Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Faster valvetrain on chargecooler engines. - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Faster valvetrain on chargecooler engines.

Jacques

Hello all,

I would like to know, if anyone ever did something to speed up the valvetrain on a chargecooler engine (4-pot).

I tried to search around here and other places on the web, and I cannot really find anything on the matter.

A goal could for example be to be able to drive more sustained high revs between 6500 and 8500 revs.

By a faster valvetrain, I mean that there could be lighter shims, lighter followers (cups over shims) and faster springs with less chance of binding. For example same spring length but say ½ a Winding less and a bit stiffer and also shot peened or other proceses, which all together makes the valvetrain more capable of takinger higher revs.

In this respect, I am not including better conrods, lightened cranck, polished etc, even better pistons (which are already forged on the chargecooler engines), but having shorter skirts, better heat resistance, lighter etc, nor am I thinking of arp bolts etc. I am only thinking on the working internals in the cylinderhead.

As an example, for vw engines like the KR 1,8L and KR 2L and the PL 1,8 Liter engines plus the PG g-lader engine, it is possible to get very light titanium  cam followers and lighter and faster (stronger springs, without making valve salad. And also lighter shims to complement. I did some work of this kind to my old golf 2 engine's cylinderhead (mechanical manually adjusted valves, not hydraulic), and got it to take 8300 rpm's and sustained 7500 rpm's (sustained, I mean more than just a gearshift. Something like 30 seconds and alike). It never broke down the 13 years I drove it after making these mods. I hope it's clear what I mean.

And finally: is it possible to get hotter cams for streetdriving for the chargecooler engines, to tork together with for example this valve train mod (-or not)? Something like a fast road cam or even road/rallye cam for road use. I mean a set of hotter cams, that give a bit more on the top end and more grunt, while not being totally fluctuating in idle and low revs.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave (Changes) did many mods including crank, rods and pistons and some head work.  I think some have used titanium valves.  PM Dave with your question

he has a thread on here "412 BHP..." that details some of it

chris

90SE

just because I don't CARE doesn't mean I don't UNDERDSTAND

Jaques,

Yes, it has been done.  Check Loren's thread, long, but it's all there  http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f164/how-lose-600-lbs-270466/

Edited by MrDangerUS

MrDangerUS