Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
New Shoes !!!!!! - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

New Shoes !!!!!!

Hi all - the time has come for me to reshod my s4 on the rear. Has anyone got any great recommendations for tyre companies? I live in Warwickshire but if the deasl is right could travel - or even take the wheels with me. What does anyone think?

Chris

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're a member of ClubLEW:

http://www.lotusespritworld.com/EOtherstuff/ClubLEW.html

You can get 10% of tyres at www.blackcircles.com and 3% off at www.mytyres.co.uk.

BlackCircles do Dunlop SP9000 in both front and rears for the S4. They've been tested at the factory and approved by Lotus, but only on the V8. Lotus approve only Goodyears on the 4-cylinder cars. We are looking into getting a set of rears in the next few weeks and will probably go with the dunlops. Price fitted from BlackCircles for 2 rears (dunlop SP9000) with the discount is

kato

lew_small.gif

http://www.lotusespritworld.com' target='_blank'>

You can get 10% of tyres at www.blackcircles.com and 3% off at www.mytyres.co.uk.

BlackCircles do Dunlop SP9000 in both front and rears for the S4. They've been tested at the factory and approved by Lotus, but only on the V8. Lotus approve only Goodyears on the 4-cylinder cars. We are looking into getting a set of rears in the next few weeks and will probably go with the dunlops. Price fitted from BlackCircles for 2 rears (dunlop SP9000) with the discount is

Guest glyn.harper

I've got Toyo Proxy TS-1's on my Esprit (running with GT3 alloys) and they seem to work quite well.

Apparently they're not as good in the dry as Goodyears, but better in the wet.

In normal fast road use, they seem pretty good all round tyres to me.

Just an option if you struggle getting hold of Goodyears (I believe they no longer make the rear 245x45x17 in Eagle F1)

Not tried proxy's but i had the goodyear f1 gsd2 on my elise 111s (which i think are superseeded by the gsd3 now).

they gave emense grip (especiall in the dry) and i would say the best tyre i had ever brought. certainly out performed the original pirelli's.

i will cretainly be looking around for some when mine are due.

unsure if anyone saw it but clarkson did a review on them some time back on a clio 172. i know its not the same car but he couldnt believe the difference in grip either.

Hi all - the time has come for me to reshod my s4 on the rear. Has anyone got any great recommendations for tyre companies? I live in Warwickshire but if the deasl is right could travel - or even take the wheels with me. What does anyone think?

Chris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

chris - i've used mytyres several times and found them great. i used to live in leamington and there is a great tyre place there "Tyre Stop". They will fit a set of tyres for you if you've bought mail order, or alternatively they will often match an on-line price. good bunch of chaps.

cheers

Rob

Kato,

Over on my side of the pond it is becoming very difficult to find speed rated tires for an 89 Esprit. I have a set of 16" rear rims and 15" front which helped on the last purchase. Now I am looking for another set and am running into problems finding the correct sizes in a matched set.

What is available over in your neck of the woods?

Al B.

Houston,Tx.

• 8 months later...
Kato,

Over on my side of the pond it is becoming very difficult to find speed rated tires for an 89 Esprit. I have a set of 16" rear rims and 15" front which helped on the last purchase. Now I am looking for another set and am running into problems finding the correct sizes in a matched set.

What is available over in your neck of the woods?

Al B.

Houston,Tx.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks everyone - believe it or not I've managed to eek out the old tyres from last summer until now (must admit the car only gets used infrequently during the winter) but I'm well confused by all the choices. Does anyone think it really makes much difference - I never drive the car on a track and therefore probably don't need anything too flash? Also how can I find out what tyres Lotus recommend - I've tried their web site but can't find much. I'm biting the bulltet on this next after Easter and need to make a choice but quite frankly have got no idea which ones would go best with the Goodyears on the front.

Any last words of wisdom would be gratefully received.

