Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S2 Jps Restoration Process - Page 3 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

S2 Jps Restoration Process

Hi Jean,

Suspension IS new...and gearbox it's been rebuild...so allmost like new B)

...it's taking long, but the car will be as it was 30 years ago...if not better!!!

...any help with the electrics?

Franky

Lotus Exige S2

Lotus Esprit S2 JPS #27 -restoration process-

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, the fire risk is increased by not running an airbox as there will be a haze of fuel outside the trumpets at some engine speeds at full-throttle. It will also reduce engine performance as the engine will be drawing in hot air past the engine rather than cool air from outside. I think Franky is a long way from being ready to fit the airbox yet, though.

Car looks really good. Nothing like a freshly-restored G-car.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

you scare me now!!!! :unsure:

...there's not much left to do...everything is getting allready on place, and electrics should be done in a month or so (as well as interior reassembled) ...

my idea is to get the car running in a max of two months from now... (fingers crossed)

...so what should I do to be more safe not using an airbox? Can I just put some foam or something like that? also for protecting from dust coming in...

...after two years of restoration...I don't want to burn my car on the first ride!!!!!

Edited by Franky

Franky

Lotus Exige S2

Franky, a fantastic job you have done.

I believe you have installed a SjSportcars exhaust, isn't it?

It is better to use the standard airbox, gives the best performance and it is safer against fuel spitting.

Also the engine will be less noisy. Believe me this exhaust is loud.

You have modified your engine mounts. Will this give a better comfort?

Cheers,

Jean

Hi Jean,

yes it is indeed the SjS exhaust... It's not going to be louder than my Exige with Stage2 exhaust and ITG airbox isn't it? :-)

I think there are some "trumpets" with like a fire-cutting or I don't know how to spell it but something to prevent fuel spitting around...

...I think I should put something anyway just to prevent dust coming in...isn't it?

more images of it...

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Franky

Lotus Exige S2

• 2 weeks later...

The fuel hose between the front and rear carbs looks like the old plastic piece. If it is I would recommend replacing it with something newer. The plastic gets brittle (which means it isn't plastic anymore) with age and heat and could crack with the engine vibration leading to fuel meeting up with all sorts of ignition sources. That would be a disaster.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Franky,

Great effort on the car :sofa: very nice restoration with some nice mods i.e the manifolds and suspension

will have to agree wth the above comment about the carb trumpets though leaving them with no filters is a bad

idea, they look fantastic but as said will suck in foreign objects that will not do the engine good, Also the fire

risk!

Great project keep the updates coming and hope you get it finished soon :sleeping:

regards danny

A

Thanks guys...will take all your recomendations in mind!!!

Thinking in putting some ITG foam on the trumpets...will this be ok then?

I also need replacing the rear number plate lights, as I guess it may come from another car easely to find than the Esprit...anyone knows where are they coming from?

Nice to see you here Chema!!!

Franky

Lotus Exige S2

I really wouldn't recommended loosing the air box and inlet piping on your car.

I commented on this subject about a year ago.

Just had a quick look and found it, here we go ......

Everyone knows stuff expands when you heat it up, well the same goes for air.

Cool air is more dense and hence contains more oxygen.

As cool air has more oxygen in it than warm you can add more fuel and get a bigger bang out of it for the same volume.

A VERY basic rule of thumb is that for every 1

Edited by hilly

1981 S3 4.2 V8 6 speed (The Mutant)

Mutant V8 Conversion Thread

Knowledge is power .................... apparently.

ok lesson learned me thinks :shock:

...I know everything you are telling me...of course hot air gives less power, and without the airbox, all the air is coming from the engine bay wich is hotter!!!

...just wanted to have a much nicer looks/sound ...power I can handle, but it's not my first point with the Esprit...

...but really I see the "bad points" are too many against "good ones" so probably will get the airbox back...

being said that...any idea of the rear number plate lights? :getmecoat:

Franky

Lotus Exige S2

Nice work!

Instead of taking the air from the engine bay (Or in my case, an S3, from the luggage compartment) you could consider a "ram air" conversion. A way of doing it on a Stevens Esprit is detailed here http://www.lotusespritworld.com/EGuides/EM...conversion.html

The downside of this conversion as far as I can see is that you are messing with the airflow in the engine bay.

Bjorn

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today - James Dean

"If it isn't leaking, it's empty" - Comment from a British sportscar enthusiast after being made aware of an oil slick under his car

Lotus Car Club Norway (LCCN) - lccn.no

LCCN on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/LotusCarClubNorway/

Hi Frankie,

Put a K&N or similar filter in the original airbox. It makes a really nice noise together with the tubular manifold. I've got this setup and I'm very happy with it! You don't have to worry about fumes then.

Carbs on the S2 draw air from the boot area like Steve says. The right hand ear channels air into the engine cover for cooling and the left ear channels air into the boot. You can plumb the righr ear directily into the air box. Mine was like this when I bought it so in effect you're force feeding the carbs (not quite to turbo levels!) but it actually made for less smooth running. I was amazed at the difference when it was plumbed in properly - much smoother.

Pete

Edited by peteyg

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

• 3 months later...

Hi People!!!

Getting step by step closer to the end of the process (this is neverending story) ...

...first I had some problems trying to find a Brake Master Cylinder wich it's been solved this morning by finding a similar one, and being adapted to fit the Esprit (I'm not sure wich car is coming from...see picture attached)

...now my last "hard to find" part is the Door mirrors, that seem to be really really difficult to find a replacement...

...I did tried with most of the parts suppliers without success...

Anyone knows where to find them? Or have a spare ones?

(see also graphic picture)

Thanks!!!

post-3269-1242901376_thumb.jpg

post-3269-1242901625_thumb.jpg

Franky

Lotus Exige S2

Another thing I've been surprised of, it's the cooling system...

I did rebuild my front radiator to make it a bit bigger, but just realized that there are no vents (fans) for help cooling...

Is that normal? I think I MUST install at least two fans to help cooling in trafic congestion situation for example isn't it?

Any recomendation on wich ones and how to install them?

Many thanks!!!!!

Franky

Lotus Exige S2

So i've put new fans on the radiator for cooling propperly...

web.jpg

And I turned on the engine at least!!!!!!!

Franky

Lotus Exige S2

Hi Franky,

Looking at the preceding pics of the carbs, are you sure you haven't overtightened the mounting nuts???

There's supposed to be a gap either side of the spacers for the rubber rings to absorb vibration.

Cheers,

John W

Cheers,

John W