Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
1976 Elite restoration. - Page 19 - Projects & Restorations - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

1976 Elite restoration.

In your image, the main part of the airbox that's fixed to the carbs is for a 912 engine (S2.2 Elite and Eclat). The part the pipe fits on looks homemade. 

912 airbox has clamps, 907 airbox is screwed together.

https://www.rdent.com/manuals/elite_and_eclat/engine/eo912.htm

https://www.rdent.com/manuals/elite_and_eclat/engine/el.htm

🙂

It's getting there......

What size rivets are you using?  I think the originals were about 2.5mm diameter - smaller than "normal".  Have you remembered to use blind rivets to stop water ingress?

Pete

Hi Angus, have made template , just need to get some sheet, that’s the stupid bit considering I had my own sheet metal fabrication company.  When I retired from engineering took loads of sheet around half a ton to the scrap yard.  

Tony 

I will need an answer to this as well - forgot to tell the sprayer to mask off the screen bonding zone.  The original screen was bonded to the gelcoat.  Don't know if Lotus put screens in before spraying the body but I wouldn't think so, which means they left the area for screen bonding paint-free.

Pete

Have given it a rub down now , as thinking the adhesive should between glass and body and now chance of paint flaking and letting waterin behind.  
Tomorrow morning will see how it goes, had a call from the fitter already, not the best call but we shall see. 

Tony 

Hi Pete, after the first phone call from the original fitter( pre visit call) left me thinking this is not going to go well, today the fitter who turned up was a different person ( original one phoned in sick😀).   
He had a quick look and said right have this in around 10 minutes. Straight onto it , body and glass edges cleaned and primed , bead of adhesive around aperture, screen laid on top, checked position , a bit of pressure applied in various places, bottom and vertical edges good. He was not happy with the top edge as screen was proud above the roof. So a piece of 3x2 wood was wedged between tunnel and roof to raise sagging roof , and perfect fit. 
lm fitting the trim around it later once I’ve decided what to do with colour.  
He recommended leaving the wedge in for a week.  Guess it’s not had a screen in for years and roof had sagged over time.  
He was very professional and yes around 10 minutes to fit.  
Definitely not worth attempting to do myself. 
Any doubts, just hope the adhesive can hold up the roof once driving on Norfolk roads. 
Well happy. 

• Like 1

Tony 

About 2 year after I had my screen fitted it started to leak from the top. It seems the adhesive never sets completely, for flexibility, and the screen can gradually slide down over time. There should be a couple of spacers at the bottom to prevent this happening.

Moving on to the interior of my Elite which the seats look to be covered in 1950/60s double decker bus seat fabric, what is the preferred material , leather or fabric ?

Need to start sorting this as one upholsterer I contacted today is busy for next four months. 

Tony