Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
what is 'THE' classic UK motor show to go? NEC Birmingham? - Events - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

what is 'THE' classic UK motor show to go? NEC Birmingham?

Testdriver

Going to Silverstone this year for the first time.  Many say its better than Goodwood but never been there so cant comment.  Should be great whatever.  Ask me on 23rd July!

The NEC in November is by far the best indoor UK classic show. 

Never been to SIlverstone but I've been told by those that have it's a great event. 

Not worth starting anything now...🍺

1 hour ago, Testdriver said:

https://www.silverstoneclassic.com/galleries/photographs

Looks a bit like the Goodwood Revival without dressing up - is it?

Yes but like Goodwood was 15 years ago. Excellent weekend

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

its not better than goodwood, diiferent..

i would describe is as so

goodwood revival, is a historic race meeting, festival event, whole period detail, celebration of back in the day..

silver stone classic is historic race car meeting at very modern track..ie the circuits crap to spectate historic cars and lost its ambiance ,  i mean its ok but lacks any atmosphere,  your miles away with huge chain link fences on the corners  , monsterous gravel traps etc etc.. too commercial  which kills the historic atmosphere..  its an f1 track after all..

goodwood is excellent for this... propper high speed corners, no fences, theyve done a real good job.. the attention to period detail is incredible.. buildings , stalls, actors, 

BUT.. fear not because silverstone is epic in its own way..

the race cars are fantastic, the racing, is fantastic, if your  watch it from the big screen in the back of the pits the accessibility into the pit garages is fantastic, the noise the smell..  the static car shows are huge & fantatasic, the evening entertainment  and other circuit entertainment is very good.. and free 

wouldn't miss either..

i come away from silverstone having looked more at the static cars and cars in the pits than the racing.. as there is jus so much to do...  .  thinking wow just love those cars, 

i come away from good wood, wishing i lived in the 60s

both probably the best two events to attend on the motorsport calendar in the uk..

brands hatch also has a classic historic meeting with great accessibility.. its a fantastic circuit,  but the event is only about 20% of what silverstone is...

my top tip for silvers tone..  take your bikes its a huge place, even getting between the two pits (old straight & new complex)  and you can then bike round the circuit stopping diffrrernt places ..

we camp at woodlands just off club corner.. arrive sat - leave sunday afternoon..

Edited by andyj007
  • Like 1

its only 2 weeks after Le Mans Classic so Im not allowed out to play.......:(

The Faster You Drive...The Slower You Age

(Albert Einstein  14 March 1879 - 18 April 1955)

Silverstone is too close to the Goodwood Revival, which is 07-09 September. Tickets cost a fortune, I can't afford both events, so it will be Goodwood again this year B-) I can't imagine better race action than Goodwood, you're close to the circuit and the battles on track are epic, and mrs and me love the athmosphere and the period style...

Will then maybe also go to the NEC if time and money allows to...

Thanks for your opinions!