Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Dash Switches - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Dash Switches

Hi All,

I'm restoring a 79 Federal S2 and have a question on the dash switches.  Specifically, I was hoping someone who has an original dash layout could advise on the headlight and hazard light switches.   All of the other dash switches have ribbed finger throws but the headlight and hazard switches (on my car) have smooth finger throws with international emblems (for lights and hazard "triangle") engraved into the throw.  I'm trying to determine if these switches, in their original format, had unmarked (no engravings), ribbed throws or if what I currently have is correct.  Seems odd that these two switches would be different from the others especially given that these switches (as well as all the others) have printed overlays (on the switch housing) identifying the function of each switch.  Can anyone who is certain on which is correct please advise.

Many thanks,

Lou R  

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
Guest gbowick

Lou,

My car is a UK spec 1979 S2 and I happen to be sitting with my switches in a bag beside me! I have just looked at them and I have four that are ribbed and two that aren't. The ones that are plain are the lights and panel switches, maybe it's just pot luck depending where they were sourced from at any one time!

Sorry not to be able to shed any light on things!

George

The smooth ones are replacements. Ribbed is original, for extra pleasure...

I managed to source to second hand originals a few years ago and recently swapped out my smooth ones. It's quite simple to replace just that part on the switches if you can find some ribbed ones but maybe on the wrong switch, if that makes sense?

Pete

• Haha 1

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Thanks guys,

Seems odd that Lotus would use different switches in the same car - not the best quality control.  Oddly, when I look at the owners handbook where it details the dash layout you can faintly see where the light and hazard switches have the international light and hazard symbols engraved on the throws.  In my mind that tells me they can not be ribbed (?).  Regardless, from my perspective it looks best when they are all ribbed.  Not much need for the engraved symbols since the switch function is engraved on the housing.  Just to be consistent I'm probably going to use all ribbed throws.  Fortunately, I've got a few spare switches (with ribbed throws) which I can use for parts.    

Thanks again.

Lou R

• Gold FFM

They should definitely all be ribbed and have labels for each function e.g. Lights rather than a symbol for the lights. The switches were used on some other cars - e.g. similar era TVRs, Triumphs, I think Austin Princess. You can get replacement labels on ebay (I bought a set as they are almost the same). Rimmer brothers will do replacement headlight switches for example but they have the smooth switches rather than ribbed as they are a replacement part rather than original Lucas ones.