Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Good tracks for a beginner - Trackdays - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Good tracks for a beginner

electro_boy

Howdy all, 

I want to get a few trackday dates fixed and put in the diary.  Looking for recommendations on good tracks for a beginner to drive, ie large run offs and no crazy technical bends etc.. 

I’ve been to Bedford a couple times and had a great time so will surely be back again any other tracks you guys can recommend? 

Also what trackday organisers are good?  I’ve used Javelin on my previous days and was ok, track was a little crowded and was a couple crazy guys who did a late dive up the inside but overall it was fine and marshals were giving out warnings telling people to calm down. 

Many thanks, Jai 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
4 hours ago, electro_boy said:

Howdy all, 

I want to get a few trackday dates fixed and put in the diary.  Looking for recommendations on good tracks for a beginner to drive, ie large run offs and no crazy technical bends etc.. 

I’ve been to Bedford a couple times and had a great time so will surely be back again any other tracks you guys can recommend? 

Also what trackday organisers are good?  I’ve used Javelin on my previous days and was ok, track was a little crowded and was a couple crazy guys who did a late dive up the inside but overall it was fine and marshals were giving out warnings telling people to calm down. 

Many thanks, Jai 

Definitely Bedford and great value if you can get past the static noise test. Worth honing your skills there on a quiet day. Generally the cheaper the day the more cars you have to contend with.

Silverstone is excellent but pricey this time of the year but generally less crowded than Bedford 

I think Donington is pretty safe with only 1 blind bend.

Plenty  of others which are Airfield based and are flat with a lot of grass run offs such as Kendrew and Abingdon but can have gritty surfaces 

Try this website for most organisers 

https://www.motorsportdays.com/track-day-organisers/

Thank you for the advice Colin, I'll take a look at those circuits.  I hadn't thought of Silverstone, thought it be a hard circuit as its used for a lot of top tier racing, but then again F1 requires a lot of run off space so might be quite a good one to try.

Hi buddy,

If you will not be getting tuition then the best along with Bedford is silverstone national. Cheap and well run. Lots of run off.

have a look at my thread journey into trackdays and you will get a lot of answers.

my honest advice having done quite a few now is the track isn’t the key factor, having a pro with you for the day is! They cost around £350 but they will ease you in and improve your driving quickly. Best money you will ever spend.

@Jack Layton and @david_pittard are the two I use and can’t recommend them both enough.

Yep agree with you 100% on tuition.   My first time at Bedford, I had booked 3x20min tuition slots (max num allowed).  My first session wasn't till ~11am so had some time on my own.  I've done the full LDA course so knew a bit about how to drive round a track, I wasn't driving dangerously but my pace was slow.  By end of the first session I was much much faster and the car felt more stable too.  It was amazing how much I improved in each 20 min session.

By the end of the day I was maintaining a similar pace to a new 911 GT3 RS, the guy was stuck behind me for ages and you could see in the mirrors he was on the ragged edge trying to keep up and not able to overtake me.  There is no way could have done that pace and with that composure consistently lap after lap if is wasn't for the training.

Thanks Batmobile - looking forward to our day at Silverstone.

If anyone else needs coaching from the very basics up to data analysis and trace Laps please feel free to get in touch:

jack-ph-layton@hotmail.co.uk

Regards,

Jack Layton 

ARDS  A Grade Instructor

• Like 1