Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Left rear wheel arch heatshield - Induction/Turbo/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Left rear wheel arch heatshield

Hi all,

Just as I was enjoying the Esprit Turbo this passed summer, I noticed the immense heat coming from the left rear wheel well. On my previous '89 & newer ones the factory installed a shield, just wondering if anyone has installed this "exact" piece (see pic) on a G body N/A &/or Turbo, not looking for custom (got that now, & am not too keen on keeping it, looks, well...home made) would like this factory piece. Just wanting that little extra piece of mind for tires' sake :)

Heatshield.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

There definitely should be heatshields in the LH wheel well, from memory 2 pieces fixed to the body and one fixed to the top of the spring platform.

None of them look like the picture on the G cars, they are molded from heatproof material. 

If none of these are present this would seem to be a big risk as the exhaust is very close to the body there.

I agree, I do have the factory "top spring mount" heatshield, but somehow I too feel that the tire needs some buffer from the hot pipes. Of course many things can be custom fabricated, but I like OE looking type mods 

Been in there recently to renew my suspension. As Andy says, it’s 2 heat shields. One small moulded piece that wraps 180 degrees around the top of the shock mount and covers down to the rubber or poly spring grommet , held by 2 screws. Then there’s the outer shield made of the same heat resistant material. That one is much larger piece, flat and sort of semi circular shaped at the top. Held on by 4-5 screws, it covers about a third of the wheelarch downwards and has a clean, straight cutoff at the bottom, no fold-in flap as shown in your picture. Your shield seems to be made of metal or aluminium and that would accumulate heat and act like a boilerplate...

Ad initium

• 1 year later...
On 27/11/2018 at 07:09, canamfan said:

Hi all,

Just as I was enjoying the Esprit Turbo this passed summer, I noticed the immense heat coming from the left rear wheel well. On my previous '89 & newer ones the factory installed a shield, just wondering if anyone has installed this "exact" piece (see pic) on a G body N/A &/or Turbo, not looking for custom (got that now, & am not too keen on keeping it, looks, well...home made) would like this factory piece. Just wanting that little extra piece of mind for tires' sake :)

Heatshield.jpg

Yes, this piece is OEM shield used on 89 and later cars. Otherwise the left tyre gets badly baked.

I have fitted a custom full shield there. The inner shield protect header against water splash. In addition, it shields inner CV joint gaiter, which sustained heat damage on my car.

rsz_img_6271.jpg

rsz_img_6267.jpg

rsz_img_6268.jpg

rsz_img_6266.jpg

Edited by MrDangerUS

MrDangerUS

• 11 months later...

I found my first attempt "diamond pattern" looking crude, too "industrial", simply incongruous. I started searching for alternatives.

One day, I saw a divider wall in some supermarket bathroom (WC), and fell in love with it. I even took a detailed pictures of the bathroom wall. Sheet metal pattern was uniform, fine, uniform and aesthetically pleasing.

After a long search, I found a similar pattern and a manufacturer who makes such embossed panels in stainless steel and Aluminum, under the name "rigidised sheet metal".

Now, I think my shields look more attractive, take a look.

IMG_4603.JPG

IMG_5860.JPG

IMG_6015.JPG

Edited by MrDangerUS
  • Like 2

MrDangerUS

Looks proper!!  I have several heat shields I have removed from cars over time. I need to spend some time to recreate this shield as I’m missing it. I like the edging, while i have seen it before, where did you purchase it??

• 1 month later...
On 01/01/2021 at 18:04, Farfromugen said:

Looks proper!!  I have several heat shields I have removed from cars over time. I need to spend some time to recreate this shield as I’m missing it. I like the edging, while i have seen it before, where did you purchase it??

Thank you for your kind words.

The edging comes from www. sealsplusdirect.co.uk  or  https://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/

Edited by MrDangerUS
  • Like 2

MrDangerUS

Outstandingly clean lines.

Upon going to the seals direct website, you’ll want to find the automotive trim page. Scroll and scroll and scroll down until you find the Edge Trims (which is what I believe is pictured). 

Their self-grip ability appears based on thickness of the heat shield (which presumably is folded or rolled?) so I imagine measure thickness accordingly.

Cheers,

Scott

1986 Esprit HCI (Bosch-injected)

• 7 months later...

If you wish, I can send you a paper template of the wheel well OE or "mine" shield(s). 

My edges are not rolled nor folded, just raw. That's why I have used the U-edging.

I made a cardboard mock-up, painted a line on the wheelhouse, decided where the fasteners should be and drilled holes in the fiberglass inside the whse. Next, I fastened nut/inserts with epoxy glue. Stainless (furniture) angle brackets and J-nuts/U-nuts are from eBay.

IMG_6016.JPG

rsz_1rsz_img_6271.jpg

Heatshield OE left rear.jpg

IMG_6231.JPG

Edited by MrDangerUS
  • Like 1

MrDangerUS

I have used some four pronged T-nuts with "antlers", which I found in the local hardware store.

Alternatively, you may get some hex drive type D wood screw-in inserts from ebay.

IMG_6212.JPG

screw-in wood furniture nut-insert.jpg

• Like 1

MrDangerUS

Wow—I can picture this in my head. I’ve ordered J nuts from eBay for my front spoiler (to replace the blue/rust Ford fasteners).

I, at least,would certainly appreciate a paper template! That will be for my “Part VI of my projects—I am taking your advice to not take on too much simultaneously & have made an outline  “To Do” list to stay focused.

Cheers,

Scott

1986 Esprit HCI (Bosch-injected)