Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Alpine INE-W920R questions - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Alpine INE-W920R questions

My very first technical post since buying my 2010 Evora NA.

The car has already had the original Alpine upgraded to the INE-W920R.  There are three things I would like to do and having read other threads about this unit I am still a bit confused:

1) My car doesn't have a reversing camera (which surprised me as it has the tech pack, thought it came as part of this?).  I have seen a couple of options of camera but I am not sure if I will need to run wiring all the way to the unit from the back of the car?

2) I want to add a DAB module and have seen a suitable unit which is compatible.  I know I will need a new aerial, has anyone done this?  Where did you mount the aerial and the DAB unit, I was hoping there would be some room in the dash?  

3) I read that the original microphone is not compatible and sure enough I have two in the car, which is pulling at my OCD!  Ideally I want to use the original mic, is it just a case of buying an adapter for it?

Ideally, I want to pull the dash out and have everything I need to get all these jobs done and put it all back together in an afternoon.  Thanks for any advice.

Neil

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Having suffered the INE-W920R for almost a year now, I would recommend you just upgrade the headunit rather than add DAB to the current one.

The 920R is pretty slow (not a fast CPU, not much RAM, running 'iGO 8' released in 2008), the other newer options for the Evora are faster, have more RAM and run the current 'iGO Primo' version. Certainly you notice the slow CPU with the sluggish navigation responsiveness on the INE-W920R.

Oh OK, I wasn't expecting that!

The car is not a daily driver so I can probably live with it short term.  I really don't know what the newer options are so happy if anyone wants to recommend in case I do feel the need to upgrade and see what the cost will be in terms of upgrade vs resale value on old unit etc. in addition to my original questions.

TBF I don't have a problem with the W920R, the navigation software is over a 1000x better than the crap offering by JLR on 2017 cars and has got me around Europe on 3 occasions  with no problems at all. Yes it's a bit slow to respond but again still better than the JLR offering.

Plays  music via Bluetooth from phone ok (I don't need top hifi quality in a car), radio reception is not great but that's probably down to the aerial positioning and earthing more than anything else. As for DAB Alpine do a plug & play unit which you can also integrate with an amp but performance will all be down to aerial and earthing. 

For sure there are better units out there but I don't see the need to change if you're content with it and the Dab interface is cost effective.

• Like 1