Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Gearbox Oil Cooler - Page 2 - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Gearbox Oil Cooler

I can't seem to find any pictures of this kit installed on any cars. Wondering if its worth it for a street/less than a handful of HPDEs a year. car is around 500HP. The gears, diff and clutch are going to be swapped out when this one fails, just trying to have my ducks in a line.

7 hours ago, John z said:

I can't seem to find any pictures of this kit installed on any cars. Wondering if its worth it for a street/less than a handful of HPDEs a year. car is around 500HP. The gears, diff and clutch are going to be swapped out when this one fails, just trying to have my ducks in a line.

I just ordered the Komo-tec one for reasons I outlined in my build thread.  With 500hp, I’d definitely have a cooler installed.

I’ll try to take photos when my cooler is installed in the coming weeks :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Its one of those mods you really won't see, but which can be quite usefull. I had it installed by Komotec just shortly after having repeated shifting issues on track and in the Alps. A definitive must fpr those running in Southern Europe such as me.

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

43 minutes ago, TBD said:

Its one of those mods you really won't see, but which can be quite usefull. I had it installed by Komotec just shortly after having repeated shifting issues on track and in the Alps. A definitive must fpr those running in Southern Europe such as me.

I was just curious where it attached to. I'd imagine it attaches to the galvanized frame along the bottom. I already have an Evora 400 style undertray to help with cooling.

Edited by John z

• 2 weeks later...

I have purchased a Moroso baffled sump and the KT gearbox cooler, both of which are getting fitted to my Exige 350 this week.  I am also replacing the stock ECU with the ECUMaster EMU Black at the same time.  As a result, I am currently trying to figure out what additional sensors it is possible to install while doing the work.  I understand that I should be able to add both engine oil pressure and engine oil temperature sensors to the Moroso baffled sump, correct?

Am I also able to add gearbox oil pressure and gearbox oil temperature sensors to the KT gearbox cooler or the gearbox itself?

Any other sensors I should be considering while I am at it?

Thanks!

Matthew,

Oil temp easy, as the Moroso pan as a bung waiting for a temp sensor.

You don't get oil pressure at the Moroso pan. 

I get oil pressure at my sandwich plate, or I would imagine you can get oil pressure from the appropriate spot off the engine.

Gearbox temp would be good.....gearbox pressure> I don't get why you'd want/need that?? 

Logging lambda/A/F readings can prove helpful in diagnosing engine issues.

I also log manifold pressure/boost and post-blower air intake temps.

DATA can be your friend.  I'm sure your shop doing the ECU/engine work can set you up.

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige V6 CupR
Track videos ... http://www.youtube.com/jackcup
2010 Lotus Challenge Series ULTRA Class champion
2012 Lotus CUP USA OPEN Class champion

10 hours ago, Jack said:

Matthew,

Oil temp easy, as the Moroso pan as a bung waiting for a temp sensor.

You don't get oil pressure at the Moroso pan. 

I get oil pressure at my sandwich plate, or I would imagine you can get oil pressure from the appropriate spot off the engine.

Gearbox temp would be good.....gearbox pressure> I don't get why you'd want/need that?? 

Logging lambda/A/F readings can prove helpful in diagnosing engine issues.

I also log manifold pressure/boost and post-blower air intake temps.

DATA can be your friend.  I'm sure your shop doing the ECU/engine work can set you up.

Thanks @Jack, that is super helpful.  RRR will be supplying the kit and base map, Back on Track are fitting it all, and then RRR will do final bespoke mapping - so at the moment I am just trying to establish exactly which sensors I need to order with the kit.  It sounds like I should get:

1. engine oil temp from the Moroso sump
  2. engine oil pressure from the engine
  3. gearbox oil temp from the KT cooler(?)
  4. lambda/A/F readings logged by Bosch LSU 4.9

No need for gearbox oil pressure sensor then it sounds like, which is good.

I think that you need to remove the intake manifold to install sensors for manifold pressure/boost and post-blower air intake temps, correct?  If so, not going to do that at this stage but may do that in future if I ever get round to changing the supercharger for a TVS1900.

Thanks again!

33 minutes ago, Mattmahope said:

Thanks @Jack, that is super helpful.  RRR will be supplying the kit and base map, Back on Track are fitting it all, and then RRR will do final bespoke mapping - so at the moment I am just trying to establish exactly which sensors I need to order with the kit.  It sounds like I should get:

1. engine oil temp from the Moroso sump
  2. engine oil pressure from the engine
  3. gearbox oil temp from the KT cooler(?)
  4. lambda/A/F readings logged by Bosch LSU 4.9

No need for gearbox oil pressure sensor then it sounds like, which is good.

I think that you need to remove the intake manifold to install sensors for manifold pressure/boost and post-blower air intake temps, correct?  If so, not going to do that at this stage but may do that in future if I ever get round to changing the supercharger for a TVS1900.

