Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Track friendly Evora exhaust? - Page 2 - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Track friendly Evora exhaust?

• 2 weeks later...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I was at Rockingham at the weekend.  Despite being a non-silenced day, they still did noise checks for information.  My 400 registered 112db on the static at just over 5,200 rpm...

5 hours ago, Bibs said:

:huh: That's incredibly loud! Bet it sounded epic though! 

We're really close to getting this done now, in the final stages :)

It sounded good to start with. By the end I was wishing I'd had ear plugs, even with my helmet. I don't think the concrete wall helped. I'm sure I was drowning out the  Aventador LP700-4!

4 hours ago, Hangar 111 said:

Fitted a QT to Sport 380 (same exhaust as 400 etc) yesterday.  Static tested 106dB as OEM, and 93dB with the QT on it.

Dave

Dave - how does the sound compare to the S1 Evora? I'm guessing the QT sounds significantly different from the OEM 400?

Greg

Whilst the 380 has same exhaust... the air volumes are different no? Due to the chargers, the Edelbrock shifting more air than the Harrop?

So the same system on the 380 will be different (noiser) on the 400/410/430?

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

I got to see the system that Bibs is talking about, and I have to say it is a quality bit of kit.  It will be valved, so you can flip between "quiet" and "loud", with the "quiet" mode rated in the 90s.  Crucially, there is no loss of power either.  Interestingly, the guys who are making it said the OEM exhaust system with the valve closed (i.e. quiet) cuts around 40hp from the power due to the restrictive flow. Anyway, I am sure @Bibs will update us all is the near future!

What’s the weight Bibs? Looks very complex...?

I assume dyno before and after?

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow

• Gold FFM

love that Bibs, sound s fabulous open through my speakers... when will pricing be availiable?

• Gold FFM

sounds to me on here  when open like the lovely 400 sound, hollow & beastie

This is now pretty much done for the Evora and Evora S however if someone has an Evora 400 available for a day to finalise development, it would be most appreciated. You'll be offered a good deal on a system in exchange for use of your car. Please pop me a PM ASAP if you're able to help out :)

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

That does sound very promising - would be good to have the best of both worlds (noisy + track friendly) for the 400.

I guess valve actuation could be a bit tricky on the 400.  Would be good if it operated as per normal on the buttons, but just not open automatically at high revs - have they mentioned what they have in mind?

The system will be valved, but not via the normal buttons on the dash.  It will also override the automatic opening at high revs, with no loss of power to potential damage due to back pressures.  Or so I am told!

Isnt the automatic opening very necessary? How is the extra gas flow at high revs going to escape otherwise? Yes, it'd be quieter at high revs with the value shut but it wouldn't be doing the engine much good i would have thought.

PS: Greetings all. I'm a lurker interested in this thread. I'm replacing my z4m in the new year and a Evora 400 was top of my wish list - until i found out about the fact lotus has made a GT track car that's not allowed on a track. In my mind this issue should be fixed and paid for by Lotus! You shouldn't have to go to a 3rd party and spend 1,000's to get a car to do what it was sold to you to do. I cant think of many other situations in life where this would be acceptable. Amusing really.

I imagine Lotus could, and would, argue that there are still some tracks you can take it on, despite the loud standard exhaust. Spa and Nurburgring spring to mind and ok, they may not be near your home, but you could still take it there. I do get a tad irritated by some of the low noise requirements of most UK tracks, especially when it is to appease locals who were probably quite aware they were buying a house near to a racetrack when they moved there. I realise it's very easy for me to say that but most of these tracks have been there for well over 60 years or more so if you don't like noise, errr don't move there.

Being a long time fan boy, I've always cut Lotus plenty of slack when it comes to expectations with their cars so would be prepared to fork out a bit more for a track friendly exhaust. I do appreciate that not everybody will though.

On 19/12/2017 at 17:55, JimD said:

Isnt the automatic opening very necessary? How is the extra gas flow at high revs going to escape otherwise? Yes, it'd be quieter at high revs with the value shut but it wouldn't be doing the engine much good i would have thought.

With the valve closed on this system, the gases are heading down the 70mm pipe which is the same as the OE exhaust with the valve open, so no restriction relative to how it is now. What Alunox have done is introduced more sound deadening into the system through various techniques. Basically, with the valve closed it's the same flow as the valve open on the OE, but without the noise. 

With the valve open, it also goes down a 76mm pipe so more noise comes out and also the gases have a much easier route. Once this is coupled with the 'in development' larger mid pipe and inconel headers plus 200 cell cats rather than the current 600 cell cats, you'll start to see some pretty substantial increases in power too. 

• Like 1

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Weights and power runs?

As you know I’m a keen 400 tracker, so watching with interest.

Does the valve still work for track use on 400 and what noise readings?