Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
brake caliper swap.. - Page 3 - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

brake caliper swap..

i have taken pictures and will do a write up in the next day or two..

pretty straight forward. about 20 mins a wheel. a few tips  to make it easier / straightforward but nothing complicated.. will see how the pedal feels today as not driven it yet 

i have 2001 s2 elise at the moment...and enjoying the open top dimension it brings..   i was toying with the idea of a roadster v6..  as a compromise between the elise & exora...

but  the evora is just so good!...  

Damn you Andy, I was going to leave my caliper swap till next year, but looking at how good your looks I might have to do it sooner. Also, keep the Evora, especially if you have an Elise too, perfect garage combo. 👍

the transformation has me falling head over heals with the evora again...

was looking at your car yesterday, thats going to look amazing with the caliper replace... 

full write up tonight.. with pics once i upgrade my account as up to my piccy limit..

nice easy job allow 3 hours, to replace, clean your wheels inside and out,, refresh the bolt bolts.

thats on your own with one jack :)

Edited by andyj007
  • Like 1

You should have given me a shout yesterday. Although wasn't around that much as I spent some time in the Smart Roadster camp (since you've sold up, they've needed support) as I also took the Brabus. Spoke to the guy who does their forum called Babs (something to do with a dodgy Brabus plate) who used to be part of Blazing Squad; interesting guy. 

Out of interest did you use your old pads and put them in your new calipers? As like you, my pads are still in rude health, so I'd probably carry on using them when I change. 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, JAWS said:

...as I spent some time in the Smart Roadster camp (since you've sold up, they've needed support) as I also took the Brabus. Spoke to the guy who does their forum called Babs (something to do with a dodgy Brabus plate) who used to be part of Blazing Squad; interesting guy. 

‘Brabus’/Smart. 

Bibs/Babs. 

GLC/Blazing Squad. 

????

Your fantasy, parallel universe is bizarre. :rofl:

11 hours ago, JAWS said:

You should have given me a shout yesterday. Although wasn't around that much as I spent some time in the Smart Roadster camp (since you've sold up, they've needed support) as I also took the Brabus. Spoke to the guy who does their forum called Babs (something to do with a dodgy Brabus plate) who used to be part of Blazing Squad; interesting guy. 

Out of interest did you use your old pads and put them in your new calipers? As like you, my pads are still in rude health, so I'd probably carry on using them when I change. 

didnt even think about re using the old pads to be honest.... my discs are totally mint, so new pads, calipers and discs  are giving me a warm feeling inside... .

my cars done 27k not dissimilar to yours...  so pads must last easy 60k if driven in a normal matter..

i had a look over the smart stand, didnt want to linger, my eyes started watering up...  . funny enough im going to write to the owner i sold my coupe to last year , asking to give me first dibs on buying back..  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/05/2018 at 05:49, andyj007 said:

i have taken pictures and will do a write up in the next day or two..

pretty straight forward. about 20 mins a wheel. a few tips  to make it easier / straightforward but nothing complicated.. will see how the pedal feels today as not driven it yet 

i have 2001 s2 elise at the moment...and enjoying the open top dimension it brings..   i was toying with the idea of a roadster v6..  as a compromise between the elise & exora...

but  the evora is just so good!...  

Still waiting patiently for your write up Andy.  Was hoping to give it a go this weekend but will wait for your input to ensure I reduce the possibility of messing something up.

• Like 1

Just did the swap this morning.  Very simple, just time consuming (took me 3.5 hours).  Once the wheels are off its just a matter of 2 caliper bolts and unscrewing the brake fluid hose that goes into the caliper.  Attach thw new caliper and then bleed.  Use the opportunity to clean or repaint the disc hubs.

Would recommend that anyone who does this swap books the car in for a brake fluid change soon after.  My brake pedal doesn't feel as good as before even though I thought I was very careful with the bleeding.

Car now looks much more sporty and aggressive.

@Harey I used satin black Simoniz VHT paint on my disc hubs...

https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/cp4l/p/-/-/-/-/?549772211&0&cc5_161&gclid=CjwKCAjw8_nXBRAiEiwAXWe2yZpoUC-6GfbBwKcx9JWu2bTe-lVj4NAkdsBQ230weSsnjA39bG_kTxoC5mkQAvD_BwE

They still look new 2 years later. I also used it on the inner area of the exhaust tips, as a touch up on the front grilles (spray in the cap and then use cotton buds to touch up), and also to spray the exhaust heat shield ducting that starts to flake and any discolouring of the bulkhead felt material. 

Eg. 20151206_133712.jpg.6c8b13b0bc3202bf7d0c4793905c4df3.jpg

I didn't mask off any areas, I just controlled the spray away from the caliper and spun the disc to get an even coverage. Any over spray that went on to the disc face comes straight off on application of brakes when driving. (The discs are originally painted silver and first application of brake pad removes the coating the same way) 

Took a photo.. 

IMG_20180519_105404.thumb.jpg.5847b774f33d2d3cf35a79eb0738c018.jpg

Anyone know what is the best way to store my removed calipers.  At the moment Ive just put them in the box that the new calipers came in. However they still have some of the brake fluid inside them.

Should I remove the pads and pistons and then dry everything up or will leaving as is be ok perhaps sealed in a plastic ziplocked bag?

Edited by Registered

• 1 year later...

Just a wee heads up, I originally ordered Front shocks from the Motorsport auction deal and they couldn't deliver. I have subsequently seen lots on ebay for double/triple the money.

Lotus now seem to have located more new front shocks for the NA and have relisted them on MA.

https://www.motorsportauctions.com/category/420/Suspension-and-Brakes/listings/40510/Lotus-Evora-Front-Bilstein-Shock-Absorber-(pair).html

Mine got delivered this morning!

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

cheers, i got the fronts previously too.

just ordered the rears so will  have a full set..  , dare say will come in handy, and save a few pounds later... ..my oriiginals are  getting on for 9 years old , surely gonna start leaking at some point..   cost more than that to have them refurbished by bilstein... 

doesnt hurt to have them in the garage .. always sell them on...   i do have plan that needs to be approved by the lotusville crew tho..... :)

On 28/03/2018 at 09:27, andyj007 said:

thanks dave... .  that makes sense

id already got you pencilled in to swap them over come my annual service  when my evora comes back to you...the fluids need doing this year anyway..  i did get a extra over cost from you a just before xmas.. which was very very reasonable...

but thats not till september :(  not sure i can wait that long...looking at them all shiney in the box ,  being quite handy with spanners (not as handy as you boys mind) , one thing thats starting to annoy me with the evora  is the difficulty in accessing and doing little mods like this.. 

it would  be shame if something so simple as swapping out calipers cant be done with out a return to base.. to use lotus diagnostic...

lucky for me if i do decide to do it  and mess it up... i have you guys,  one of the best service centres just down the road to fix it for me..

kr

Andy

This is an ABS bleed issue not a specific Lotus issue