Thanks again!

So do you have a different dash or using gauges?

I looked at the KT offering instead of the GAR dash, but not cheap at 3.5K but probably bug free unlike the GAR.

cheers

At this stage I am just keeping the standard dash but installing a data logger for diagnostics.  The sensors will also help with the mapping.

Next step will be to hook up an ECUMaster dash which can display all the data live, but can't afford that at the moment.

Matthew, do the dash as soon as you are able. 

Being able to view engine data/parameters live is important, and especially  having "alarms" that will catch you eye quickly if there is a major issue.

The stock dash is virtually unreadable for me when on track and provides inadequate info. ;)   

I love my MXS dash, AiM even has a version for street cars/street icon model....https://www.aim-sportline.com/en/products/mxs-1.2-strada/index.htm

page1-3-clear.JPG

• Like 2

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige V6 CupR

Oh no @Jack, why oh why did you have to go and say that!?!

RRR (who are suppying my ECU) sell both the ECU Master ADU dash:
https://rrrshop.co.uk/ecumaster-adu-1254-p.asp

And they sell the Aim MXS Strada dash:
https://rrrshop.co.uk/aim-mxs-strada-car-dash-display-1253-p.asp

Both look pretty good to me.  Any obvious differences between the two worth considering?

Matthew, don't know much about the ECU Master dash, but I'm sure its up to the task.  I'd go with your shop's recommendation.

The only possible distinction, if it matters to you since you have a street car, is that AiM sells a version of their dash with appropriate icons for street cars.

MXS_STRADA_CAN.thumb.jpg.a1a04e6a69092b992fef5a033af05fd3.jpg 

• Like 1

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige V6 CupR

Having spoken to RRR, they highly recommend the ECUMaster (even though they also sell the AIM), so I'll probably go with that given that it should sync up perfectly to the ECUMaster Black ECU.  They will do me a bundle deal to lighten the cost burden.

So now the choice is 5 inch or 7 inch... I imagine 7 inches would be tight in the standard binnacle, but I think others have managed to fit a 7 inch GARW dash, so maybe it does work?

I’m considering the AIM dash, but mount it on the dash similar to the Aston GT4 setup. That way you have the traditional dials plus all the extra bits that come with the digital displays. 

DA92F19C-8384-4325-B8A7-CF6C72392E1E.jpeg

Bigger is always better except when it's not.

I have no problem seeing my MXS dash and I'm OLD!  On the other hand, I do have a problem taking a good pic with my cell phone:D 738687106_paddlesdash1.thumb.JPG.cd76cdcf7d61a3026330ec4c5a75ceb5.JPG

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige V6 CupR

5 hours ago, Mattmahope said:

Not a question I expected to be asking (at least not on this forum...) but yours is 5 inches, right @Jack?

Yes, but my hands are really big.  😎

• Haha 1

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige V6 CupR

The only issue I gather may be with the MOT and the dash warning lights, I.e. the ABS warning. At least it is with the GAR unit. I’ll be going aim later this year.

cheers

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mark030358 said:

The only issue I gather may be with the MOT and the dash warning lights, I.e. the ABS warning. At least it is with the GAR unit. I’ll be going aim later this year.

cheers

Interesting @Mark030358. Do you have any more colour on that? Could be a deal breaker for me...

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/06/2019 at 06:05, Mattmahope said:

Interesting @Mark030358. Do you have any more colour on that? Could be a deal breaker for me...

@Mattmahope Need a bit more research, but @Seriouslylotus said this was the case. Also maybe with the "Race" mode indication too, as I believe KT coudn't resolve that indication. The other issue also with the bigger dash is that you will need remote push buttons.There are work arounds though.

I'm looking at the 7" MXG 1.2 Starda (see my other thread under interior). Will keep it updated if I bite the bullet.

cheers

• Like 1

On 06/07/2019 at 05:41, Mark030358 said:

The other issue also with the bigger dash is that you will need remote push buttons.There are work arounds though.

I'm looking at the 7" MXG 1.2 Starda (see my other thread under interior). Will keep it updated if I bite the bullet.

cheers

Remote push buttons?  No problem, AiM has you covered.... https://www.aim-sportline.com/en/products/remote-buttons-interface/index.htm

• Like 1

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige V6 CupR

• 6 months later...

Back to the original subject. Can people who have installed a gearbox oil cooler provide some feedbacks? Did it resolve gear shift issues you had in the past?

I heard that the pump of the komo-tec kit is making some unpleasant noise. Can I have more information about that?

What about Hangar111 solution? I read GFWilliams comment saying the position might not be ideal.

Any other solution on the market?

How many labor time should be accounted for fitting a such kit?

Thanks!

Edited by tomprout