Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Evora TVS1900 - Page 4 - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Evora TVS1900

Hi Guys,

Glad your enjoying the new kit @tim_marra

To answer a few of the questions on the N/A upgrade.... It's possible to do an NA but the cost gets up there very quickly. We use the Evora S file as the base map for tuning and to upgrade the NA to S in most cases means the ABS module needs to be replaced to the later level one which can have the program updated (the early ones up to about 2011 have a fixed program that cant be changed). Even with a later model N/A there is plenty of cost involved in getting the car into an Evroa S type spec before the 1900 or 1320 goes on. First and foremost the clutch needs to be considered, we have converted a few N/A's to the factory TVS1320 and most have been ok without a clutch but our first customer who did the 1320 upgrade blew his clutch the other day at a hill climb. An N/A upgrade to the TVS1900 wont last long at all and we haven't had anyone try this yet. Unfortunately the clutch upgrade is an engine out job which has a good 25-30 hours in it. There is lots of other hardware like the engine mount/idler bracket, injectors and inlet manifolds which N/A owners need to buy which are re-used on the S and most of these are only available through Lotus so the cost gets up there pretty quick.

I'm not sure what used Evora pricing is like in the UK but if it's anything like here it would probably be more cost effective to sell the N/A and buy the S as the starting platform.

Stu

• 3 weeks later...

Yeh, it’s dreadul and wishes he’d never done it.... said no one :lol:

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

Reflections? Hmm, well yes I suppose so. To be honest I have not used the car much since getting the work done, due to a series of heart breaking personal reasons. I am starting to use the car a little more now though.

One thing I have come to realise is the serious depth of ability the standard S has in real world driving. A truly great blend of power, ride and handling. In no small part due to the above my car is very much a keeper, having owned it from new. Part of the long term keeper plan was to get a tad more power than I will ever need. The TVS1900 does that and then some. In short, it is brilliant. From the quality of the SSC supplied kit, to the excellent experience I had at Hofmann's for the fitting, and the gains it delivers I have no regrets. The car has lost non of its drivability or refinement, yet delivers a significant increase in power everywhere across the rev range. It is now in the category where the power is, in reality, more than you could ever use on the road. Yes there are faster cars out there, but very few I imagine can offer the blend of driving pleasure, performance, and usability.

So in summary, if you are considering thinking of getting the conversion.......DON'T! Just get on with it 😍

Edited by tim_marra
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

It looks really well made and thought through.....  Hmmmm, would look good on my 410 Sport!  I love the red cylinder head covers too (yes, I'm a tart!)

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

On 16/04/2018 at 02:16, Simply Sports Cars said:

Hi Guys,

Glad your enjoying the new kit @tim_marra

To answer a few of the questions on the N/A upgrade.... It's possible to do an NA but the cost gets up there very quickly. We use the Evora S file as the base map for tuning and to upgrade the NA to S in most cases means the ABS module needs to be replaced to the later level one which can have the program updated (the early ones up to about 2011 have a fixed program that cant be changed). Even with a later model N/A there is plenty of cost involved in getting the car into an Evroa S type spec before the 1900 or 1320 goes on. First and foremost the clutch needs to be considered, we have converted a few N/A's to the factory TVS1320 and most have been ok without a clutch but our first customer who did the 1320 upgrade blew his clutch the other day at a hill climb. An N/A upgrade to the TVS1900 wont last long at all and we haven't had anyone try this yet. Unfortunately the clutch upgrade is an engine out job which has a good 25-30 hours in it. There is lots of other hardware like the engine mount/idler bracket, injectors and inlet manifolds which N/A owners need to buy which are re-used on the S and most of these are only available through Lotus so the cost gets up there pretty quick.

I'm not sure what used Evora pricing is like in the UK but if it's anything like here it would probably be more cost effective to sell the N/A and buy the S as the starting platform.

