Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
1975 Lotus Elite renovation - Projects & Restorations - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

1975 Lotus Elite renovation

Hello everyone, I have just purchased a 1975 Lotus Elite and it is getting delivered tomorrow. I am going to completely renovate, not sure what I have got yet, but will keep you posted.

congrats....and welcome.......

just what Im looking for at the moment so I'll be interested to see how you go

thanks

Gareth

The Faster You Drive...The Slower You Age

(Albert Einstein  14 March 1879 - 18 April 1955)

Welcome to the forum.

We need to see some pictures when you have it.

Whereabouts are you?

2 hours ago, ChrisJ said:

Welcome to the forum.

We need to see some pictures when you have it.

Whereabouts are you?

Thank Chris, I am down from you just outside Salisbury, on the Hampshire border.

You should try to get along to one of the meets close to you.

The Club Lotus meeting at Castle Combe on the 26th May is usually very good, free entry and not so far from where you live.

http://www.clublotus.co.uk/events/club-lotus/club-lotus-castle-combe-trackday-26th-may-2018.aspx

You'll certainly see some other Elite's so have plenty of opportunity to ask questions.

Tony

On 17 May 2018 at 19:13, TonyPoll said:

The Club Lotus meeting at Castle Combe on the 26th May is usually very good, free entry and not so far from where you live.

http://www.clublotus.co.uk/events/club-lotus/club-lotus-castle-combe-trackday-26th-may-2018.aspx

You'll certainly see some other Elite's so have plenty of opportunity to ask questions.

Tony

Car arrived late last night. Pictures of my new project below.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

22 minutes ago, TonyPoll said:

If the tyres are very old, be careful. Any tyre over 10 years old is well past it's sell by date and should be junked, even if it does have tread depth.

So any tyre over ten years old has to be binned! What about all those cars in museums and in private collections, even though they had brand new tyres on and have not driven an inch in ten years you have to bin the tyres. I did not know that!

That is a wicked interior! What a find.

You could use old tyres to plod around but if you wanted to give it some you might be better off on something newer.

Of course it's a long time since much was made the right size so I suspect most 70s lotus are rolling around on old rubber.

I just found some live wires dangling around the fuel tank. I'll look for a date on the tyres once I've sorted that out!

I'm amazed the car looks so good given the tax disc - was it indoors?

I think given the condition of the interior that it was inside, the man who owned it before had had it since 1982! The engi ne has a good amount of new oil in and it is also full of good water. I am going to see to the engine tomorrow, see what condition it is in.

i hope that it is as good as inside!

• Like 1

• Gold FFM
2 hours ago, steve clack said:

So any tyre over ten years old has to be binned! What about all those cars in museums and in private collections, even though they had brand new tyres on and have not driven an inch in ten years you have to bin the tyres. I did not know that!

Don’t drive a car on them old Tyres - a few esprits have been smashed up using old rubber - just don’t do it please

Only here once

3 hours ago, steve clack said:

The tyre thing is one of those old stories which you have to make your own decision. Museum cars are fine as they generally just sit on them.  The issue is the age hardening of the older rubber technology compounds (IIRC).  These would glass over and become so hard there was no flex or grip.  An infamous bus crash in Cornwall was attributed to 35 year old tyres with loads of tread but no grip.  However, modern-er compounds may behave differently.  An MOT would advise on aged tyres.  They can definitely be kept as show tyres to keep originality etc. or for a rolling chassis. As said most wouldn't drive on them.   Excellent effort on your project.  Brave man. 

Edited by Hawaiis0
tidy up

Welcome to the Forum Steve - Please put those tyres in the skip.

The original Philips radio and dictaphone probably covers half the purchase price..

Manuals come up on ebay every now and then, often at inflated prices, but some are available online with membership of certain lotus sites. In truth, unless your going to pull the engine of gearbox to bits, you probably wont need one. I can't remember the last time I even opened mine. These are not complicated cars.

Similar story to the tyres with a 32 year old timing belt. I wouldn't even turn it over on the starter if its 32 years old. Job one has to be to swap the timing belt for a nice new one- easy job and nice and cheap. 🙂