Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
1978 Lotus Esprit S1 539H - Page 2 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

1978 Lotus Esprit S1 539H

Josh-

What color was the exhaust smoke?  Could be as simple as condensation.  I would make sure the oil and coolant are ok and let it run some to free up everything  

For the outside, see if there is oil leaking from the exhaust cam cover and dripping on the exhaust. I bought reusable cam cover gaskets from jhps.com

Of course that is just the outside but I worry as much about fire as I do about headgaskets, valve guides, and rings. 

Jim

Jim McLeskey Richmond, VA USA

Yes I agree with Jim. Not unusual for first runs of a rebuilt engine to be a bit smokey as all the excess oil burns off both out the exhaust and off the manifold. If it does persist after a few heat cycles have a look to check something isn't leaking fresh oil - such as the camshaft end cap "o" rings. If they've been reused they may have gone hard. You're having to do all the post rebuild checks for someone else - something may have been overlooked and needs a revisit.

- Jeremy

Project is officially over for me... Today I spilled some DOT 3 fluid on the Esprit for 10 minutes without noticing. The line was split and sprayed the outside of the car. It pretty much ate into the paint, and I am completely broken at this point.

I am just going to sell it, or trade it towards a 1990's SE. I just don't have the energy after the brake fluid incident, and don't know what I would even do with the paint now.

So wrecked, and completely angry that it happened. Thanks guys for all the help, but the paint was the only reason I was keeping this car. Now it is all ruined.

• Sad 1

Hi Josh

Take a deep breath, open a beer and relax, DON'T GIVE UP!! 

You have a very rare and valuable car, in the UK there are currently 3 or 4 S1s for sale, ranging from £50,000 ($66,991)  up to £100,000 ($133,982) and i know of one that sold recently for over that.                                                                                                                                                                                          

As im currently restoring a 1980 S2.2 i speak from experience, No matter how well things are going, something will always go wrong, check out all the restoration threads and see how many of us have suffered for the dream! We are all in it together. 

Ive spent 7 years so far restoring mine and i know theres people on here that have spent even longer, i can't tell you the frustration ive had restoring it and at times ive wanted to chuck the towel in and run, but i close the garage door, give it a few days and try again. 

Its your car and its your choice, i will post a couple of pictures of where i started out and where i am today will it, hopefully to give you some inspiration. 

good luck Paul

• Like 1

Thanks guys... I just left for the day. It wasn't worth being around the car anymore today.

Currently at home, just playing some guitar. Maybe that will make me feel a bit better, along with a few beers.

This weekend I will just relax, and think about it next week. I appreciate the kind words in my time of near implosion. Josh

20 hours ago, mowgli5555 said:

Thanks guys... I just left for the day. It wasn't worth being around the car anymore today.

Currently at home, just playing some guitar. Maybe that will make me feel a bit better, along with a few beers.

This weekend I will just relax, and think about it next week. I appreciate the kind words in my time of near implosion. Josh

I spent 9 years restoring an S1 and at times I didn't touch it for 6 months. Just leave it and forget about it for a while.

• Like 1

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Hang in here Josh. Give yourself a little break and then come back to it. You waited 2 years to start working on it - a few days off willl help. I've been plugging away at mine for nearly 3 years and drove it for the first time this summer. 

Jim

• Like 1

Jim McLeskey Richmond, VA USA

I remember installing a new roof lining on an old 912. Took me two go’s and 6 weeks of evening work to get it perfect. 

Some months later I welded a plug in a disused bolt hole in the rear arch. When I took my welding mask off the roof lining was on fire and there were flames coming out of the rear window.  I too felt despondent but as Paul stated I just walked away. Came back to it after a few months and third time around it only took my half as long to install another lining. Now, some years later,  I look back at the events and gives me a great chuckle. It’s these stories, the fight - that’s the adventure. 

• Like 2