Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Newbie Saying Hello - Introductions - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Newbie Saying Hello

Nellie

Hi all!

Massive Esprit fan who is intending to take the plunge and buy one so have joined the forum as part of my research to further understand the joys of owning the Esprit :)

Will be probably asking loads of daft questions in the next couple of months as I get my house move out of the way and then start looking for the car for me, so you will have to bear with me.

Nellie :)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold FFM

Welcome to the Forum Adam - A really good place to start, you've come to the right place. Some really good technical members/owners to be found here.

Only advice I will give is, know the model you are looking for, and do lots of homework. Test drive a few if you are able.

Gook luck with the hunting.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Welcome to the forum, you have the right idea, ask lots of questions befor buying.

where in the world are you? I ask for two reasons :-

A someone may be near you that can come and look at a potential car with you.

B get along to localish meet and look at some cars , learn your way round the different models and blag a passenger ride

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvis...mbers/espritguy

Welcome to the forum, you have the right idea, ask lots of questions befor buying.

where in the world are you? I ask for two reasons :-

A someone may be near you that can come and look at a potential car with you.

B get along to localish meet and look at some cars , learn your way round the different models and blag a passenger ride

Hi,

I am currently in Southampton but that changes in May when I relocate to Milton Keynes due to a new job, will try to get along to any meets nearby as soon as I see any.

The suggestion of support is quite valid currently every Esprit I see is through rose tinted glasses so may need some support of that nature, I think when I find the right car I shall have it technically inspected any how!

Welcome - I used to live near Southampton before I came the US!

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

Hi all!

Massive Esprit fan who is intending to take the plunge and buy one so have joined the forum as part of my research to further understand the joys of owning the Esprit :)

Will be probably asking loads of daft questions in the next couple of months as I get my house move out of the way and then start looking for the car for me, so you will have to bear with me.

Welcome to the forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is the wright place for all you questions.

Welcome Nellie. Enjoy :)

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

I am currently in Southampton but that changes in May when I relocate to Milton Keynes due to a new job, will try to get along to any meets nearby as soon as I see any.

Try and get to the Oxford meet in May, one of the biggest annual meets with usually over 50 Esprit's and some tech guys from Lotus will be there.

Will give you a chance to see many different cars.

Details will be posted on LEW (link at bottom of page) and in the events thread soon

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

Try and get to the Oxford meet in May, one of the biggest annual meets with usually over 50 Esprit's and some tech guys from Lotus will be there.

Will give you a chance to see many different cars.

Details will be posted on LEW (link at bottom of page) and in the events thread soon

Howard,

Cheers for that, I shall keep my eyes peeled and add it to my diary :) when it is added.

Date is already set for May 13, we are just waiting for final details, ie times lunch costs etc, venue will be Heythrop Park as last year

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

Date is already set for May 13, we are just waiting for final details, ie times lunch costs etc, venue will be Heythrop Park as last year

Yep, found it on LEW while looking around the site after I made my last post, date added to my diary and shall be there for a good ol' nose round the cars :)

Hi all!

Massive Esprit fan who is intending to take the plunge and buy one so have joined the forum as part of my research to further understand the joys of owning the Esprit :D

Nellie :D

I hope you are not too massive, Adam, or you won't fit. :D

Take your time choosing a car. Don't get carried away with the first one you see. It's easy to do and end up with a bad 'un.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Guy's

Thanks for the welcome, have agreed the Oxford meet with the wife so that is now a done deal.

Going to look at my first V8 later this week, not to worry won't be buying this one as it is Yellow which is not my favourite shade just want to have a good ol' nose round a Esprit now that wife has agreed to the purchase.

Nellie,

Yellow V8 is my fave. Which one is this one you're going to look at, I might know it. PM me if you prefer.

Graham.

Wing Commander Dibble DFC<br /><br />
North Midlands Esprit Group<br /><br />
NMEG "the formidable squadron"<br /><br />
"probably the most active Esprit group in the world" Andy Betts, Castle Combe May 2007

Nellie,

Yellow V8 is my fave. Which one is this one you're going to look at, I might know it. PM me if you prefer.

Graham.

Graham,

This is the one:

Yellow V8 in Southsea

Looks like it may be a repair from the photo showing the tailgate removed and the pile of masking tape, also not to sure on the gold coloured wheels :D .

Hmmmm..................I don't know this one. Saw it myself on Auto Trader. Think its been on the market for some time, supported by the different registration numbers.

Wheels are not standard colour. Not seen that colour before. Personally, I couldn't live with them.

Rear lights have also been changed. May have been purely cosmetic reason or could be something more sinister.

Why have they taken off the rear hatch and composite/sun roof? Why photograph it like that?