Stu

Just a heads up, i just had this installed on my 2011 NA a few weeks back. While i don't out right beat the snot out of the car it has been holding up ok. (didn't stop me from ordering a clutch and looking into the gear hardening issue that some sport boxes have had)

I'm far from an expert when it comes to the software needed to run the kit, i went with the BOE setup and they were able to refresh my ECU. Obviously doing this setup came with the understanding that the clutch will need to be upgraded 1 day. i currently have 38K on the car so my plans to ride this out as long as i can.(and in general see how long it will last) i have done 2 track days with the car solar(while NA) and live in NYC so have a lot of stop and go traffic just to give an idea of what kind of use the car sees.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 17/05/2019 at 10:51, Breeze said:

I also recently had the TVS 1900 conversion done to my 2015 Evora S sr at Hofmanns at the end of April while I had the car in the UK for its annual service and MOT.  It was my first visit to Hofmanns, and I found the guys were great to deal with throughout, and did a great job all round. So Why? I’ve greatly enjoyed my car since I bought it new from Hexagon in 2015, I was their first lotus customer!. I had thought about changing the car for a 400 at some point, but having tried a couple, decided I didn’t like it as much as the one I had. Until you get right up the rev range, there was also very little noticeable difference in the performance either.  I use the car very much as a daily and GT, I’ve never tracked it and have no intention of doing so in the future. I did like the idea for more power though, to be more precise, more torque. Having looked at all the options, I decided the simplest way forward, and most straight forward for me was the TVS1900 route. 

I picked up the car from Hoffmans mid morning on the 1st May. Visually, there is no change as the bigger blower fits nicely under the engine cover, a point I rather like. I then drove directly to the Tunnel and on to Ghent for the night. The following morning I drove down to Heidelberg, which was the enjoyable bit once on the unrestricted autobahns. It really is a worthwhile conversion, the increase in performance really transforms the car, it pulls hard throughout the rev range and is as smooth, if not smoother than the original setup. It really is very easy to cruise at speeds of double the UK limit and more, without any drama. The most noticeable difference is the way the car accelerates, at pretty much any speed, when you put your foot down. I don’t know exactly what the BHP figure is, I’m told 410/420, but the greatly increased torque makes it a very much quicker car than before. The supercharger makes slightly more noise than the OEM unit, but it’s never intrusive, unlike the Mad Max soundtrack from the Jackson Racing blower on my Honda S1 Elise.  After a night in Heidlebfrg, in a hotel built into a brewery!..which was fun, I had another rapid cruise down to Luzern. At low speeds, around town and in heavy traffic, the car is quiet and smooth as any other Evora, in fact, you wouldn’t know the difference. From Luzern, over the Ghothard pass and onto Italy and back home to Tuscany. The car ran perfectly all the way, and interestingly, seemed to run a bit cooler than before, it certainly didn’t smell as hot when stopped for an Autostrada services stop. So, all in all, I’m impressed, and very happy with the conversion. Thanks to all at Hofmanns for your good work and excellent service.  I’m a very happy customer.

are you planning on changing your clutch? if yes what are you going to get?

thanks

• 6 months later...

Hi all, and Happy Christmas!

I am very close to pulling the trigger on the TVS1900 for my Exige. I am hoping that you guys can alleviate one last small concern I have...

The TVS1900 is obviously a lot bigger than the standard 1320 unit, and even quite a bit larger than the 410/430 supercharger. From an entirely uneducated random survey of other cars, it seems like 1900cc on a 3.5l engine is perhaps a little “oversized”. As we all know, the bigger the charger, the greater the parasitic loss. My question is whether you notice this at all? Does the engine still want to rev freely and chase the red line, or is it more of “lazy” torque monster?

I appreciate that it is all relative of course - the V6 is no 4 pot screamer to begin with. But I guess I want to understand how the kit will change the characteristics of the engine more than just knowing what headline figures I can expect.

Have made a similar post on Aussie Elises forum in case anyone is also a member there.

Thanks in advance!

Can't say I have noticed any 'laziness' in the engine character compared to standard. Yes you can 'make progress' using the torque rather than revving it out, and I find I don't chase the red line so much since the conversion. Then again, I love how the car performs and still have a clean licence (touches wood).

Where are you planning on getting it done?

• Like 1