Cheers

I would be very interested in knowing if an en masse approach to Goodyear/Lotus may reveal the 'CORRECT' replacement tyres for the 1989 SE 16" Rear and 15" Fronts:

Front tyres: Goodyear Eagle 215/50 ZR 15

Rear tyres: Goodyear Eagle 245/50 ZR 16

As we often find through investigation most of what Lotus do and approve for our cars is actually quite carefully considered and above all appropriate! GT3's, SE Highwings and NA cars all differ in a variety of variables that must play a part in Lotus's original choice of tyre, along with what was best at the time of production.

Many people not in the know and indeed a few forum posters do have this incorrect (in my opinion) belief that Esprits were kind of 'slapped together with any old parts that were left lying round the factory'!

I very much doubt this is the case with tyres and in particular Goodyear Eagles especially if 1psi below or above the recommended inflation pressure matters as much as i've noticed.

If you are going to mod/upgrade your car and spend money on various 'go faster' bits or if you are keeping it original, i personally think that you should consider very carefully the few inches of your car that is actually connected to the tarmac!

I would be keen to purchase the exact approved tyres (Goodyears) or the correct replicas/replacement for my SE! But if needs must and we have to buy alternate manufacturers i would like the definitive Lotus choice or at worst the most tried/tested variant for my car.

Rog B)

2009 World Singstar Champion

No I don't like the Europa, Evora or Exos.

"Like a cockmonkey with 3 cocks."

SLEG_Rog.jpg

I run Good Year F1 GSD3s on my S4 (OEM Wheels)

225-45-17 (F): Way too tall, looks a little off, and rubs

Edited by karmavore

Luke Colorado, Super Spy.   -  Lotus Owner No Longer

1987 Zender Widebody 560SEC | 1994 Lotus Esprit S4 | 2013 Honda Fit EV (#269)

Interesting Lucas,

Are you saying that these tyres you mention can be fitted to my wheels?

I have seen them on something else can't remember what though wasn't an S4.

I remember another thread where someone mentioned changing the sizing - it's a bit too technical for me to be honest and i would welcome your expert knowledge with regard to putting new tyres on my standard OZ route alloys which strangely i do like!

I actually have a friend who can do exceptionally good deals on tyres if i can specify exactly what i require. I think he looked on a computer for me based on the Eagle sizes and said the Dunlop SP or some very foreign unpronouncable make but i can't remember to be honest? Either way he said 'they won't be like your tyres mate...'

:huh:

Rog :)

2009 World Singstar Champion

No I don't like the Europa, Evora or Exos.

"Like a cockmonkey with 3 cocks."

SLEG_Rog.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I've been in contact with Black Circles and they suggest Pirelli p zero Rossos on the back to run with the remaining Goodyears on the front - don't suppose anyone has any experience of Pirelli?

Chris

I had two sets of Pirelli Pzero Rossos on my 89SE with V8 wheels. The sizes were 235/40-17 front, and 285/35-18 rear.

I will not buy them again!

The rears lasted 6000miles, and I suffered a molding defect on a front tire that caused a large chunk to go missing.

P8301554.sized.jpg

They were good in the rain and dry until they wore down a bit, and then they weren't good at all in the rain.

Now I have GoodYear Eagle F1 Gs-D3 on all 4

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Don't get PZero's !!!!!!!

Had them on my Supra, only got 5000 miles out of a set and they were scary in the wet, would never buy them again, don't care how cheap they are.

Jez

Mean Green S4s

I think therefore I am - Descartes

I'm pink therefore I'm spam - Eric Idle

I had two sets of Pirelli Pzero Rossos on my 89SE with V8 wheels.  The sizes were 235/40-17 front, and 285/35-18 rear.

I will not buy them again! 

The rears lasted 6000miles, and I suffered a molding defect on a front tire that caused a large chunk to go missing.

P8301554.sized.jpg

They were good in the rain and dry until they wore down a bit, and then they weren't good at all in the rain.

Now I have GoodYear Eagle F1 Gs-D3 on all 4

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for that - best avoid the Pirellis then!