Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
So I Bought An Apple Iphone Today .... - Technology & Gaming - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

So I Bought An Apple Iphone Today ....

fmxa

Now I'm not one to usually buy something the day it's released with all the hype etc, but after playing with an iPhone I bought one on the spot! I've never seen such a clear and high resolution display on a PDA before, and how the phone works by touch is incredible. If you use a blackberry/treo you need to check the iPhone out. Only issue so far was Cingular/AT&T took 9 hours to activate it.

Quick pic (not very good mind you) to illustrate the screen resolution, you can zoom in/out of the screen by touching it!

post-87-1183259352.jpg

Edited by fmxa
Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

Now I'm not one to usually buy something the day it's released with all the hype etc, but after playing with an iPhone I bought one on the spot! I've never seen such a clear and high resolution display on a PDA before, and how the phone works by touch is incredible. If you use a blackberry/treo you need to check the iPhone out. Only issue so far was Cingular/AT&T took 9 hours to activate it.

Quick pic (not very good mind you) to illustrate the screen resolution, you can zoom in/out of the screen by touching it!

Thats interesting, lots of hype here on the iPhone but pricing is very high.

Are you signed up for all the bits and do they perform.

T

I have to ask myself - 'do I feel lucky'?

It lives up to the hype, albeit a little on the expensive side at $499 & $599 for 4 & 8 Gig but worht it. I've recently been using the latest blackberry 8800 and the iPhone makes it look like a stone tablet. Over here there are no real extra bits to sign up for, it's a voice and data plan all-in-one.

They are selling it in the states with integrated voice and data plans. $60 (US) will get you 450 minutes and unlimited email/data/web. All the phones come with Visual Voicemail. A $79 plan and $99 plan are also offered with more minutes.

The issue in the US and in particular the northeast where I am is the dropped calls. ATT/Cingular has just about the wrost performance of all the carrier both in my experience and in Consumer Reports review. That doesn't help the iPhone.

I alsmost bought one anyway but decided to hold off a bit. I have a company owned Moto Q and for me its free. So until they deploy some more business oriented stuff like wireless Exchange push email and full wireless synch (calendar/address book, etc) I will have to suffer a bit longer.

Dom Giangrasso

1977 S1 Esprit - Lagoon Blue

So envious, do you use any other Apple product?

I have a 17" Imac and a 60gig Ipod. I think Apple should steal Honda"s tag line, "don't you love it when things just work" I have to use a PC laptop for work soooo frustrating when the thing crashes or catches a virus. To anyone out there who thinks Apple stuff is expensive, it's worth every penny cuz it works. The only time I have ever had a problem with my Mac the dealer was so shocked they repaired it FOC even though it was out of warranty, now thats service. I wish Apple would make printers, because I'm sure they would not eat paper.

fair enough, spose I did sound like an Apple obsessed geek, hang on I'll have to go my laptop has just lost 6 hours work and the printer has jammed.

It's funny, I always detested Apple products (especially AppleTalk and the old MacOS) and bought my first OS X Mac Book simply because it matched the aluminum furniture of my old batchlor pad (how sad is that!). After a while I started playing with it and found OS X to be a superb OS light years ahead of Windows, but keep in mind I say this as I'm from a UNIX background and love CLI's and all the X11 stuff built into the Mac. Next I won a video iPod in a raffle, and this really made me look into Apple products as I was so impressed by how well it was designed and worked.

I now have a bunch of Apple hardware, yes it's expensive but it works a treat and is very well made - compare a MacBook Pro to a Dell laptop and you'll see what I mean. I do have a XP laptop and desktop, but I'm about to retire these and run my remaining Windows only apps via Parallels on the Mac.

What made the biggest impression on me was the bundled apps such as iMovie and iPhoto and how easy they are to use, I even edited and made a DVD recently without RTFM! I think these positive results gave me the confidence to buy the iPhone on its debut, and so far I'm not disappointed.

Only issue I ever had was getting used to a one button mouse, which I finally solved by using a PC 2 button mouse which works like a charm. Yes, there's a learning curve, but Apple make this very easy by offering free training on their products at the Apple retail stores. I'll keep my XP laptop to run programs like FreeScan and OBD2 software but I doubt I'll ever go back to Windows for the most part. I too my sound like an Apple obsessed geek, but I need reliability in my tool set and Apple has consistently delivered, whereas Windows has left me in the lurch one too many times - as always your milage may vary!

So envious, do you use any other Apple product?

I have a 17" Imac and a 60gig Ipod. I think Apple should steal Honda"s tag line, "don't you love it when things just work" I have to use a PC laptop for work soooo frustrating when the thing crashes or catches a virus. To anyone out there who thinks Apple stuff is expensive, it's worth every penny cuz it works. The only time I have ever had a problem with my Mac the dealer was so shocked they repaired it FOC even though it was out of warranty, now thats service. I wish Apple would make printers, because I'm sure they would not eat paper.

I am so glad you posted that Graham, made me laugh a lot.

Its not a bad sterotype of the average apple owner!! And No ..I am not getting my coat.

People do windows down, mine never crashes, boot up, then surf email , play BF 2, more surfing , get my updates (some automatically), surf some more, then shut down. Easy peasy.

I have a little samsung MP3 player and it does the job nicely and beats Ipods on battery life hands down. And before I here some one say oh but the mac stuff is easier to use , my mum can work it and she is as big a techno-phobe as there is. Our family still reckons she never mastered the vcr, and we are on to digital hard disk recording now!

Yes mac gear is ok, but it doesnt make your knob any bigger.

Nuf said :( the alternatives.

Alex

LOL! This is a like debating if a Lotus is better than a Ferrari etc. At the end of the day it comes down to what makes you comfortable, which is what you should use. FWIW I use Solaris with JDS/CDE for the majority of my daily work so I'm used to torturing myself!

I think apple has come on a long way since the Beatles launched it back in the sixties, it was just a record lable then, you wouldnt have thought John, Paul, George and Ringo would have know much about computers...

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvis...mbers/espritguy

the function of the iPhone is amazing.

I used to have a Blackberry but the service charge is just too expensive (I was paying US$100 monthly)

and then I switched to a WM5 OS PDA phone (Dopod 818Pro), the service plan is only US$20 monthly with no time or capacity restriction in internet and email access) **and it checks email periodically anyway.

Recently, I changed to an UMPC (Fujitsu U1010) it uses Wi-Fi (over 4000 access points in Hong Kong)

and it is a true PC running Windows Vista. It is the best business companion for me now.

After my experience with expensive phone bill in Blackberry, I will not consider iPhone anymore.

Edited by esprithk

That's an impressive looking piece of technology Eric, don't think I've seen them in the US and at $20 a month you can't beat it. To answer your question Bib's, the Apple stores stayed open until midnight so I stopped by ~11:00PM and found 2 people in line. The guys working there did say the line went clear around the building earlier in the day.

For some reason we get really shafted on all our cellular costs in the US - have to pay for incoming calls, everything is extra etc. I'm paying $59 a month for 450 peak (7:00AM to 9:00PM) minutes and unlimited amounts of data with nights and weekends free.

Apologies for using Ferrari/Lotus as a comparison - don't know what I was thinking as clearly Lotus is better, as is the ..... oh never mind :(

• 4 months later...
  • Gold FFM

All I keep reading is Internet is slow - Is this correct?

How long does it take from switch on to get into LEF?

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!