Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Body to chassis mounting - bobbins? Photos? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Body to chassis mounting - bobbins? Photos?

• Gold FFM

Hi all, so my car (the first S3 NA) - has always sat very low at the front of the car. It sits on standard springs (replaced) and pro-techs (non adjustable). It has had every bush replaced recently. And despite suspension renewal still sits a little too low. The front wheels still rub on the top of the arches when driving fast, with two people plus luggage in the car when going into a compression. There is also definitely less room between wheels and arches at rest. My question is, should there be a spacer or body sandwiched between the chassis and the body where the mounting bolts go through? Can anyone take a look under their car and perhaps take a picture of the area? I think my car is missing some sort of bobbin between the chassis and body and this means the car sits a little too low.... NB my car was also crashed at the front at some point in 1986, so it's possible that things where mucked about with when repairing and the fibre glass is definitely thicker in the tops of the arches where a new front end was put on, so this might account for this issue.  But any help or pictures would be very gratefully received... 

• Gold FFM

I mean the bit that (if it exists?) fits between the chassis and the body where the body bolts to the chassis at the front. There are two bolts through the frame at the front and then various others to hold the body to the chassis.

Or are you suggesting I used the spring seat rubber to raise the height slightly instead? Thanks! 

If the rubber is bad it can make 1/2 inch difference in height. Their is also a big washer between the body an chassis at the front maybe you miss it on your car.

But maybe the problem is worse and you have to look to the body chassis . Caused by bad repair after the crash.

Funny there is no big washer on mine. The body sits directly on the chassis down the central section (bar some foam that I think gets crushed down to almost nothing, the foam is there as sound deadening only). I believe there are optional washers right at the front where the bolts under the bonnet mount to the front outrigger and in the engine bay cross member if the body does not sit down fully. I think these are to take out production tolerances on the chassis / body right at the front and rear. 

The manual does show the assembly.

Be interested in any other views on this as my body has just been put on a new chassis and looking at the holes along the side does seem to sitting a little low (5mm all the way along).

cheers

C43

BTW if you struggle getting the spring seats I know Lotusbits have a box of second hand parts. I had a good look at them and they are fine to use.

• Gold FFM

So I think I will change the rubber spring things and see whether that helps. And I think also put some large / thick washers in between the body and the chassis - anyone else on what they have on their car? It could well be crash damage which is at the heart of the problem but it would be good to get more clearance between arch and wheel if possible. Ultimately, when I get the car re-sprayed we might have to take the front end off to do it properly anyway... 

And when I say, I will change, I mean of course Sparky.... 😃

• Haha 1

Henry, on the front subframe there is what seems like a rubber washer. Distance between frame and body is approx 10mm. Further back there is a sort of foam draped over the frame. Thickness approx 5-7mm

E6B9F181-A2B7-4F2C-A634-36C1FF800640.jpeg

22ECC0A7-7813-49E3-80B0-B976BF209EDD.jpeg

Ad initium

The foam in the first picture crushes down to pretty well nothing in my experience (I have just changed all mine). The rubber spacers in the second picture are there to take out production tolerances and I think would be car specific. I believe you fit as many as are needed to fill the gap when the body is resting on the chassis along the main box section but no more.

• Like 1

Been through bobbin replacement recently on my S2, confident to say that one does not have latitude in shimming the body at the forward chassis points. There, as with the rearmost chassis crossbeam, spacers are selected to accommodate the gaps which result once the tunnel-backbone and footwell bobbins are in alignment with their corresponding chassis holes. To add spacers atop the forward chassis extension for the sake of increased tyre clearance would certainly put the bobbins for horizontally oriented bolts out of alignment. Correct spacers are used, as noted, to take up the gaps arising out of production tolerances.

A simple spacer at the spring perches is likely to work for you, assuming the spring and damper settings feel good as is. Tyre diameter is correct? Is there possibly some variance from correct spring perch height with the Protech's vis-à-vis your S3?

• Like 1

If the dampers are non adjustable, surely the springs would set the ride height and the dampers would extend/retract to accomodate? If so then your rubber spacer would be the place to start to raise the ride height.

Pete

• Like 1

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

I was thinking, in error, that the S3 may have perch integral with the front damper. Now having reviewed the S3/ T/E Parts Manual I see that the spring is carried on a perch integral with the lower arm. Therefore I certainly agree there's reason to examine the rubber isolator.

• Gold FFM

Thanks everyone - very helpful. I think the rubber isolators are where I will look first... (or rather Sparky will!)

• Like 1