if the dome light wire runs down the driver's side on a RHD car. I'd imagine it's a mirror of the LHD cars since your fuse panel is on the passenger side as well, unless your subwoofer is also on the driver's side, in which case there's a good likelihood that the dome light wire and connector is still on that side of the vehicle near the B pillar. The easiest way to check is just pull the back seat bottom cushion out and look at both B pillars. The connector is behind the panels on the side, but you should be able to see a wire bundle leading up toward the headliner. 

As for the relays, only one gets wired to the ICM connections, and the other relay is wired to the 1st relay. Both of these (or the relay module) are located in fuse panel area. The only thing that needs to go towards the dome light is a single wire to provide a new switched ground that's controlled by the 2nd relay output. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

22 minutes ago, agentdr8 said:

I also ordered a set of connectors to build a pass-through for the "roof harness 2" connector, so that the dome light wire connection is also plug-and-play. This should make the entire kit 100% reversible without any modifications to the stock harness. 

That's just ridiculously good 😎

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Brendonian said:

Awesome work!  How much do you want for these? I'm really excited to get one. 

I'm right around $75USD including P&P to most of the UK. Hopefully that's reasonable. 

10 hours ago, Foxy said:

That’s fantastic @agentdr8 !!

There are probably a few in the UK who’ll want one. Happy to distribute this end for you if you want to do batches?! 

That would definitely lower the P&P costs significantly, as the cheapest I could find is via USPS at around $25 per. Of course there would be a delay for the entire lot, as it takes me a day or two to build a set, and a few days to a week to receive the parts. 

7 hours ago, trcm said:

Oooh yes, count me in for one too please!

Can you look into switching the door LEDs to multicolour ones too so they're a red colour at night to go with the dash ;)

Swapping the LED color to something else wouldn't be hard, but incorporating multicolored ones might be, as there's only a single pair of wires going to the LEDs. Need at least another wire to be able to control which color is being shown. 

4 hours ago, pete757 said:

I am 'in' as well please! 

VEEY nice mod that utilises the existing lights... yes, lets show these off 👍 

I think maybe a list is in order. I'll start one in another post to keep track. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Techyd said:

I’ll definitely be taking one of these kits!

Don't worry Dean, I haven't forgotten about PM conversation. I actually had already started on the one for you before I finished the first kit. 

Here's the list so far. I'll probably just place an order for parts with this quantity plus a few extras, and work on building them all as a single batch. 

• Like 1

May I ask if the 'kit' could come with a set of step by step instructions/photographs so that electrical phobics such as myself can get it installed simply! 

Also, can you confirm that the footwell light is not on... just the door lights? I would imagine the footwell light could be distracting...?

Great stuff :>)

Just now, pete757 said:

May I ask if the 'kit' could come with a set of step by step instructions/photographs so that electrical phobics such as myself can get it installed simply! 

Also, can you confirm that the footwell light is not on... just the door lights? I would imagine the footwell light could be distracting...?

Great stuff :>)

Yep, I'll be posting an install guide, full of pictures. I'll probably reference the service notes for some, and other how-to articles for others, but it should be easily installable by most with just a few hand tools. 

And the footwell lights are not part of the mood lighting; they're driven off a different ICM input. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, agentdr8 said:

Yes, I definitely want one please! Would be a little churlish if I didn’t seeing as I ‘started it’! 

Re. Distribution- I’m not looking to make anything out of it. But if you wanted to send all the UK ones to me I could collect money and ship from here. Sounds like that could save $15 to 20 per kit?

How many are you up for making? Would you want to open this up to the Facebook group?

Edited by Foxy

6 hours ago, agentdr8 said:

Yep, I'll be posting an install guide, full of pictures. I'll probably reference the service notes for some, and other how-to articles for others, but it should be easily installable by most with just a few hand tools. 

And the footwell lights are not part of the mood lighting; they're driven off a different ICM input. 

That would be great - thanks!  For the dome lights grounding wire I can see the cable but not figured out yet how to get access to it yet, especially as all the panels are covered in totally unmarked / unscuffed leather I don't want to be the one that ruins them 😆