Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Remote Control Planes - Page 3 - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Remote Control Planes

Number 1

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what electric motor might be best suited for my next project which is a 50-60" span PBY Catalina ? (twin engine if anyone's not familair)

Photo-22-Catalina-flyby.jpg

It's going to be ply / balsa airframe with GRP to seal the hull for possible water landings (hand launch) and to make moulds for MK2-3-4-5 etc

Was going to run a pair of .15's but I much much much prefer the ease and clenliness of electric flight. No aerobatics just a scale flyer.

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

The best thing (IMHO) about electrics is that it makes multiengine aircraft so much easier.

post-1528-1177405521.jpg

And no, it doesnt fit in the TVR either :welcome:

Hi Pete

Is that a kit? Is it foam consruction? Kind of fancy one of them .............whats it like to fly?Looks really nice btw :thumbup:

Nick S4s

Simplest things first.

So what electric motor might be best suited for my next project which is a 50-60" span PBY Catalina ? (twin engine if anyone's not familair)

Photo-22-Catalina-flyby.jpg

It's going to be ply / balsa airframe with GRP to seal the hull for possible water landings (hand launch) and to make moulds for MK2-3-4-5 etc

Was going to run a pair of .15's but I much much much prefer the ease and clenliness of electric flight. No aerobatics just a scale flyer.

Amphibians.

Now you are torkin' Jono.............. Surely the most graceful of all aircraft ?

Schneider trophy class, Catalina, Spruce Goose, Sunderlands . Real Hostesses with seamed stockings ??? The mind Boggles.

Just love those steps........

( Thats on the hull, for you land lubbers !)

Mike

"Neglect not thy opportunities"

Martock ,Somerset. 1661

Jon,

for the PBY you need something around 75watts/lb so it depends on what the weight is expected to be.

(Something like 200w would be a reasonable replacement for a 0,15ci motor.)

The biggest problem with twins is what happens when you lose an engine. Normal result is a spiral dive into the ground before you can catch it... With electrics you can run a pair of brushed motors in series and that problem disappears.

As an example, the Lockheed Starliner runs on just 4 x speed400 motors (wired in pairs) 2,33:1 gearing and 8x6 props for around 5lb total weight. (Its also a scratchbuild in balsa as I couldnt even find any plans for this model let alone a kit.)

Edited by redshift

Mike - I only understood 1/2 of that :unworthy:

The cat is one of my favouritest of aircraft, the Sunderland also used to be moored not far from here at Chatham / Rochester docks before it was sold over seas. There was a cat at Duxford but someone said it had been done in 'Greenpeace' colours now (WTF ?!?)

Pete - thanks for the info. I was very suprised to see the specs on brushless stuff last night when I did some research, electric subs for .60 engines with direct prop to rotor, amazing !!!

MK1 is going to be 58" span, about 1.5kg flying weght to get a rough wing load of about 17oz/sq ft which seems to be a nice balance between dosile trainer and manouverability.

200 watts is spot on actually - I done the calcs earlier and it came to 192 watts.

Good call on the engines, but running them in series wont that cause a larger volt drop across them and make them slower ?

I was more tempted to buy 1x 60 amp speed controller and run them off that in parallel

I saw a guy make a BEAUTIFUL P-38 lightning and the engine splutter on take off causing the plane to slew around, the tip stalled on the slow wing and the thing spiralled into the ground :wallbash:

I was going to go for something like an EMAX 2810/20amp with 1100 rpm/volt and a 7x4 3 blade prop for looks.

Not too fussed on the flyability, I just love building the things - when I build the 80" span one I need to work out how to make the retracts.

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

Mike - I only understood 1/2 of that :unworthy:

The cat is one of my favouritest of aircraft, the Sunderland also used to be moored not far from here at Chatham / Rochester docks before it was sold over seas. There was a cat at Duxford but someone said it had been done in 'Greenpeace' colours now (WTF ?!?)

