Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S2 Gearbox removal in-situ - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

S2 Gearbox removal in-situ

Daniel

I've read a few threads recommending that the engine and gearbox be removed together through the bottom.

I'm now at the stage where everything's off from exhaust to drive shafts and I've basically stripped everything off the rear of  the car as I want to have all the bits re-finished.

It appears to be to be simpler to unbolt the gearbox and remove that and then take the engine out through the top.

Is there any reason why this isn't a better idea?

I would of thought it would be harder trying to take the engine out from underneath?! Especially if you can't get the car high enough to clear the engine once its out? Splitting the gearbox from the engine would make it easier, im about to put my engine back in from above using an engine crane. 

paul

Mine is obviously not an S2 but with the tailgate removed lifting the engine and gear box together as long as you have a suitable hoist is not so bad. Space is limited but perfectly doable. 

The S2 is different, the boot floor doesn't come out so there's only the engine compartment, so it's either both out the bottom or separate and remove the box then the engine from above, which seams simpler to me, but I've seen a thread where it states categorically no to separate in situ and I wondered why?

Presumably potential damage which might occur to the shaft/seal but the workshop manual just gives instruction to support the box while separating from the engine.

21 hours ago, Daniel said:

I've read a few threads recommending that the engine and gearbox be removed together through the bottom.

I'm now at the stage where everything's off from exhaust to drive shafts and I've basically stripped everything off the rear of  the car as I want to have all the bits re-finished.

It appears to be to be simpler to unbolt the gearbox and remove that and then take the engine out through the top.

Is there any reason why this isn't a better idea?

Why do you need to take the engine out? Steve at SJ Sportscars told me he couldn't remember the last time they took an engine out, they do everything in situ. I've had the head off my S1 in situ, I've changed the water pump 3 times and I'm about to do the belt. You could do bottom end work from below so why bother taking it out?

To get the engine out from below on an S1 you need to jack the back up to the point where the front blade is almost touching the ground.

• Like 1

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

I don't like bolting nice shiny parts to grubby parts.

The car NEEDS a new manifold (cracked) and a timing belt. A compression test suggests that the one cylinder needs looking at, so I might as well replace the clutch and water pump.

Then as I'm removing parts, I may as well send them off for blasting and re-finishing.

When the engine's out, I can give the engine bay a real tidy up.

Plus I enjoy it. Resigned to the fact that it'll be off the road for a summer.

Take the gearbox off. I changed the clutch not long ago and the engine staying in the car whilst the gearbox cam off. You might find it easier to attatch the engine to a hoist and undo the engine mounts as the gearbox needs quite a steep angle downwards to come off. I let the mounts twist and was waiting for them to shear but fortunately got away with it. A gearbox jack is very useful too.

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Cheers Pete..... with the exhaust off, there seems like there's quite a lot of room behind the gearbox to pull it clear before dropping, is this not the case?

Know you've mentioned it already but watch out for putting pressure on the input shaft when separating.

I could see the gearbox coming out the bottom but does the engine really fit out between the body and chassis from below? 

1 hour ago, GTK said:

Know you've mentioned it already but watch out for putting pressure on the input shaft when separating.

I could see the gearbox coming out the bottom but does the engine really fit out between the body and chassis from below? 

The generally acknowledged method of removal in the S1 and S2 is both the engine and gearbox, together out through the bottom.

With everything out of the way it appears to be quite comfortable but will need some tilting.

As I'm doing this alone, with some help from my Mrs (who was valuable assistance when I removed the engine and gearbox from my Sport 350), it seems logical to split in to lighter, more manageable chunks of metal.

I would do gearbox from below and engine out the top. If you are leaving the engine attached to the mounts then it's a very tight fit between the top of the bellhousing and the top rail of the chassis. If you lower the engine then you should have plenty of room to manoeuvre. I also left calipers and discs attached which would have made it heavier. I got it off myself but it's a 2 man job to get it back on.

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Thanks Pete, I understand now.

Calipers and disks are off, I'm anticipating a fairly simple removal...... so I'll be back in a week crying no doubt.

• Like 1