Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Brooklands New Year's Day Classic Gathering - UK - London - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Brooklands New Year's Day Classic Gathering

Escape

Anyone planning to go there to start the new year with other petrolheads? Usually Lotus is a bit under represented, despite my best efforts.

I'll be taking my Elan JPS over this year. First time doing such a long trip (abut 500 miles), should be quite the experience. 

Greetz,

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

I'll keep an eye out for another Lotus Justin. 😉

Mind you, I think this year the rules for access to the track part are pre 1990, modern specials get a separate parking space just to the left of the main entrance. The 340R would definitely stand out in that crowd.

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Chris, Keith, I'll make sure to look for your cars!

Filip

Very sad to report I didn't make it. Especially when seeing the pics of the lovely Esprit line-up.

Is was not for lack of trying. I got up a 03.00h, had a rather smooth 150 mile drive to Calais but with an occasional misfire near the end. Once in Dover the misfires increased, almost leaving me stranded uphill on the M2. Managed to limp back to the ferry port, made it on and off the ferry (with some help from P&O and a yard tractor) and then trailered back home... 😞 😥 

Everything points to the distributor, I did all the check I could on the side of the road, but couldn't find anything. I'll report when I've had a chance (and found the courage) to investigate further.

Filip

• Sad 3

Sorry to hear that Filip, looks like you'd put a lot of effort in only to be caught out close to your destination. If you're ever in trouble in Kent again, let me know and I'll do what I can to help mate.

• Like 2

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

56 minutes ago, Escape said:

almost leaving me stranded uphill on the M2

M20, M26, M25 towards Gatwick is the quickest way to Brooklands. For next time. No M2 needed.

We hope to see you in Blighty again soon. Happy New Year.

Justin

Justin, I got my numbers confused, it was the M20 and not the M2 I was on. Been down that road more times than I can count. 😉

@Bibs thanks a lot for offering to help! In this case, I don't think there was much that could have been done, unless someone close by had a spare distributor. And even then there was little time to try and fix the Elan, best option was to try and get back. I hope I don't get in to trouble again, but it might be a good idea to start a support list with members that are willing to help others. We had something like that with the Land Rover club (including recovery if you got stuck), very useful especially before the time of smartphones etc. The Triumph club has a similar list, with several international members. Why not start one for Lotus owners? With all the knowledge and willingness to help out on TLF, that should work great. And can only lead to meeting interesting people.

Greetz,

Filip 

• Like 2