Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
mystery and disappointment - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

mystery and disappointment

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I haven't yet checked the alignment of the other fasteners,  but it looks like the bottom bellhousing bolt holes don't align with the block. I know the engine is a 911 and the gearbox is the maxi unit. People say this engine won't fit in the car due to the sump.

Pete my manifold is so cracked I'm amazed I could take the bolts out without it disintegrating. Can I purchase your spare?  I see you can get new ones (from sjs?) at three hundred notes but I'm not sure the financial implication for the other 1000 parts I'm  going to need fit the family budget.😥

Tom,

Are you sure its a 911 and not a 912?

Whilst the 911 has been done before (By Lotus in the Martini Elite for Chapman), nobody outside Lotus ever saw the install as they removed it and replaced it with a 907 off the line when they sold it.

The ignition items of your car screamed "early excel" at me, which would suggest a 912 2.2.

I had a 911 bottom end for a bit, and its a substantially different unit with at least a couple of studs bracing it all together which dont exist on the "road" 907 and 912. I swapped it for a 912 bottom end.

This may be another disappointment!  I've found the manifolds but both are worse than I remember.  One has good head-mounting flanges but is cracked where they often crack.  The other isn't cracked but has two broken lugs on the head side.  Both have "recoverable" pipe flanges.

RIMG0231.thumb.JPG.e5049f17aa60717c365f4cd6fa922883.JPGRIMG0230.thumb.JPG.78ae1deeaff2f0b1b896fe234d07e71d.JPGRIMG0229.thumb.JPG.cda790faf2e1e78cafb90de6551308e1.JPGRIMG0228.thumb.JPG.d4bc9a9db80868533f68e6190de1b781.JPG

Sorry Tom!

Pete

• 1 month later...

So the clouds of mystery are clearing.

If I'm not mistaken, my 911 block has an adapter plate holding the standard sump on there so it fits in the elite chassis.

443873120_2019-02-0718_01_04.jpg.906258c6a34f7bcfc45d8752c1568181.jpg

This explains why I have yet to find a seized bolt. A constant seeping of oil.

Shame it didn't stop the rear crossmember from rusting through😥

Hi Tom, I've noticed a few 9xx engines on the web (usually fleabay) with different sump mods, usually to put a 907 into a Sunbeam rather than the other way round.

What are your plans with the engine?

20190208_124108.thumb.jpg.8e5542bc8b2da248aff96c35ac21f924.jpg

1 hour ago, JerryS said:

Hi Tom, I've noticed a few 9xx engines on the web (usually fleabay) with different sump mods, usually to put a 907 into a Sunbeam rather than the other way round.

What are your plans with the engine?

Well the only way to fix this properly is to replace the engine with a 907.

Unfortunately I like the power and torque of the 2.2

So maybe I just replace the crankcase...

I mean I've already got the right pistons,  crankshaft and head.

Stoke measures 76mm!

• Like 1