Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
My 380 Cup! - Page 5 - V6 Exige Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

My 380 Cup!

mark248am

• 2 weeks later...

So this weekend I took my car to the track for the first time and ran into two issues. One wasn't that major, basically the emergency flasher button was getting stuck when i pressed it, but the second issue was SUPER annoying. The front hatch was popping open on the right side in the middle of laps. I had that issue when i first got the car and solved it but on the track it started popping open again. I solved it by filling the rubber grommet with water bottle wrapping to tighten up the hole, but then the left side started popping open! It was so annoying cuz I had to pit every lap to push it down or try and not go so fast so it wouldn't pop open. In the video below you can see it pop open at the 3:12 minute mark.

Other than that the car was great on the track and felt really different when compared to my Exige S. Oh and RACE mode was amazing!

@mark248am   Re front access panel it sounds like it’s not fully latched down.  Had same problem on mine and the guys at Silverstone showed you need put a hand over area of latch then use your other hand to thump it close.  Worked a treat and no problems since. 

If you can feel any slack in latch area, it’s not closed properly 

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

I was doing the same in terms of pressing down as hard as I could, and a friend also tried at a garage, but there was still a little play by the latch area. Mine was popping up as per yours every few miles and it was driving me mad.  

Only when I took it into dealer for some warranty work and wanted this included, did they share the secret of closing it tight. it’s the short sharp whack that works .  

If you pull the clam by the latch have you got any play ?  If you have then it’s not closed properly 

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

Downloaded the video below from my GoPro last night. I shot it last weekend while at the Bahrain International Circuit. Sadly doesn't have any sound since I forgot to turn the external mic on. Doesn't really show in the video but it was my first time on track with a manual and damn was I mess with it. Some parts I forgot to upshift, other parts I forgot to downshift, mostly though I was having a terrible time heel and toeing. Although I've been practicing it a lot on normal roads, once I was on the track i couldn't get it right 50% of the time. I think my timing in the 380 Cup was 4-5 seconds slower than my times with my Exige S that was an auto. Horrible, I need a lot more practice on the track which I'll hopefully get when our local track finally opens up here in Kuwait after the summer.

On the bright side, the GoPro 6 video quality is pretty great.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

@mark248am Lived there for 11 years, great track!

30 minutes ago, GFWilliams said:

I’ve actually driven the track 4 times now, 3 private trackdays with some friends and also when I shot the P1 when it was released. McLaren lent me a just released 12C spider to use as a camera car 😎

Was lucky enough to hang around the P1 when they first brought it down to Bahrain for some shots!

20fronm.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
32 minutes ago, BigD72 said:

Hi Mark,

I'm looking to buy a 380 Cup, have you had any issues with your car?

Thanks

Dave

nope nothing yet. i'm having an issue with my gear box although i'm not sure if its an issue or if its normal. Other than that nothing really, i usually document all my issues here in this thread but nothing has gone wrong with the car. Compared to my previous Exige S which I"m totally convinced was a lemon, this car has been good.

9 minutes ago, mark248am said:

nope nothing yet. i'm having an issue with my gear box although i'm not sure if its an issue or if its normal. Other than that nothing really, i usually document all my issues here in this thread but nothing has gone wrong with the car. Compared to my previous Exige S which I"m totally convinced was a lemon, this car has been good.

Ok Thanks. Did you find out anymore on the front vents above the wheels? Do you get dirt and spray coming through them when driving? I think that's why TVR filled theirs in

I was drooling at the signature orange one that is for sale, it was at the Lotus 70th. Are you looking at one in particular?

Ive seen 380 Cups with the vents closed also. I cant work it out!

4 hours ago, razad said:

The 430 has channels inside the wheel arches taking air from the front and out the vents above the wheels.
The 380 doesn't have these.

I think it’s the other way around since my friends 430’s vents are closed but my 380 cup has them open. 

I still stand by my theory that the vents are open/closed depending on what day of the week it was and who put the car together!

A lhd drive one at B&C had them open. The burnt orange one they have has them closed. The Olive green one at Howards Lotus has them open (you can see the gravel on the ground through the vent in one of their photos looking down on to the car)

Edited by k20Rob
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Bump on ‘ventgate’

Mine are the closed off style (you cant slide your hand in to them like a letterbox), but I notice they do keep collecting little stones on top of the grey plastic. Even on a six mile round trip in 30/40mph zones I had small stones when I got home. The 380 Cup manual shows where air is meant to escape and the arrows on the diagram are EXACTLY where air can escape on the closed style vents I have. The front one, on the outer edge of the vent, I have been able to poke a single finger up through a gap and met my finger with my other hand under the wheel arech.

The smaller vent has one small circular hole drilled where the arrow in the diagram indicates air flow. So they do work, especially the small stones Im seeing even on a slow drive, just probably not as well as the fully opened ones I have seen on some cars.

4971FC12-8625-47BE-81A0-7DE04D607A4F.jpeg.e48e7f87cf24ea90f3efa12d50407599.jpeg

The rear vents in the rear bumper also dont look directly on to the tyres, but further up the wheel well I have some circular holes drilled to let some air out. So the rear airflow will be more like this:

F15F2901-A851-4BF5-90DB-B9B506E6F5ED.jpeg.fa71633210ca9eee29e2a4e072ccb4a7.jpeg

Edited by k20Rob