On some of the photo's it looks like the windows have also been darkened.

I remember you saying that this was not your ideal car because of the colour. It wouldn't be mine either because of the non-standard bits.

Have a good nose around it and report back.

Happy hunting.

Graham.

"probably the most active Esprit group in the world" Andy Betts, Castle Combe May 2007

Hmmmm..................I don't know this one. Saw it myself on Auto Trader. Think its been on the market for some time, supported by the different registration numbers.

Wheels are not standard colour. Not seen that colour before. Personally, I couldn't live with them.

Rear lights have also been changed. May have been purely cosmetic reason or could be something more sinister.

Why have they taken off the rear hatch and composite/sun roof? Why photograph it like that?

On some of the photo's it looks like the windows have also been darkened.

I remember you saying that this was not your ideal car because of the colour. It wouldn't be mine either because of the non-standard bits.

Have a good nose around it and report back.

Happy hunting.

Graham.

Graham,

Went to view the car and despite my reservations about the colour and the wheels it was stunning, the reality of the car really lived up to the fantasy I have had to dream of for most of my life!!!

The wheels are a green, bronze and gold flip and in the flesh actually complememted the car really well, bodywork looked okay but there was some signs of overspray on items such as the bonnet so would need closer inspection, tinted lights would have to go as it looked too XR3i for me, all the electrics worked well as did the air con.

Good service history with the cam belts having recently been changed by sportmotive and fully stamped book with most receipts as well.

Engine run sweetly and the car drove fantastically but I have yet to drive another V8 so have nothing to compare it against yet, the car had a stumble at idle with the aircon on however, is that normal?, also think I need to go down the gym and work the left leg muscles, the clutch was really heavy but picked up smoothly when pulling away.

Interior had some scuffs on the leather dash but other than that was clean with recent new carpets apparently, the owner also said the rear bulk head securing bolts had been modded to reduce the squeaking.

All in all I was really impressed with it and had to fight myself not to throw the credit card on the table and leave a sizeable deposit, if it is still around after I have looked at a few others I may relook at it as I was actually quite taken by it.

Plus its great fun to have kids taking pictures of you when you pull up at the lights B) , never happens in the Jag.....

FWIW a heavy clutch is usually a sign it's on its way out ....

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

Good idea to have a look at a few more.

That one has been on the market for some time suggesting there is no great rush to part with some cash (famous last words!!!!)

If you can hold out long enough, come down to the Oxford meet on the 13th May. There'll be plenty of Esprits to cast an eye over although wouldn't expect any to be for sale. Viewing will however give you the chance to make comparisons with the one you have already seen.

Revs shouldn't stumble just because the air con is on. I'm sure one of the technical guys would have an explanation and it may be nothing serious. Why not post a thread on the V8 Technical page to see if anyone can come up with an answer. Might make the car more/less attractive.

It's also worth holding out for your ideal colour combination. You might buy this then regret it because it isn't pink with a lilac interior..............or whatever.

Either way, before you commit, whether it be to this Esprit or another, make sure that someone from this forum who is familiar with the model also inspects it and gives you their opinion. Alternatively get one of the Independants/Lotus dealers to do a check for you. Costs about

Graham/Paul,

Thanks for the help and advice so far.

Searching is on hold for a couple of weeks until the Oxford meet so I can talk to some people about common problems etc and have a look at some of the owners cars to give me a valid benchmark.

Was intially frustrated at the lack of V8's on the market but since my last post I have found another 4 for sale so am slightly happier about being able to look at and chose from a selection.

Nellie :P

welcome nellie

see you liked the pics being taken at the lights lol,,,what you need is a GT3,,,,oooOOO

a light blue one with special bits is really what you need LOL,,,stand out in a crowd,

ANYWHERE.

<<<<<<<<<<<always up for selling, why i dont know, there actually bloody great cars

and as reliable as a focus, so dont let any pleb tell you there not, current spend in the last year

on mine in fixing it mmmMMMMMM

OUR CURRENT COLLECITON :- MODIFIED LOTUS ESPRIT, FULL VEILSIDE SUPRA (BEAST 409.3bhp), NEW ADDITON TO THE TROOP, 1996 S CLASS MERC (FULLY PIMPED OUT, DUB EDITION)

Nellie,

Not sure what your budget is but have you seen the lovely blue V802 on Autotrader?

It's on my door step and I'm very tempted to have a look although really I'm committed on another V8 now.

This V802 is an exceptional price (which might mean there's a problem somewhere) from a trader so comes with warranty of sorts.

It's also featured in the Men and Motors programme on the Esprit.

Not too sure about the Sport 350 wheels but wouldn't be a problem to get rid of these if you prefer another style

Graham.

Edited by Backmarker