Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
- Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's insane ....

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

Are they carbon discs? :animier:

I'll look into this and see if that's right but it sounds very expensive to me!

Hi Bibs.

No the discs are normal cross-drilled ones with AP calipers. The labour element to fit was

Does seem a tad high, although the S350 / 02 disks are not exactly cheap.

BTW I actually had good comms with AP about a custom setup to mine which was nigh on identical to the s350 specs. Each Rotor was

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

When I was researching the options for the front brake upgrade I contacted my local AP stockist, they asked for details of discs needed so i gave limits on sizes etc, and they asked what it was for, as soon as they told AP it was for a Lotus they popint blank refused to discuss the sale. That was despite the fact i din't want the Lotus stuff.

I contacted Lotus to get an email saying "we don't use the sizes of discs this customer wants2, instead I got an email back saying, talk to a Lotus agent, who said "we can't help, try AP directly".

So if you get anywhere with AP. Well done.

p.s. I went with Wilwood- not beauce they're any better/ cheaper etc, but I could get answers.

Andy

Thanks for the information everyone.

I'll be contacting PUK or PNM for the discs. I only need the rotors, the bells are fine. I didn't know that the Lotus discs were unique or that they included the centre bells. I supose that this goes some way towards explaining the price, but the centre bells don't wear out - so why do lotus include them?

The 330mm option with caliper spacers sound tempting too! though I suspect that this would leave a 5mm unswept ring around the base of the disc which would eventually go rusty.

Now all I have to do is figure out which pads to use!

Your standard disc are 323mm and new are 330mm. This only gives 3.5mm difference.

As for AP and Lotus, they have made them a different PCD and hole number. I have the Lotus AP and bell diamters on my PC so I know this. Unless AP have very recently change their policy and also their products Iam pretty sure Iam right.

PCD is different - I asked AP about this and they gave me the wrong info on it originally.

AP were extremely helpful to me and went out of their way to provide tech data and recomended systems.

Pads imo are easy !

Unless you're doing track days I would just go with a generic pad like Redstuff or similar.

Road braking is different becuase the disk / pad are usually cold when you need them to work, unless you're doing emergency stops at every corner you need a mild compound which will slightly reduce braking distance but provide a longer life to the pad / disk.

Unless you want ultra stopping power (in which case I would suggest putting that money into tyres !) get an uber expensive pad which will bite from word go. These however dont last long and wear the disk out faster too.

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

Performance Friction discs are getting rave reviews in the evo world. They have just released a set of replacement discs for the AP conversions you can get on the Evo.

http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.p...threadid=160049

I've mailed him to ask if he can do something for Esprits.

Regards

Fred

Your standard disc are 323mm and new are 330mm. This only gives 3.5mm difference.

As for AP and Lotus, they have made them a different PCD and hole number. I have the Lotus AP and bell diamters on my PC so I know this. Unless AP have very recently change their policy and also their products Iam pretty sure Iam right.

The Sport 350 / AP discs are 320mm, not 323mm.

If you use a 330mm disc and space the calipers away from wheel centre by 5mm, there won't be an unswept area on the outside edge, although there may be on the inside edge, depending on the friction area on the disc.

I've got the PNM replacements on mine with the original Lotus bells, however, the PNM discs are not 32mm thick (30mm I think) and did not have a small step machined into them as the AP discs on my car did. This meant that the caliper was rubbing against the outer friction face of the disc. In the end, I spaced the caliper outboard (towards wheel face) by 1.5mm with washers, to stop the rubbing and centre the caliper on the thinner disc.

No problems with the PNM discs once fitted and set up ...

Edited by scoule

Hi Sonny,

Yes we carry these disks for your car. They come as a complete unit with the centre bells included.

The reason why we donot sell the discs alone is the fact that here in Germany there are safety regulations (T

Marcus

• 3 months later...

Sonny,

Did you get this sorted out in the end?

I'm looking for front discs and bells for my nice new shiny blue AP calipers, ex Lotus sale.

There are a lot of options there at a very wide variation in price. It is all a bit bewildering. :)

Cheers,

Stuart.

Driving Automotive Aristocracy Since 2004

I have used PNM's replacements on the Rear of my sport 350 .They came with a slightly diffrent offset spacer as the discs are slightly thicker.I think from memory you can have grooved or drilled discs.They were about