Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
503 elite new project Air Conditioning advice - Projects & Restorations - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

503 elite new project Air Conditioning advice

Starting refurb on elite 503 1979. Still has power steering.

I wish to re-install the air conditioning. Heater unit and pipes to installed dryer are already fitted. The compressor is ready to reinstall as is the a pipe from the dryer to compressor. I am missing and seeking the condensor and two pipes running back to I believe to the dryer and compressor.

Unfortunately I only have a series 2 elite éclat workshop manual which is different to a series one.

Do I need a pulley adjuster for the compressor belt.
Is that it for the air con system as series two workshop show a dale valve and only one pipe in one out on the dryer , Mine has two pipes in one out .

Anyone with air con elite 503 able to help .
Also where does the condensor go ,any brackets i,n front or behind radiater , after or before fans .

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...

Believe I have all parts, the interior parts are still in car.  I have the condenser ,pump and dryer unit and all pipes, but not installed. Before installing I would like to confirm nothing is missing and then try to understand where the parts are fitted in the elite. I have a manual which is instructive but my dryer unit looks different to pic it is bigger and their is no dale unit (8) .I do not   know how the drive belt attaches to the pump . Finally I will not install unless someone has managed to operate a working aircon, if you have pics of where the units in engine bay reside and how the belt to pump operates that would be helpful, also whether your dryer is as per manual pic. Thanks rob1501478787085942651582.thumb.jpg.183f786ef2dda9b42b4134d8b55f3fe5.jpg

That Dryer appears to be a 'Parker' unit, as originally fitted in my 84 Esprit.  Similar generic units are still easily and cheaply available.   Ideally you should throw the old dryer in the bin anyway.   If you are planning to re-use the original hoses (risky...) you just need to make sure the new Dryer has flare fittings and is compatible with whatever gas you are planning to use.  (or you could use a later O-Ring version with flare adaptors)   Beyond that, I don't think the physical form will matter too much.           

crank pulley, tensioner and A/C compressor. The tensioner sits between the compressor and the crank pulley.

:) 

It's getting there......

• 5 years later...

Going back to the aircon , still not fitted will put up pic on my dryer which  I will replace as not sure whether it contains a dale valve.  . Confusion on how vacuum operates with ac controls as I took out all the reservoirs when I replace heaflights with electric . Someone said replace with wires but I would like to reinstall or connect vacuum controls for air on heater . any ideas of the circuit / how the controls work . Perhaps I need to find an old 503 sitcom heater unit box to play with .

I'm not sure exactly when they changed but the service notes picture above is nothing like the system fitted later on.  The one above is a Delanair system as fitted to the early cars.  The dole (not dale) valve is a vacuum-controlled water valve that modulates the flow of hot water through the heater matrix - it is in the engine bay with the Delanair system but is integral with the HVAC unit in the car on later models and is cable-operated; it is not associated with the cooling side of things.

Take some photos of your unit in the car so we know what you have.

Pete