Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
A Present From My Daughter - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

A Present From My Daughter

esprit22

How do I get rid of a real bad cold that my daughter gave me, before Saturday.

Should I be taking some night nuse stuff or small red/yellow capsules?

Or how about some sort of herbal remedy?

Or just plain "old fashioned" alcohol?

What advice can you guys offer. (sniff) :crybaby:

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And I quote...

Many people of Latino or Spanish heritage will tell you that when you have a cold, no other cure works as well as a tea made of garlic, lemon, and honey.

"Make no mistake: If you come down with a cough or cold in Spain or Latin America, your host will likely serve up a pile of garlic and a hot cup of lemon honey tea," says Prevention's clinical herbal advisor, Douglas Schar, DipPhyt, MCPP, MNIMH, who was served garlic, lemon, and honey tea when he caught a cold in the mountains of northern Spain. "The combination worked quickly, but it was a bit rough going down." Dubbed the "Spanish cure," this cough-inhibiting decoction may help ease colds three ways.

Garlic

The same oils that give garlic its unmistakable scent are deposited by the bloodstream into the respiratory tract. There, they inhibit cough and cold microbes, and they are effective decongestants.

Honey

While there's little research on the subject, many cultures believe that honey is a respiratory tonic, gently improving breathing. Honey is known to be antimicrobial, and it helps the immune system fight infection.

Lemon

According to Schar, "Lemon juice reduces and thins mucus, which makes it easier to unclog a stuffed-up respiratory system." Lemon juice also alters the body's pH, potentially making it less hospitable to viruses and bacteria.

Garlic Tea Recipe

In a large saucepan, bring 3 cups of water and 3 cloves of garlic (cut in half) to a boil. Turn off the heat when the water boils, and add 1/2 cup of honey and 1/2 cup of fresh lemon juice. Strain. Sip 1/2 cup, warm, three times a day. Refrigerate extra to use the next day.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Glass, whisky, honey, squeeze of lemon, beechams powder, bit of hot water, more whisky.

drink up.

whisky, honey,.....

whisky

whisky

whisky ....

by now you have no idea you had a cold ....

And I quote...

Many people of Latino or Spanish heritage will tell you that when you have a cold, no other cure works as well as a tea made of garlic, lemon, and honey.

"Make no mistake: If you come down with a cough or cold in Spain or Latin America, your host will likely serve up a pile of garlic and a hot cup of lemon honey tea," says Prevention's clinical herbal advisor, Douglas Schar, DipPhyt, MCPP, MNIMH, who was served garlic, lemon, and honey tea when he caught a cold in the mountains of northern Spain. "The combination worked quickly, but it was a bit rough going down." Dubbed the "Spanish cure," this cough-inhibiting decoction may help ease colds three ways.

Garlic

The same oils that give garlic its unmistakable scent are deposited by the bloodstream into the respiratory tract. There, they inhibit cough and cold microbes, and they are effective decongestants.

Honey

While there's little research on the subject, many cultures believe that honey is a respiratory tonic, gently improving breathing. Honey is known to be antimicrobial, and it helps the immune system fight infection.

Lemon

According to Schar, "Lemon juice reduces and thins mucus, which makes it easier to unclog a stuffed-up respiratory system." Lemon juice also alters the body's pH, potentially making it less hospitable to viruses and bacteria.

Garlic Tea Recipe

In a large saucepan, bring 3 cups of water and 3 cloves of garlic (cut in half) to a boil. Turn off the heat when the water boils, and add 1/2 cup of honey and 1/2 cup of fresh lemon juice. Strain. Sip 1/2 cup, warm, three times a day. Refrigerate extra to use the next day.

.......so wot about the milk then....

Respect to Bibs for his culinary masterpiece - I like the addition of garlic, if not the after-effects :rofl:

However a slightly simpler but still effective recipe would be: juice of half a lemon, one generous teaspoon of honey, stir together into a cup/mug/glass of boiling water, then add a little cold water so it's drinkable. Helps soothe a sore throat at night so you can get some decent sleep :lol:

Beyond that, Lemsip max strength capsules always seem to do the trick - and better than the shop's-own-brand equivalent :respect:

Dan

"He who dies with the most toys wins..."

Menuka Honey strength 10+ and above is becoming much more widely used. I highly recommend it for a sore throat. Good supermarkets and health food shops stock it. Also garlic, vitamin C and loads of fluids, water is best.

Or,

Shred some fresh ginger, squeeze a few fresh lemons, press some garlic, add soluble paracetamol and a touch of Jack Daniels. Actually, forget all of that waffle and just drink the bottle of JD. You won't be aware of your cold symptons come the morning!

Just because you can, does'nt mean you should.

Thanks for the tips, I did try Bibs garlic tea last night. Must say that It tasted great but has'nt done the job though. Reckon it a bottle of JD tonight, CANT miss Castle Combe..