Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
OEM Chargecooler Sought - Wanted - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

OEM Chargecooler Sought

Robert Weber

Improbably, the intercooler on my '94 S4 is leaking. I'm told by many who know better that this just never happens, but I've discovered coolant inside the plenum of my car (along with drippings on the side of the block). The coolant manifests itself under higher rpm's and boost, so my suspicion was that as the pump increases speed/flow/pressure....leakage occurs.   Sure enough, upon removing the chargecooler, filling the 'intake' side with water and applying air pressure to the 'coolant' side of the chargecooler, bubbles appeared.  There's no repairing these chargecoolers from what I understand. 

I am in need of an OEM chargecooler in the event someone has one or knows where to source one. Seeking to keep the car original, I'm really not interested in an aftermarket unit unless I have no choice.

Goodness, there must be a Lotus salvage yard in the UK with a few of these laying on a shelf?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best,

Bob

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some have replaced their chargecoolers with larger ones, so there should be a few originals out there. I still have the one from my burned out SE, but chances are that's leaking as well...

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

That is exactly the issue, Filip.  Owners with used chargecoolers sought 480 pounds for their unit and there was no telling if they had the same issue.  I have just sent my chargecooler to Pete at PNM Engineering for a rebuild. Here's his note to me:

Hi Bob,

This is not an uncommon problem, it’s due to corrosion caused when there is insufficient water in the cooler and the water / air interaction corrodes the insides.

This is mainly when cars are left standing for long periods when the levels are not topped up.

We can replace the charge cooler element if you send us your old unit.

Thanks,

Pete

PNM

Good to hear there's a solution available!

With asking prices like that and the possibility to fit a new element, I'm glas I didn't throw my old one away. In fact, I've kept everything from engine and gearbox, and have already reused some parts.

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

I had cause to look for a new charge cooler some time ago, the thread in the bleed plug had stripped. At that time they were available at about £980. I had my original one repaired by a machinist.

Margate Exotics.