Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Cafe racer - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Cafe racer

pbharcourt

Is anyone else building, has built or just interested in cafe racers?

Great to see a current resugence of interest in these stripped down road racers again.

I have restarted a project that I wanted to build back in the 1980's using a Ducati single frame thats been kicking around the shed since then.

• Like 2

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • 2 months later...

Building up my own special:

1967 Ducati monza junior frame,  1970 Kawasaki 400cc two stroke motocross engine, mono shock alloy rear swing arm, upside down front forks, disc brakes, single seat, race tank.

Still loads to do yet...hopefully ready for the spring!

IMAG2862.jpg

• Like 2

Old mate of mine bought a BSA A65 cafe racer in about 1975.. I recall it had quite a deep but narrow GRP fuel tank, and a GRP rear fairing. First time on the pillion, he dropped the clutch and left me dumped in the middle of the road on my arse. Second time he was a bit more careful, and we had a thoroughly enjoyable ride, bloody noisy, smelly, hot (the bike, not my mate), but I loved the experience and love the look of these what I suppose were low-budget customs.

This bike was a move upmarket after his previous CZ 125 pos.

• Like 2

Margate Exotics.

• 6 months later...

Have a  look at the gastap, where the fuelhose is connected. They do tend to start leaking there. otherwise don't have a clue. :stuart:

Edited by gvy
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...

I've got a CX500 to convert, although I'm calling it a Café Roadster as there's no way it'll have clip on bars half way down the forks like we used to have in the original Café Racer days. I was working at Honda UK when the CX500 was introduced and although doing much of the technical training on it, I hated it, having been completely seduced by the CBX1000. But now I can see that a CX can be made into a fine looking machine. Even the engine that I thought so pig ugly at the time can be made to look great. So that's my plan.

Not top priority, but I'll get there.

• Like 1
“You can’t have too many bikes"

• 10 months later...