Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Door lock retaining rod clip - Misc including parts cross references - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Door lock retaining rod clip

Hi all,

So recently I broke off one of my door lock rod retaining clips (the little white bit that connects the rod to the inside of the outer door handle) which has left me unable to use the central lock. 

I fashioned a homemade solution which works....until the clip pops out again leaving me back at square one. 

The part in question looks like this (the white bit):

395801A075U6033Z.jpg?mod=86

Now I ordered 4 of those from SJ just to have them on the shelf, but they don't seem to be quite the same as the original (the rod doesn't quite fit into the white clip when everything is installed - it's extremely tight, so tight in fact that it takes a LOT of force to lock and unlock). I tried drilling out the clip but it's still too tight. 

Does anyone know where I can source a spare that will work? Until then I'll outfit my solution with a small cable tie so it can't pop out! Alternatively if someone has a spare genuine part I'd be happy to buy it! 

Cheers in advance!

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

Thanks for the tip! I'll try them out!

Thanks for the tip! I'll try them out!

• Like 1

They do look a lot like those in a Defender and (early) Range Rover. There's also a complete plastic part as an alternative:

https://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-FVF10002L

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

1 hour ago, Escape said:

They do look a lot like those in a Defender and (early) Range Rover. There's also a complete plastic part as an alternative:

https://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-FVF10002L

Cheers. I have to do some measurements though as the hole in the actual door lock mechanism is quite small. The biggest issue I've had is that the clip gets so compressed that there's no longer room for the door lock rod inside the clip on the opposing side - the resulting system has to have play in it as the rod makes an angle to the clip as it locks and unlocks, and no adjustment of the rod length can make it entirely perpendicular...

• 4 months later...

Did you manage to source replacement bits, and moreover, what is involved with removal and reassembly? What is the right order.

The latch rod part that you have shown above is exactly the same as in place on my car, but although mine is intact there is too much slack/wear causing my door pull failure and I'm not sure if this is because the latch rod has straightened or the plastic bits have worn?