Pete - thanks for the info. I was very suprised to see the specs on brushless stuff last night when I did some research, electric subs for .60 engines with direct prop to rotor, amazing !!!

MK1 is going to be 58" span, about 1.5kg flying weght to get a rough wing load of about 17oz/sq ft which seems to be a nice balance between dosile trainer and manouverability.

200 watts is spot on actually - I done the calcs earlier and it came to 192 watts.

Good call on the engines, but running them in series wont that cause a larger volt drop across them and make them slower ?

I was more tempted to buy 1x 60 amp speed controller and run them off that in parallel

I saw a guy make a BEAUTIFUL P-38 lightning and the engine splutter on take off causing the plane to slew around, the tip stalled on the slow wing and the thing spiralled into the ground :wallbash:

I was going to go for something like an EMAX 2810/20amp with 1100 rpm/volt and a 7x4 3 blade prop for looks.

Not too fussed on the flyability, I just love building the things - when I build the 80" span one I need to work out how to make the retracts.

Jono,

let me explain to a young man about seamed stockings ........................!!!!!!

No forget that . ............................................ Schneider Trophy races held inthe Solent in the thirties were very hotly contested by many technically advanced nations especially those wishing to gain a military advantage in the air. The Italians and Germans were very keen to compete. I wonder why ?

Also in the Solent area in Southampton Water a few years ago the only Cat in Europe made a bad landing and unfortunately killed the mayor of southampton amongst others. I understand the cat involved is now flying again and maybe the Greenpeace cat that has been mentioned.

Actually I think I misinformed you , it was the Princess and Empire flying boats that had those 'Hostesses' Sighhhh !

As far as elegant flight is concerned , the interface between air and water that is bridged by flying boats , floatplanes and amphibians is just so beautiful , so elegant , so intrinsic as to defy description, spesially as I feel a dwunkon evring about tu kreap up on me,

Thank you Mr Carlsberg , for your fine medicinal products !

Mike .

"Neglect not thy opportunities"

Martock ,Somerset. 1661

Did a rough simulation and 'low tech' solution would be:

AUW 1500gm, Wing 58 in span, 435 sq in, 18 oz/sq ft, Stall approx 21mph

Power 2 x Speed 480BB Race, 3:1 gearing, 8x6 props wired in series with 6S 4000mAh LiPoly batteries. 15A max current.

Would give around 20mins flight times.

(With the motors in series it is using a higher voltage in total)

If you want to play with possible set-ups, have a look for a program called 'MotoCalc8'. You should be able to download a free trial version to evaluate. Its not perfect but it is pretty close.

• 2 weeks later...

well mr bibs has started something here, i have now joined my local model flying club and one of them had a complete trainer plane for sale with engine, servos, all set up ready for just

• Gold FFM

Just couldn't resist this pic. Think its called 'taking over your living room' Bet he's got an understanding Mrs. (or more likely no Mrs at all)

post-910-1178319138.jpg

Edited by mayesprit

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Hmmm... ironing board for an undercarriage eh? ;)

Loads more equally bonkers large models can be seen on the LMA's site here

Edit - Ian, just realised that's where you found the ironing board Lanc :question:

Edited by Tentenths

• Gold FFM

I can't work out where the line comes between hobby and obsession. I mean where the hell would you keep this? Don't get me wrong - what a fantastic model but surely if you are going to build one this big, you might a well go the whole hog and try for your pilots licence and get a real plane. Is it the building of them? Is it the flying? Is it the attention to detail? Don't know the answer but why build a 50% replica - you might as well build full scale. You would vertually need a proper runway for this anyway.

post-910-1178320630.jpg

Edited by mayesprit

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Suspect it's escapism.

The LMA are holding a 3 day flying display not far from here over the Bank Holiday. As it's en route to the outlaws might well drop in for a quick look round. Not planning to build on that scale myself but, like you, find the whole thing slightly intriguing.